Midlife-crisis

"Reverse engineering" Razor Crest MOC

@jdubbs, @icm Good points both of ya, I just wish you did the discussion in a different thread :) Then I would possibly add my own insight and experience in this. But I feel like this MOC WIP topic has been diverted enough already and I encourage everyone not to steer it any further away from its point.

@Midlife-crisis is there any chance you can do the air intakes without the flex tube? That means achieving that curved slope ring by some radial array structure instead? Just asking, I know that the flexitube is the goto solution for most people in most such cases, but for some reason, it always felt... Idk, not satisfactory to me :)

Second, I am wondering what is your motivation to use the technic beams for the support struts to the engine blocks, instead of technic bricks. In my experience stacked technic bricks (or not even stacked) work better in preventing some bending, which seems to be the case here. Technic beams are IMO a good substitute when they are reinforcing the structure in 'tension' or 'compression', but not necessarily when the load is lateral and you want them to stay straight :)

Last, I have my fingers crossed for self-supporting landing gear, although I have my doubts about the current design. But really, if it was my decision to make, I would even allow some sacrifices on accuracy in order to make the side/back landing feet beefier and better structurally incorporated to the frame in order to achieve that! clear stands just suck IMHO :D

Thank you for your contribution @Kristof i like this air intakes and have no idea or plans so far to change them. What i want to change a bit, is the backside of the engines, but with a similar building style.

I totally agree with you about the liftarms and i will change them to technicbricks. i used them in the first place just to determine the size and proportions with the engines. And have them in my stock. But this part of the ship is more experimental at the moment. I have ordered all needed bricks in the meanwhile and started with the building process.

The landing gear will be a difficult task. The connection with each wall "should" be strong enough. In case it isn´t, there would be enough room to connect both landing gears within the ship´s bottom plate. To get rid of those transclear elements has a high priority for me too.

Iteration Nr.2 for the Weapons. And i started with the lower panels - the hinges are invisible - a minor flaw in the original model that was also on my to do list.

thumbnail_razorvsj4y.jpg

Switched the frame for the engines to technic bricks as @Kristof suggested. Already built it in real bricks - no bending with the weight of an engine.

Next step is the design of the cockpit itself.

thumbnail_razor2p8j2h.jpg

Edited by Midlife-crisis
picture added

On 2/16/2020 at 12:21 PM, Kristof said:

@jdubbs, @icm Good points both of ya, I just wish you did the discussion in a different thread :) Then I would possibly add my own insight and experience in this. But I feel like this MOC WIP topic has been diverted enough already and I encourage everyone not to steer it any further away from its point.

If a thread is started about this subject, please post a link.

I wonder... If Midlife-crisis did plan to share the LDD files, would it be all right? What if he planned to sell them?

13 hours ago, Gray_Mouser said:

If a thread is started about this subject, please post a link.

I wonder... If Midlife-crisis did plan to share the LDD files, would it be all right? What if he planned to sell them?

move along now.... move along.

I would really like a mini fig scale razor crest to go with my UCS slave 1. This moc would probably be the best chance to get that, unlikely to see razor crest done on that scale any time soon. I hope the plans for this model are released.

Have you seen the lego set? I gotta say I quite like it :) The printed cockpit looks nice.

I go to the trouble of signing up the day it gets released. I've been watching this thread, now a viable model gets released, not till September but that's Christmas sorted for me. Still would be interested in a mini fig scale one but considering it would probably be about £1k to buy the bricks to make it ill stick with the official release razorcrest.

@Kristof really surprised they didn't use that 3x3 fender piece. Looks about the right scale... even if it isn't, it would look a whole lot cleaner than their current implementation. I would've bet money LEGO designed that new piece specifically with the Razor Crest in mind. Oh well...

holy moly :)

The cockpit window looks really nice but unfortunately it is only 6studs wide. 129€ seems to be really cheap for the official model considering the skyrocketing prices of Din and Baby Yoda Minifigs.

@Brick-Wombat I know, right!? Frankly I don't think the intakes look bad as they are but sure the cleaner version would be better. One thing that goes to the lego design is that the longitudinal curvature is closer to the round slope they used than the 'almost' 90 degree circular curve created by the fender pieces.

Anyway, the window piece seems to fit the cool model by Thomas Jenkins! I gotta say that my interest in the model in given scale increased by a lot now :)

The proportions of the body from the topview, i think it is accurate enough for the moment. Any other opinions?

thumbnail_razorcrest76j4q.jpg

Edited by Midlife-crisis

Thank you @dvogon, unfortunately the proportions of this fanart are not correct - the tail is to wide/short. I guess it is a very early fan model before the mandalorian series was published?

Basically it shows similar flaws as Richboyjhaes model. So i assume he used it as reference.

But i also noticed at least 2 different Razor Crest CGI within the mandalorian series, but all are minor and mostly about textrues.

4b5af5d4844db2bb7629ayhjk4.png

Started with the building process, stability is surprisingly good at the moment.

Axles seems to hold right now. An option would be to use shorter axles - it would reduce the leverage of the landing gear.

20200228_18153778jzz.jpg

20200228_181638xjj3p.jpg

Loving this! The tail proportions looks much improved, both in renders and in the actual build. 

Are the legs intended to be detachable for "airborne" display? 

Not sure if my eyes are deceiving me, but those technic struts appear to be bending ever so slightly. I imagine bending might be a problem when the full weight of the model is resting on them. Whether it becomes an issue or not, I'm sure you'll find a clever solution to address it!

Edited by Brick-Wombat

thank you very much @Brick-Wombat!

Weight will be an issue for sure - the landing gear isn´t detachable - it is connected with the lower and upperside of the wall multiple times. Changes are possible - i thought about another angle of the technic connectors as well as the shorter axle and the use of a 15654 instead of 62462. This should reduce the leverage on the landing gear. But i have no idea yet if it is enough. Also possible would be to add a layer rubber surface on the landing gear to prevent sliding sideways under the weight.

Still waiting for necessary (invisible) engine parts. Each engine consists of ~750parts in finished condition. The engine on the picture has nearly 400gram weight.
It is an early version and after i have a stable mounting solution i will add some textures - there is a really nice shot of the engines during landing, with visible flaps.

a47a1d0f16a6cb15190a4yhklt.jpg
20200229_092953fajrc.jpg

Something I noticed which I don't think you addressed is that where the body connects with the "wings" is noticeably wider behind them.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Good evening @gotoAndLego,

i have reduced the width of the front wings during the different iterations. But i´m not sure if you are talking about the upper covers or the main body below the wings?

Here is a picture:

comp53qkmm.jpg

Edited by Midlife-crisis

4 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

I just meant when looking at the top-down view.

so you think the difference is still to small? Will look again at the reference material, anyway your objection is much appreciated!

Started with the cockpit-section today, have to admit, i have goosebumps.

Better pictures will follow, i promise :)

Some parts will be LBG in the end - but i have the wedges only in DBG.

20200302_234245nvjl6.jpg

Edited by Midlife-crisis

This is looking really nice. I’m very interested to see what you do with the curved front of the cockpit. I haven’t seen a perfect solution for that yet.

3 hours ago, ScottishDave said:

This is looking really nice. I’m very interested to see what you do with the curved front of the cockpit. I haven’t seen a perfect solution for that yet.

thank you! My solution isn´t perfect for sure, but it should look better than hinges. The needed parts are ordered. Worked on the engines today, nearly finished. ~800parts per engine and they are heavy! Will need some additional support within the structure to prevent bending. Will start now with the surrounding panels.

20200303_160350t9kk9.jpg