Midlife-crisis

"Reverse engineering" Razor Crest MOC

Good evening,

i have fever, (no, not Covid-19) but i need a break… 

Made another iteration on the landinggear as  - different angle, shorter axle, connected within the bottom structure.

Some covers are not finished yet, maybe next week when i feel better.

YES the Razor Crest can stand without bending and trans-clear bricks on the landing gear. :excited:

The cockpit is also finished, i hope you like my approach. Partcount around 4700parts. It will be around 5K in the end.

Will provide good quality pictures when the whole thing is finished.

supportbrj4o.jpg

sideu1j66.jpg

frontppk0h.jpg

I'd really like to see this ship finished. Plans, instructions and cost to build would be graciously appreciated.

I'm most impressed by what has been seen so far.

Besides the lack of detail inside the engine intakes, you have made the best Razor Crest MOC by a long stretch. Congrats!

@Midlife-crisis When you started this topic, I was expecting pretty slow going sort of LDD WIP topic that would be mildly exciting at best. Little did I know that in a month we would be looking at a nearly completed model which seems like a great and largely original design! I can only dream about having such determination and drive :) I'm looking forward to seeing the last few touchups in place. The cockpit is, frankly, not my cup of tea but that's entirely my problem of never fully accepting flex tubes and hoses as a satisfactory building technique. I totally appreciate the severe lack of other good options. Similarly with the engine intakes, where I would still like to see a different method for attaching the bows, but again, just my skewed preference. Other than that and overall I am just impressed.

3 hours ago, Kristof said:

@Midlife-crisis When you started this topic, I was expecting pretty slow going sort of LDD WIP topic that would be mildly exciting at best. Little did I know that in a month we would be looking at a nearly completed model which seems like a great and largely original design! I can only dream about having such determination and drive :) I'm looking forward to seeing the last few touchups in place. The cockpit is, frankly, not my cup of tea but that's entirely my problem of never fully accepting flex tubes and hoses as a satisfactory building technique. I totally appreciate the severe lack of other good options. Similarly with the engine intakes, where I would still like to see a different method for attaching the bows, but again, just my skewed preference. Other than that and overall I am just impressed.

Agreed, @Midlife-crisis this is one heck of a ship. Also agreed that while the flex tubes and hose technique isn't something I'm a fan of, there's really nothing else you can do.

Thank you all for your great feedback. I also would not consider my cockpit to be "the" perfect solution - but to me it looks better then some alternatives. I´m still waiting for some smaller orders. Don´t know when i

get them considering the current situation, and it makes no sense to work on the lower backpanels, as long as other areas aren´t finished. The estimated price for now is around 450€-500€ for the bricks. Minifigs not included *huh*.

6 hours ago, Midlife-crisis said:

Thank you all for your great feedback. I also would not consider my cockpit to be "the" perfect solution - but to me it looks better then some alternatives. I´m still waiting for some smaller orders. Don´t know when i

get them considering the current situation, and it makes no sense to work on the lower backpanels, as long as other areas aren´t finished. The estimated price for now is around 450€-500€ for the bricks. Minifigs not included *huh*.

Seems like a good price for all the parts, especially for the model.

And I don't know about you guys, but while I did close down my bricklink store, the orders I'm a buyer in have been proceeding normally, so you should be able to get those parts despite SARS-CoV-2

The model is coming along very nicely! I really like the look to it.

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Seems like a good price for all the parts, especially for the model.

And I don't know about you guys, but while I did close down my bricklink store, the orders I'm a buyer in have been proceeding normally, so you should be able to get those parts despite SARS-CoV-2

Haha not for us Australians, the Australian dollar has dropped a lot compared to usd and euro, now everything is 1.5 times more expensive when buying from overseas

The missing parts are shipped today (Lego.com - Germany), i should get them in the next 3-4working days.

I have also closed my (littl) bricklink store, because we have a "exit lock" in Austria. AUD tanked hard yesterday, but every currency did against USD.

Wish you all good luck and a healty 2020!

5 hours ago, Midlife-crisis said:

The missing parts are shipped today (Lego.com - Germany), i should get them in the next 3-4working days.

I have also closed my (littl) bricklink store, because we have a "exit lock" in Austria. AUD tanked hard yesterday, but every currency did against USD.

Wish you all good luck and a healty 2020!

6 hours ago, Reaper said:

The model is coming along very nicely! I really like the look to it.

Haha not for us Australians, the Australian dollar has dropped a lot compared to usd and euro, now everything is 1.5 times more expensive when buying from overseas

Ah, I thought you were meaning that you couldn't get parts due to other stores closing, but just general stock crash/currency dropping makes alot more sense. Sorry to hear that. Stay safe, everyone.

Got the missing parts today. I´m not 100% happy with some of the back panels, might rework a few them but overall i´m very satisfied with the result.

rc92zktc.jpg

rc7d5jsw.jpg

rc6gikfm.jpg

rc8kjjeh.jpg

rc538kmg.jpg

rc4z6joz.jpg

rc3lhjnl.jpg

rc2qjj8m.jpg

rc1p4k0s.jpg

@Midlife-crisis Absolutely stunning work, you’ve really made this ship your own!
The details are probably the best around, I think they’re significantly better than the one you were originally basing your design on. The rounded ‘nose’ and dorsal shaping are very good, I love the embedded greebling on top, the engines are more or less perfect and in particular your cockpit is the best solution I’ve seen so far. I’ve never seen tubes and minifigure hands used like this before, it’s really really clever and the overall shape is spot on. The details really steal the show and almost detract from your hull, which is also excellent, those big angled sections connecting so neatly look very impressive. If I’m honest I hadn’t checked your updates in a couple of months and I regret not catching up earlier, especially since I’ve been working on a micro Razor Crest and over the last couple of hours your build has helped me correct the proportions of mine, so thank you! Great work :)

Edited by mcphatty

Thank you all for your great feedback, much appreciated. @mcphatty, i´m looking forward to see your micro Razor Crest. Glad my reference "research" was helpful for you.

I´m not going to make instructions or sell them, i think this will cause other "reverse engineerings" and in the end we will get even better models of this ship. Similar to the Star Destroyers or Venators, each iteration improves the models.

Very impressive, my kids and I have been following this post as they want to build a Razor Crest. I will make one last request/plea to make these instructions available... with the COVID-19 keeping kids at home and no ability to play with their friends, we are running out of things to do, especially as this will likely continue for at least another month—if not longer.  We have rebuilt almost everything we own (as well as new designs) and have a limited stock of other legos we’re doling out. When some people panic bought TP, my wife and I panic bought legos!

We have a surprise of the big Millenium Falcon waiting (yes, I can no longer show them this post until after we’ve given it to them!?), but that will only last so long. 

Anyway, I understand if you don’t want to provide them, it’s a great model and we really like it. 

5 hours ago, Midlife-crisis said:

Thank you @Reaper

@AO21 i´m working in health care, it´s a very busy time for me, as you can imangine. Sorry no instructions in the near future.

Completely understand that we may not see instructions for awhile.

Stay safe, and thank you for continuing to do your job and help people in this pandemic.

I had no idea and completely understand. 

Please stay safe and THANK YOU for all your work and helping others during these uncertain times.