896gerard

[UPDATED] Lego Technic linear actuator performance measurement (including new XL actuators)

Scroll down for video

You all will know that new XL linear actuators are on sale for some time now. To my knowledge, there is no video or result that directly measures the exact weight that they can push away.

So here we are, this is my measurement setup. It is a basically a Technic tower that can support more than 15 kgs in either Z direction. Should be plenty. A weighing scale of 5 kgs is below the pushing rods. As we speak, I'm doing the measurements. The photo below is very fresh..

firstimage.jpg

I'm going to measure five types of actuators: 

1. The 'old' linear actuator sold before the 8043 fiasco. 
  2. The improved linear actuator that was sold after 8043. 
  3. The new XL linear actuator
  4. The large pneumatic actuator
  5. SURPRISE This is the first time my homebuilt Laser Sintered 3D printed linear actuator will be shown to the public. It features an inboard electric motor and all-steel inner workings. Should be more reliable and MUCH stronger than the old actuator. But will it be stronger than the XL actuator? Let's see. 

My question to you: can you think of more measurements to do on this setup? Because I have the setup now built and ready, any comparison will be best if it's measured with this exact setup. I'm open to suggestions!

Edited by 896gerard

- Small LA

- V1 pneumatic actuators small + medium

- V2 pneumatic actuators small + medium + large

(Or maybe someone already did the pneumatics comparison, could very well be as they are around for years now...)

If you are using a motor pump for the pneumatics it would be interesting to see what difference pump speed/RPMs make, as well as what difference the number of pumps make. Pressure and flow are not the same, but as pressure is a resistance to flow, by increasing flow to a certain point of resistance pressure goes up. In the case of RPMs it could be that at higher RPMs it's harder for the pump to suck in air on the pull stroke, decreasing air flow and pressure. Or it could be that at higher RPMs you get more power from trying to push air past the seals at a higher rate. In my experience the latter is true, you get more power from higher RPMs but I haven't tested this scientifically. I prefer increasing air flow rates (and thereby increasing pressure) by using more pumps to minimise wear on the pump. 

24 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

- Small LA

- V1 pneumatic actuators small + medium

- V2 pneumatic actuators small + medium + large

(Or maybe someone already did the pneumatics comparison, could very well be as they are around for years now...)

Very good suggestions! The goal of my current measurement is to measure mechanical linear actuators and use one large pneumatic cilinder to take a reference from another world. But as I see suggestions to rather measure pneumatic actuators, I might make a separate video for them. 

13 minutes ago, allanp said:

it would be interesting to see what difference pump speed/RPMs make, as well as what difference the number of pumps make.

Hmm I never thought of that difference. But I guess this setup will work. 

Definitely interested to see the results on this. Debating if I wanna change some of my cranes over to the XL actuators for more boom angle and better lifting if they preform better

Do we think there'll be a difference in power of the 2 linear actuators? I'd expect them to be exactly the same.. same internals just with a longer stroke...

I remember myself be so happy when I got my first linear actuators back in 2011!

And now I don't have the new ones yet! (((((((((

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

Pneumatics (at least some) @Sariel

Thanks a lot. This is exactly why I asked this on Eurobricks before I started. I think Sariels pneumatic measurement is setup correctly, with the cilinder pointing straight down. This saves me a lot of filming and editing.. However, it might be interesting to measure again and find out whether I get the same values with my relatively unused pneumatic parts, here in Holland :classic:

For LA's, you may try to motorize them not only with a M motor but also with an XL motor.

The difference may be limited though, due to internal clutch of LAs.

12 hours ago, 896gerard said:

1. The 'old' linear actuator sold before the 8043 fiasco. 

I want around at the time: what was the 8043 fiasco?

Does anyone know how the current linear actuators are coded? I learnt that 36x0 was week 36, 2010. But now, it's 2020. A crispy new actuator can come from 2019, week 20 so be called '20x9' while it is still a new actuator. Can someone who has a Technic set with recent actuators check the coding? That would be great help! 

Finally, after quite some hours of work, my video review :blush:

I tried to learn some about sharp macro pics as well. The cilinders tested are listed below

all_cilinders_1024.jpg

opstelling_1024.jpg

Here it is, the all-important result sheet: 

results_sheet_1024.jpg

I put my conclusions in the video. There's a lot to think about when this table is considered. Driveshaft torque seems to be very important for the max. load before the internal clutch starts slipping. It might be also a good time to find out whether you have <2010 or >2010 actuators and where you used them in your MOCs.. 

3 hours ago, ben20 said:

Hmm strange, Searne his test show the opposite. Xl is weaker (clutch slips sooner) 

I tested it with three motors and I tested it in the same direction as the cilinder movement. The fact that I find a higher strength in three cases and tested the force in the direction that the cilinder can exert most of its force gives me confidence that the XL actuator is really stronger than the L actuator. Sariels setup was different.. My XL actuators were also new, as I just ordered them on Bricklink. There's lots of factors that cause differences and if you measure in a different way, you can not always compare the results. In my day job I also have to do research and we always give a lot of attention to our measurement setup. That's why I spend so much time on the measurement setup in the video. In some measurements, setup is everything. 

But I invite everyone to do this measurement for him/herself and verifiy. 

Edited by 896gerard

On 2/4/2020 at 10:38 AM, konryd said:

what was the 8043 fiasco?

I want to know that as well! Please explain. I have 8043, but i cant remember having any issues with the linear actuators in the 2 weeks I had it in one piece :laugh_hard:

After that I barely used them tho, idk...

1 minute ago, Gray Gear said:

I want to know that as well! Please explain. I have 8043, but i cant remember having any issues with the linear actuators in the 2 weeks I had it in one piece :laugh_hard:

After that I barely used them tho, idk...

First release of 8043 had an issue with LAs. TLG had to replace all them sending 4 new LAs to people who bought the 8043 before they discovered the issue.

LAs produced before 8043 (and included in the first batch of 8043) were different internally. They tested that the internal gears tended to "consume" when used intensively in a RC model. The LAs produced later (and currently) works better. The difference between the 2 LAs is slightly noticeable, the old one is more "rigid".

On 4/26/2020 at 11:48 PM, redneckfgf60 said:

Ok, how do I get that 3d printed  Linear Actuator, Can I print it myself ???

It is very hard to do the printing yourself. A normal 'home' 3D printer is not accurate enough. This cilinder is made using SLS (selective laser sintering) printing techniques. This makes it very expensive. Cilinders start at €50 a piece, which is due to low numbers. When you make 10, the price will halve, but not much lower than that. After all, a cilinder with full metal inner workings is very strong but also.. expensive. 

Who makes them ?? and yes very well versed in SLS, looked at one of the 1st ones in 2001. We were looking at one to buy for the company. Will they sell the tube through shapeways? who has it, whop do I speak with ?

On 5/2/2020 at 6:42 PM, 896gerard said:

When you make 10, the price will halve, but not much lower than that.

Can we get 10 printed in the Netherlands, anybody else interested? I would buy 2 if combined price is between 60 to 75 euros. The GMK6400 looks greater with @efferman’s actuator, can’t wait to build that one again :)

11 hours ago, redneckfgf60 said:

Who makes them

8 hours ago, emielroumen said:

Can we get 10 printed in the Netherlands,

Ehm they are currently handcrafted by me in my spare time. My brother does some of the metal work. It's a very small workshop I have with low production numbers. Do you think there is a real market for these guys? These are not Lego parts!

These customs ones are not official Lego, but compatible and not produced by clone brands. Could we do a poll to capture interest, perhaps also including the large 3D printed version Efferman has created?