teflon

Space Shuttle Launch Complex 1:110 scale

After finishing my Apollo era Launch Pad  and umbilical tower, I've decided to try the Space Shuttle Launch Complex as well.

800x521.jpg

800x706.jpg

First problem was choosing the right Space Shuttle. I have ancient 7470 but it went through hell and it looks a bit on yellowish side and also lacks reservoir and boosters. On the other side, Lego Expedition 10231 was a bit smaller than 1:110. Therefore I used calculations of @KingsKnight (Thanks!) and his Lego Ideas attribution and somewhat enlarged the 10231. The scaling is a bit of a drag. The diameter of reservoir should be exactly 9 studs but no to compromise the shape, I've stayed with 8.

resize:800:450

I've just prolonged the boosters and reservoir since the Shuttle seems okay.

800x787.jpg

After starting building the tower, I've realized that there are a lot of variants. Over the span of 30 years, the tower was upgraded and changed. Nasa started with a tower that had Apollo type crane at the top. They have also moved a lot of panels so it's extremely difficult to get a nice sets of pictures. So' I've took a mid ground and make some middle of the road variant. I hope you'll like it.

This shows the Complex from a side and Space Shuttle ready to launch.

800x800.jpg

Top view shows all the portals. The White room that attaches to Space Shuttle cabin is in the middle, just behind right booster.

800x800.jpg

Space Shuttle while preparing:

800x533.jpg

A view from further away.

600x900.jpg

As much as I am excited about the model (space nerd form childhood), I must confess the model is a bit boring. Of course I can move the side structure. And arms (white room, top of the reservoir, booster etc) can be moved but nothing else. Therefore I've tried to add some details to the platform. Some additional pictures:

600x900.jpg

600x900.jpg

600x900.jpg

600x900.jpg

The comparison of Space Shuttle Launch Complex with Apollo' umbilical tower. Gee, Saturn is B-I-G. But there is also difference - the Space Shuttle' Tower sits on the floor, while Apollo' starts at the top of the platform. The idea is to make mobile transporter mobile and capable of pulling rockets across the floor.

800x1018.jpg

My son says that we have a place for one more Launch Complex. Should it be Vostok/Soyuz, SpaceX or Orion?

/OMG, just come across @Kaero list of Lego plans of All-the-rockets: see here. Gee, this is quite a Lego Space Pr0n. Thanks man!/

More pictures will be shown here.

Edited by teflon

WOW! very impressive.

Interestingly, Markus Kossman said in this interview he wishes that he could do a new Technic space shuttle:

I like Markus' work. But his models are becoming huge and therefore expensive. I am afraid new Technic Space Shuttle would be another beast, larger than 8480.

Great job, I like you have always been a space nerd too. I remember having a Saturn V rocket and launch tower toy back it 69' it was about 3 feet tall and was always one of my favorite toys, when I was 7 years old anyway. 

I really appreciate what you have done here, always like girder works for some reason. One of these days I hope to build one for my Saturn V but until then I might just take a shot at a much smaller version shuttle tower. 

Thanks for the inspiration and ideas, look forward to seeing your next project.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, teflon said:

My son says that we have a place for one more Launch Complex. Should it be Vostok/Soyuz, SpaceX or Orion?

/OMG, just come across @Kaero list of Lego plans of All-the-rockets: see here. Gee, this is quite a Lego Space Pr0n. Thanks man!/

More pictures will be shown here.

Thanks!

I am watching you ;) I am going to add you to the bottom of my web, but if you upload digital file or instructions somewhere, you will make it into the table itself!

Thanks. However I am afraid that I will not produce instructions since I am not capable of. I am therefore waiting for a software solution with some sort of AI. From a bunch of pictures the software could build a model based on available parts data. Very like our eyes and brains manage to do it.

Incredible work, I'm very impressed. How much time did you spend on planning, ordering and building? Did you plan out all the parts at the beginning or did it evolve over time?

Thanks for adding the link to all-the-rockets, I hadn't seen it before and found it quite fascinating. For now I'll need to be content building the new Lego Ideas ISS.

Thank you.

This time the planing phase was less strict since experiences from Apollo' tower. I've just got as much blueprints and details pictures as possible and try to decide what parts to recreate. The launch platform has a lot of details and to do all is almost impossible, at least for me. I have not made a plan but I "sculpture" it from the bricks I already had. Some details could be better but I was trying to finish it before my valet does :wink:

ISS is on the buying list. But I would also like it in scale 1:110. However I just found Extended ISS by Locutus 666 at Kaero' page. Gee, that is magnificent!

And yes, Kaero' page was a revelation to me also. I am grateful to him for the effort.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:17 PM, teflon said:

Thank you.

This time the planing phase was less strict since experiences from Apollo' tower. I've just got as much blueprints and details pictures as possible and try to decide what parts to recreate. The launch platform has a lot of details and to do all is almost impossible, at least for me. I have not made a plan but I "sculpture" it from the bricks I already had. Some details could be better but I was trying to finish it before my valet does :wink:

ISS is on the buying list. But I would also like it in scale 1:110. However I just found Extended ISS by Locutus 666 at Kaero' page. Gee, that is magnificent!

And yes, Kaero' page was a revelation to me also. I am grateful to him for the effort.

Hi Teflon! 

I'm working on an ISS at 1:110

Attached is my v1. 

by midyear should have v2 sorted. :)

updated_iss.jpg

Edited by phreaddee
attachment