Capt Wolf

The Battle for El Oleonda - Era II, Challenge III - RESULTS POSTED

50438230042_727daab39c_z.jpg

The history of the colonisation of Terra Nova has so far been dominated by nations of the Madrice Peninsular who sail southeast from their homelands into the resource rich archipelagos of the new world. As the Mardician nations push ever eastward into the New Haven Sea, however; it has become clear that they are not the only the only nations to be exploring and colonising the new world.

The nation of Carno was a latecomer to colonisation and Carnite planners felt they missed the prime locations in both the Sea of Thieves and Prio Sea. Thus Carno has pioneered Mardician exploration of the New Haven Sea area. From the first Carnite settlement of Neustadt on the island known to colonial planners as number eleven, Carnite presence has expanded onto the large island known as El Oleonda on which it is rumoured huge riches can be found. It wasn't long before Carnite pioneers realised they weren't the only ones with their eyes on El Oleondas wealth. Skirmishes broke out in the jungles between Carnite settlers and a strange people who appeared to be southern Halosian in appearance. Large ocean-going junks began to raid Carnite shipping and settlements. It was soon revealed these newcomers were from the Kingdom of the Lotus. Not much is known about the large southern Halosian empire and it is thought that Lotii explorers discovered the New Haven sea area by travelling northeast of their homelands.

Soon El Oleonda and its surrounds were in a state of all out war. Even the nearby Corlander settlement of Spudkirk was raided by the Lotii! The hard pressed Carnites have called for their Madrician neighbours to assist them in their struggle driving the southerners out of the New Haven Sea. Will you answer their call?

Political Map of the New Haven Sea:

48595911256_9f09c421c5_c.jpg

It is rumoured that Carno has at least two settlements on the western side of El Oleonda and the Lotii have at least three; one quite large, on the Eastern side of the island.

This challenge consists of 5 categories:

A. The Kingdom of the Lotus
B. The Mysteries of El Oleonda
C. First Encounter with the Tyree’De
D. Action on the High Seas
E. Mercenaries Needed

Note that category D has an optional t-MRCA component, resulting in twice as many prizes. See below for category descriptions and deadlines.

All entries must be linked in this thread. Clearly identify what category an entry is for.

Scoring Criteria: Judges will score each entry on the following criteria:
Build (score out of 10) - emphasis on quality. Doesn't necessary have to be complex, but higher scoring builds will show obvious effort.
Story (score out of 5) - does the build fit the challenge story requirements? High scoring builds will have a well written and interesting story.
Presentation (score out of 5) - Considerations include: photography, colour palette, base/borders

Individual prizes awarded for each category as follows:

- 1st Place individual: x1 free large property license (micro build required for activation, usable only in New Haven Sea) OR x1 free Class 5 ship license (micro build required for activation)

- 2nd Place individual: x1 free medium property license (micro build required for activation, usable only in New Haven Sea) OR x1 free Class 4 ship license (micro build required for activation)

- 3rd Place individual: x1 free small property license (micro build required for activation, usable only in New Haven Sea) OR x1 free Class 3 ship license (micro build required for activation)

Faction prizes will be based on a calculation that includes participation and quality of builds from each category and individual category wins:

- 1st Place faction: First choice of a New Haven Sea island for a settlement. (at the end of the challenge, a choice of islands will be set by the court). The settlement will start with the following properties: x3 small residences, x3 small artisans, x3 small commerce and x3 small factories (microbuilds needed to activate each).

- 2nd Place faction: Second choice of a New Haven Sea island for a settlement. The settlement will start with the following properties: x2 small residences, x2 small artisans, x2 small commerce and x2 small factories (microbuilds needed to activate each).

- 3rd Place faction: Third choice of a New Haven Sea island for a settlement. The settlement will start with the following properties: x1 small residence, x1 small artisan, x1 small commerce and x1 small factory (microbuilds needed to activate each).

4th Place faction: Fourth choice of a New Haven Sea island for a settlement. The settlement will start with 1 small property (microbuild needed to activate).

FINAL RESULTS HERE

Category A: The Kingdom of the Lotus

Not much is known in Northern Halos of the Kingdom of the Lotus, but they are one of the major empires of Southern Halos. By land, one must pass through the Mokolei Empire and the Forbidden Kingdoms. By sea, not only does the great expanse of the Drolitic Ocean separate the nations of Northern Halos from the southern part of the continent, but one must travel around the horn to the great Southern Ocean before encountering their kingdom. So what is the Kingdom of the Lotus like?

Builders should show a scene depicting some aspect of Lotii culture (architecture, dress, customs, social interaction, etc.). Builds should be located within the Kingdom of the Lotus and may be based on rumours your characters in the Brick Seas have heard. The Kingdom of the Lotus is roughly based on real-word East Asian cultures and previous depictions have taken inspiration from both China and Japan. 

Size: 32 x 32 max

Due Date: Sunday 22nd March 2020

Cat A Results

Category B: The Mysteries of El Oleonda

The New Haven Sea has not revealed many of her secrets yet. With four large islands and 17 smaller ones, there is much to explore. But what have Carno and Lotus found on El Oleonda that is worth fighting for? The fountain of youth? Gold or other mineral wealth? Gardens resplendent with fruit and other foodstuffs? Perhaps knowledge left behind by a lost civilization? Myths of a once great native civilization ruling over multiple islands are common amongst natives in the Brick Seas, and indeed ruins have been found in many locations hinting at some truth to these legends. Or is El Oleonda’s value in something else entirely?

Builders should show a feature of the island worth fighting for by the combatants.

Size: 32x32 max

Due Date: Sunday 12th April Tuesday 14th April Friday 17 April 2020

Index of Cat B Builds

Category C: First Encounter with the Tyree’De

Ever since the Halosian nations began to explore the seas, they have encountered many indigenous peoples, and similar encounters have occurred in the New Haven Sea. Reports from both Carno and The Kingdom of the Lotus describe visitors in large canoes and even ships of curious design arriving at El Oleonda to trade with the Carnovians and the Lotii. These native traders are not Halosian of origin and, although they share similarities with some of the native peoples known so far, their culture appears very different. They trade in many exotic goods and wares, seemingly flush with silver and unwilling to part with their wares for mere trinkets. Instead, they are showing interest in manufactured goods, including milling equipment, metalworking and production tooling, and weapons. While they seem keen to learn Halosian ways and customs, they are much more circumspect when speaking about themselves. They refer to themselves as the Tyree’De and, when pushed about where they come from, they reply with vague answers “to the south.”

Builders should show their faction’s peaceful first encounter with the Tyree’De, either in the form of Tyree’De people visiting a settlement on El Oleonda or another island in the New Haven Sea, or as an encounter with a Tyree’De vessel on the water in the New Haven Sea.

Size: 24x24 max

Due Date: Sunday 26th April 2020

Index of Cat C Builds

Category D: Action on the High Seas

With open warfare between Carno and the Kingdom of the Lotus, there is plenty of opportunity for normally law-abiding sailors to turn to privateering as a means of legal piracy to earn a handsome payday. Carno is practically giving away Letters of Marque to anyone who will help them combat the Kingdom of the Lotus in the New Haven Sea and protect their supply lines. Rumor has it the Lotii are also willing, if you can make contact with them, to authorize privateers to harass Carno shipping.

Builders should show some aspect of a naval encounter in the New Haven Sea. There are two different types of entries for this category: Cat D(1) MOC only, and Cat D(2) t-MRCA result builds.

'MOC Only' entries should depict a naval encounter between Carnite and Lotii forces or their allies.

'tMRCA' entries. A tMRCA will be run in which players may accept a letter of Marque from Carno to hunt Lotii vessels. So that players may get their ships into the action quickly, ships will be allowed to be moved from their most recent destination to a new starting point in the New Haven Sea for free. Players wishing to enter in the category should submit a PM to the MRCA officials declaring their intention of entering this category and nominating their starting point. A tMRCA (potentially two) will then be run and players should MOC their tMRCA results as their entry. 

Rewards will be handed out for both types of entries and players may enter both sub-categories

Size: unlimited (mirco builds also allowed)

Due Date: Sunday 31st May 2020 28 June 2020

Note: Individual 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes awarded in both the “MOC only” and “t-MRCA result” classes.

Category E: Mercenaries Needed

Carno isn't just calling for help on the high seas; they also need troops on the ground on El Oleonda. Thus Carno is hiring Madrician mercenary units to help them on El Oleonda. The battlegrounds on El Oleonda cover a vast array of environments from thick verdant jungle to rolling plains and mountain highlands.

Builders should depict a land battle/skirmish on the island or El Oleonda between Carno and/or their mercenary units and Lotii forces.

Due Date: Sunday 31st May 2020

Size: 32x32 max

Challenge time! Can't wait to see what people come up with here!

If anyone is interested in a collab for one or more categories, I am up for it :)

This sounds super exciting, my favorite being the t-mcra integration. Already got a few ideas floating around in my head... but size restrictions... hmm...

Thanks a lot to all of you for setting this up :purrr:

Now, how to contact the Lotii for one of their letters of marque... or is it lettels of malque? :grin:

Some very fun categories!  Hopefully I can find time to enter.

Looks like this will be a ton of fun!  I'e got ideas for a couple categories already.  What culture if any are the Tyree'De based on, at least as far as ship design?

Looks good to me, some interesting challenges. :thumbup:

Due to real life restrictions I will most likely not be able to participate in category A. I'll see how things work out for the other ones.

6 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Might I suggest pinning this topic in the Bob's forum?

Unfortunately Court members can't pin/un-pin topics, it has to be a Eurobricks Staff member. We'll see who's around

3 hours ago, The Sarge said:

Looks like this will be a ton of fun!  I'e got ideas for a couple categories already.  What culture if any are the Tyree'De based on, at least as far as ship design?

I hope to get the Carno write up released later today and will work on the Lotii when I get a chance. In the meantime, the Lotii are based on an East Asian culture. Both Japan and China have been used as inspiration in past builds. As for ship building:

Not much is known about Lotii sea power. The Lotii ship design differs from Madrican design chiefly in the sailing rig. Lotii vessels use a sailing rig known as a junk rig, which gives these vessels their name; junks.  It is thought the back-bone of their naval fleet in the New World are larger ocean going vessels of this type known as war junks. War junks are generally reported to be slightly smaller than a standard Madrician galleon; although some exceptions have been noted. A variety of different armament has been reported with different calibres and types of cannon employed. The limited reports we have indicate their ships usually sail in company of at least another 3-4 vessels. Sailors have also been reported to carry a type of muskets although crossbows are still heavily employed by Lotii forces.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Sorry I totally miss-read that question!

The Tyree'De are a native culture with no direct real-world equivalent, so a fair about of poetic license is available here. Most native cultures depicted in the east islands so far have a Meso-American feel/base. Personally I'd either look at pre-Colombian American cultures and look for examples of sea-going vessels, or failing that use Polynesian designs.

I really like the different categories within this challenge and how each is broad enough for interesting builds. 

Edited by merc
Question just answered

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

Edit: Sorry I totally miss-read that question!

The Tyree'De are a native culture with no direct real-world equivalent, so a fair about of poetic license is available here. Most native cultures depicted in the east islands so far have a Meso-American feel/base. Personally I'd either look at pre-Colombian American cultures and look for examples of sea-going vessels, or failing that use Polynesian designs.

Thanks!  That is useful.  Not a lot of sea going vessels in Ameri-indian culture but I think I can blend the decorative motifs and style with Polynesian ship layout and rigging to get something suitable.  Maybe a couple small cast bronze cannons.

36 minutes ago, The Sarge said:

Thanks!  That is useful.  Not a lot of sea going vessels in Ameri-indian culture but I think I can blend the decorative motifs and style with Polynesian ship layout and rigging to get something suitable.  Maybe a couple small cast bronze cannons.

:thumbup: Exactly the kind of concept we were imagining!

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

Cat D and E have same dead line ?

Yes. We originally had Cat D a couple of weeks earlier, but pushed it back due to the uncertainty of the MRCA schedule.

6 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

What is the terrain of El Oleonda like? Dense Jungle, thick forest, open plains?

It's a very large island, so you'll find areas of many different types.

4 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

It's a very large island, so you'll find areas of many different types.

Works for me! 

Also, do the catagories need to be ported in order (A,B,C,D,E) or can they be posted out of order (D,A,C,B,E)? 

2 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Works for me! 

Also, do the catagories need to be ported in order (A,B,C,D,E) or can they be posted out of order (D,A,C,B,E)?  

All you need is meet the individual deadlines :)

Ooh, definitely a big challenge, but I'm really liking these categories and will have to try to make time to enter at least some of them if at all possible!  And I'd love some of those micro-ship licences!  (I will build me another full-size ship one of these days though... or maybe a fleet of them... :pir-devil: :pir-grin:)

And while we do have a lot of islands already claimed, am I the only one who's glad to see the new island faction prizes coming back here? :excited:

On 2/1/2020 at 6:22 PM, Ayrlego said:
On 2/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Might I suggest pinning this topic in the BoB's forum?

Unfortunately Court members can't pin/un-pin topics, it has to be a Eurobricks Staff member. We'll see who's around

Done (you sure Court members can't pin threads?  Not that I didn't retire from Court about three years ago either - go figure!  Just those mad skillz seeping through, I guess... :grin: :laugh:)

3 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Done (you sure Court members can't pin threads?

Pretty sure we can't, how'd you do it? As in, is there a button I'm not seeing...

While you're here can you please unpin challenge 2? thanks!

Pretty sure we can't, how'd you do it? As in, is there a button I'm not seeing...

If it's there it'll be in a section for Moderation Actions, including pinning/unpinning, next to the "Start new topic" at the top of the page.  There's also the same thing at the bottom right under the Submit Reply button.  Mine may possibly have to do with my position in GoH, though - I can't entirely remember if I had it before my promotion there, but I think it was when I was in leadership here...  If it's not there for you just mention that you want something pinned/unpinned and I'll probably see it pretty quick though! :pir-wink:

While you're here can you please unpin challenge 2? thanks!

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

And the soccer tournament, too!

Sure thing! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Garmadon said:

Mine may possibly have to do with my position in GoH, though

Must be, I definately don't have the option! Thanks for fixing it up for us today.

Just to clear up - are we allowed to take Lutus' side in this conflict?

If so, to join the mcra on their side one would need a letter of marque from their side, which requires contacting them... would a build or two be sufficient to establish said contact, or do you have something else in mind? And would the same effort be required to receive a Carno LoM?

Or is this entire challenge for overall story reasons set up as an all against Lotus scenario?

Thanks in advance :)