Capt Wolf

The Battle for El Oleonda - Era II, Challenge III - RESULTS POSTED

25 minutes ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Just to clear up - are we allowed to take Lutus' side in this conflict?

If so, to join the mcra on their side one would need a letter of marque from their side, which requires contacting them... would a build or two be sufficient to establish said contact, or do you have something else in mind? And would the same effort be required to receive a Carno LoM?

Or is this entire challenge for overall story reasons set up as an all against Lotus scenario?

Thanks in advance :)

Technically there is nothing stopping you taking the Lotii side. Category D ‘MOC only’ and category E are both open for you to take either side. In the tMRCA; however, the odds would be stacked quite heavily against you - which is why we worded the category D tMRCA section the way we did. I guess you could enter the tMRCA as a privateer for the Lotii, just be aware it may not go so well....

No effort is required for a Carno LoM, so I think it’s only fair that a Lotii one could be obtained without any special requirements, although I’d love to see a story and builds about how you manage to obtain one!!

5 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Just to clear up - are we allowed to take Lutus' side in this conflict?

If so, to join the mcra on their side one would need a letter of marque from their side, which requires contacting them... would a build or two be sufficient to establish said contact, or do you have something else in mind? And would the same effort be required to receive a Carno LoM?

Or is this entire challenge for overall story reasons set up as an all against Lotus scenario?

Thanks in advance :)

Ayrlego answered this question well, but I wanted to emphasize his final point. Even though it is not required, there is nothing stopping you from posting a small build and story -- separate from the challenge entry -- that depicts your acquisition of the Letter of Marque. I sincerely hope we see some bonus builds of this nature, as it would surely enhance the world of BoBS.

And an additional note: To make the tMRCA work, ships sailing under the LoM of a given nation will be considered a ship of that nation. (and hence a target of all its enemies) Thus, for tMRCA purposes, please remind us to have these nationalities updated. (both before and after the challenge... (if you do not want to keep your LoM... :wink: ))

Mainly for Corrington Leadership I guess, but would it be right to assume that there could be ground combat between Corrington and Loti troops as well on El Oleonda?

Edited by LM71Blackbird

10 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Mainly for Corrington Leadership I guess, but would it be right to assume that there could be ground combat between Corrington and Loti troops as well on El Oleonda?

Yes certainly, but it's probably something we'd want to discuss in the PM just so we are all on the same page.

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

Yes certainly, but it's probably something we'd want to discuss in the PM just so we are all on the same page.

Gotcha. Fair enough.

Alrighty, I've got a few questions!

• I assume that if I'm building a new ship for the tMRCA part of Category D, that could also be used in a naval scene for the MOC only category, correct?  Or, stated the other way around (which makes more sense now that I think of it :grin:), after I've built a ship or two for the MOC only category, I am completely allowed to licence one or both and enter them into the tMRCA category (as long as it makes sense, of course)?  In other words, any licenced ship is eligible for the tMRCA, whether new or previously built, no?  And part of the reason I ask is because I can build ships now and certainly want to send 'em out in the MRCA(s), but won't be with most of my bricks in May and have no idea if I'll be able to do an adequate MRCA result build with what I'll have :pir-bawling:
  • Would it be possible to get Letters of Marque from both nations for the same ship - without either side IC knowing it has one from the other side?  Ikr, such a random question.  Asking for a friend, of course :innocent:  Captain Nordau's certainly not planning on a little explotition or anything...
  • What's the usual waterline base length for a Class 10?  About 120 studs and two-three gun decks?

2 hours ago, Garmadon said:

I assume that if I'm building a new ship for the tMRCA part of Category D, that could also be used in a naval scene for the MOC only category, correct?  Or, stated the other way around (which makes more sense now that I think of it :grin:), after I've built a ship or two for the MOC only category, I am completely allowed to licence one or both and enter them into the tMRCA category (as long as it makes sense, of course)?  In other words, any licenced ship is eligible for the tMRCA, whether new or previously built, no?  And part of the reason I ask is because I can build ships now and certainly want to send 'em out in the MRCA(s), but won't be with most of my bricks in May and have no idea if I'll be able to do an adequate MRCA result build with what I'll have 

You can build all the ships you want, just like you would always do and license them as per the rules. That aside, you can join in this category with two (2) entries. One moc only, meaning you make some sort of moc(s) of (a) sea battle(s) after your own designs pertinent to the challenge; and one tMRCA result build, where you submit orders for a ship targeting either Lotus or Carno (depending on your flag, choice, etc.) including pm to the game masters and then moc the results. Only the second one requires you to have licensed the ship beforehand. Clear? :pir-blush:

Would it be possible to get Letters of Marque from both nations for the same ship - without either side IC knowing it has one from the other side?  Ikr, such a random question.  Asking for a friend, of course :innocent:  Captain Nordau's certainly not planning on a little explotition or anything...

Nope. Since by running a LoM you will be flying the flag of the issuing nation, and cannot run both flags, that cannot be done. But... if you can make the story pertinent to the conflict, you could potentially run under a third flag (national or black) and target one/both/all ships in the New Haven Seas. (A black flagger will not need an LoM to target anyone, considering it will be considered a pirate by all nations regardless.)

What's the usual waterline base length for a Class 10?  About 120 studs and two-three gun decks?

Usual may be a bit much, considering we haven't seen many examples. The about ships rules states the following:

Class 8: 6+ mid sections minimum and several decks

Class 9: 7+, several decks, Probably upper limit for prefab hull-pieces

Class 10: N/A

So your class 10 would have to be longer/wider/otherwise larger than 7 midsections plus bow/stern pieces, and most likely consist of several decks (depending on whether you go down a traditional age of sail SOTL concept, or perhaps an alternative such as a chinese treasure ship that may instead be wider)

I hope that helps - otherwise, please ask :pir-classic:

10 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Clear?

:thumbup:  Yep!

10 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Nope. Since by running a LoM you will be flying the flag of the issuing nation, and cannot run both flags, that cannot be done. But... if you can make the story pertinent to the conflict, you could potentially run under a third flag (national or black) and target one/both/all ships in the New Haven Seas. (A black flagger will not need an LoM to target anyone, considering it will be considered a pirate by all nations regardless.)

Mmm, yeah, I get that.  I was just wondering if it wouldn't be possible to sail under the Carno flag while attacking Lotus ships and then switch to the Lotus flag when attacking Carno's ships :grin:  But that's alright.  I assume one needs a Letter of Marque from one side or the other to constitute the MRCA results build an entry to the tMRCA challenge though, correct?

14 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Usual may be a bit much, considering we haven't seen many examples. The about ships rules states the following:

<snip>

So your class 10 would have to be longer/wider/otherwise larger than 7 midsections plus bow/stern pieces, and most likely consist of several decks (depending on whether you go down a traditional age of sail SOTL concept, or perhaps an alternative such as a chinese treasure ship that may instead be wider)

I hope that helps - otherwise, please ask :pir-classic:

Yes, the problem is I don't have/use midsections since I brick-build the hulls on my ships (and since I don't have any of the prefab parts :laugh:), so I was wondering what that was in terms of studs.  The standard midsection seems to be 8 studs wide though and the ends about twice that, so that gives me larger than 88 studs as the requirement.  Does that sound about right?  I'll prob be shooting for somewhere more around 120 though anyways, as that's the precedent size with the Royal Philip and LMBlackbird's Class 10s :thumbup:

14 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

I was just wondering if it wouldn't be possible to sail under the Carno flag while attacking Lotus ships and then switch to the Lotus flag when attacking Carno's ships 

As one possibility, I guess you could sail under one flag in one MRCA and then the other flag in the next MRCA, but you'd still get only one entry in the Cat D-MRCA challenge category.

16 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

The standard midsection seems to be 8 studs wide though and the ends about twice that, so that gives me larger than 88 studs as the requirement.  Does that sound about right?

That sounds about right, but note that if building for the Cat D-MOC entry, you wouldn't have to build a whole ship. There are plenty of examples of MOCs depicting sea battles that don't show entire ships. Also, note that micro builds are allowed in Cat D.

1 hour ago, Garmadon said:

Mmm, yeah, I get that.  I was just wondering if it wouldn't be possible to sail under the Carno flag while attacking Lotus ships and then switch to the Lotus flag when attacking Carno's ships :grin: 

Being the one running the numbers for the tMRCA I can tell you one thing: This would be absolutely impossible to handle :pir-tongue:

Hence.... NO! :pir_laugh2:

(Capt. Wolf's suggestion could fly, though, although how you will build that into your storyline would be interesting to see!

But for the non-tMRCA category, you can play in any sort of combination you'd like :pir-wink:

1 hour ago, Garmadon said:

I assume one needs a Letter of Marque from one side or the other to constitute the MRCA results build an entry to the tMRCA challenge though, correct? 

Well.... The rules state the following:

Builders should show some aspect of a naval encounter in the New Haven Sea. There are two different types of entries for this category: Cat D(1) MOC only, and Cat D(2) t-MRCA result builds.

'MOC Only' entries should depict a naval encounter between Carnite and Lotii forces or their allies.

"or their allies" could be interpreted fairly liberally, allowing for some interesting stories. The LoMs is the only way to have a neutral ship legally partake in hostilities, hence why they are available. (COR is already at war with Lotus, so we have a legitimate reason for hostilities)

2 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Please don't sink your own ship. At least show us pictures first. :pir_tong2:

:pir-grin:

2 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

As one possibility, I guess you could sail under one flag in one MRCA and then the other flag in the next MRCA, but you'd still get only one entry in the Cat D-MRCA challenge category.

That sounds about right, but note that if building for the Cat D-MOC entry, you wouldn't have to build a whole ship. There are plenty of examples of MOCs depicting sea battles that don't show entire ships. Also, note that micro builds are allowed in Cat D.

Yeah, thanks!  Captain Nordau's been demanding asking for a new ship for a couple of months now though, so... :pir_laugh2:

And for the record, I'm not promising a Class 10 just yet!  I'm just gonna see what I can do in a couple of weeks :pir-grin:

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Being the one running the numbers for the tMRCA I can tell you one thing: This would be absolutely impossible to handle :pir-tongue:

Hence.... NO! :pir_laugh2:

(Capt. Wolf's suggestion could fly, though, although how you will build that into your storyline would be interesting to see!

:laugh: :grin:  Yeah, I was more asking about the IC story part of it - Captain Nordau's not too concerned about the legality aspect :tongue:  But he would having fun getting and producing the LoMs if he got asked why he was attacking any particular ship... and I dare say there's got to be some historical precedent to it somewhere, haha

Spoiler

For the forms I'd have to just check the boxes for attacking both sides, of course - but then supposing I only ended up actually attacking one side, I could produce the LoM - that was the idea.  But Captain Nordau's already a Black Flag so it doesn't make much difference - he thought it would be a fun thing to do and a good way to get into the action, though :pir-grin:

On 2/15/2020 at 3:07 AM, Garmadon said:

For the forms I'd have to just check the boxes for attacking both sides, of course - but then supposing I only ended up actually attacking one side, I could produce the LoM - that was the idea.  But Captain Nordau's already a Black Flag so it doesn't make much difference - he thought it would be a fun thing to do and a good way to get into the action, though 

The issue is handling who can attack you. ;)

Entry for Category D4:  The Bounty

J5zrs4y.jpg

Edited by Kwatchi

Oooohhh I'm still in time for this Challenge! 
I've some reading up to do to understand what is going on. 

(question) for the mercenaries moc, can I use existing soldiers? but in a new moc build?  I got some idling you know...  who after an  not so favourable excercise in Quinnsville  a year ago need a moral boost. 

Bart

Edited by Bart

3 hours ago, Bart said:

for the mercenaries moc, can I use existing soldiers? but in a new moc build?

Yes, certainly!

A question, can I submit more than one entry for cat.A, because I want to give a sequel to captain Surlecoup's story.

14 hours ago, Bodi said:

A question, can I submit more than one entry for cat.A, because I want to give a sequel to captain Surlecoup's story.

Unless any of my colleagues violently disagree, I don't see any issues with multiple entries, but only your best entry (as scored by the judges) will be counted towards the faction total.