On 4/7/2020 at 3:53 AM, sirslayer said:

A month or two???    Maybe Mankind will be extinct in a month!!!   at least when you find my skeleton , ill have the new diff in my hands.. 

@sirslayer: Ha, ha, :laugh: that was a good one. LOL!

On 4/6/2020 at 11:17 AM, LvdH said:

800x576.jpg

YEY finally they are using the minifig mic  in light bluish gray, possibly with a ball socket like I have always wanted to see!. there is a fairly new ball with bar but the bar is 1 brick long unlike this.

And of course the new huge frame in a more usable color :)

Edited by SNIPE

Let's make this topic HOT again, just found on YT. :wink:

Edited by agrof

Not sure if i want to spoil the build for me.. Could experience the whole thing the first time once it arrives.. But.. I can't look away.. 

On 4/8/2020 at 1:29 PM, SNIPE said:

YEY finally they are using the minifig mic  in light bluish gray, possibly with a ball socket like I have always wanted to see!. there is a fairly new ball with bar but the bar is 1 brick long unlike this.

And of course the new huge frame in a more usable color :)

I won't be spoiling its purpose in the model. Just say that the "ball" of this mic is slightly smaller than "small ball joint" connection.

Okay, so I’m old.  I worked at Lynch Road assembly in Detroit in 1970 helping build Roadrunners and Super Bees.  Chargers, Cudas  were built at other nearby plants.  The Lego version of the Charger is an abomination.  It’s almost insulting,  Can Lego throw out to the market any half baked design and have people falling over themselves to buy it? Uh, YES!   From someone who raced a 440 6 pack ‘Cuda and a 383 Roadrunner on Telegraph (and occasionally Woodward) in the Detroit area during the peak of muscle car mania, this Lego set is both an insult and a disaster.  The Mustang was right on, this is horrible.

23 minutes ago, Options said:

Okay, so I’m old.  I worked at Lynch Road assembly in Detroit in 1970 helping build Roadrunners and Super Bees.  Chargers, Cudas  were built at other nearby plants.  The Lego version of the Charger is an abomination.  It’s almost insulting,  Can Lego throw out to the market any half baked design and have people falling over themselves to buy it? Uh, YES!   From someone who raced a 440 6 pack ‘Cuda and a 383 Roadrunner on Telegraph (and occasionally Woodward) in the Detroit area during the peak of muscle car mania, this Lego set is both an insult and a disaster.  The Mustang was right on, this is horrible.

It’s a toy, get over it. Technic has inherent limitations and they need to design sets for kids to be able to play with. At least this has proper suspension and a working engine unlike the Mustang.

Edited by Bartybum

Not a bad set, but I'm really not a fan of how the rear suspension is set up.  The geometry is not correct at all, and this setup just puts stress on the parts.  9398 was the same way.  The 6L links are being stressed, and LEGO would've been better off just using a single 6L link as a panhard bar.  

Otherwise, a descent set.  Working suspension, steering, and a fake V8 engine in a set this size is nice.  The blower setup is pretty neat looking, especially with the chain.

1 hour ago, dhc6twinotter said:

The geometry is not correct at all, and this setup just puts stress on the parts.  9398 was the same way.  The 6L links are being stressed, and LEGO would've been better off just using a single 6L link as a panhard bar.

Yeah Lego always seem to follow this weird design choice whenever they use torque tubes. It was the same in 9398, 42005 and 42038. Always stressing those 6L links and relying on mechanical tolerances and material compliance to let the suspension function. The only time they didn't do it was with 8110 when they first introduced them.

In any case, I think it should be easy enough to fix with minimal pieces, and it's definitely the first thing I'm gonna try to do. It's always nice to see solid axle suspension in a Technic set, since it seems so rare nowadays. The last time we got solid axles was in 42069.

Edited by Bartybum

Damn.. My 42111 that i ordered is still in "process".. When will they mail it? The wait is killing me.. How are some people getting their preorder already?

18 hours ago, Options said:

Can you give us some specifics about what you would change? Perhaps one of the greatest aspects of LEGO is the ability to customize and create MOCs. Understanding that the set designer is working under a limited parts budget and constrained by other factors - playability, safety, buildability, etc., the set is what it is. Its up to the AFOL community (us) to make mods to bring the set up to our 'standards'. So, please suggest some changes or go ahead and make a MOC.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:22 PM, agrof said:

Let's make this topic HOT again, just found on YT. :wink:

Thanks! Now the 100%-completed Stud.io file is ready. Let me finish some flexible hoses re-arrangements and I will publish it here. As for the 6-links, they are rally the known TLG way to keep the live axles in place and really even 9398 didn't cause any damage to it (this part is made of softer material and can handle this humiliation). Plus, such a little offset minimizes the parts play keeping the axle nicely secured. Leaf springs would be more authentic but I suppose that all these things could be answered like "it's a racing/drag modification of the car" so it has these unexpected things.

I also loved how the wheels go under the body - it reminds a bit 42050 dragster with oversized rear wheels still placed inside the body but this model fantastically "sits" on them. I really looking forward to take out those NOS tanks and put the "heavy counterweight" brick to the trunk instead to see how it will work: I already have all the parts (not in the same color but who cares :laugh:) and will definitely try to build it.

18 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Damn.. My 42111 that i ordered is still in "process".. When will they mail it? The wait is killing me.. How are some people getting their preorder already?

Nope, just like you, I wait...

On 4/1/2020 at 12:16 AM, Collibosher said:

I have to dare to comment and sorry it's not anything positive, but that "thing" just doesn't look good. The weird choice and use of body panels all over and especially the use of macaroni pieces behind the front fascia is just mind boggling... I mean the late 60's Chargers should have sharp edges around the car, that's of the distinctive car design "rules" of era. I would have gladly taken something more "skeleton" and with more flex rods, than this whatever it is.

That's not all, it has one of worst possible wheel choices. This was the set that I thought would finally introduce new wheels and tires suitable for technic classic cars, so I could finally stop using those 42009 crane tires on everything (them being one of the few narrow enough with high profile tire) Sure, "Dom's Charger" has had many wheels over the years, but if they were going with those huge wide low profile tires, then the whole car should have had low ground clearance etc to match the look. Now it's just a weird combination of muscle car stance and modern wheels of different scale... When I start build MOCs, obviously I always scale the build based on the wheels I'm going to use and I've heard lego designers doing the same, but not this time apparently?

Buuut, it's still a classic car from the Lego Technic line, so I just "have to" buy it. You win Lego... :hmpf_bad:

Also is this even real, it's 2020 and the Technic line still doesn't have a medium scaled steering wheel? I always find the current steering wheels being either too small or too large for the build :cry2:

Honestly looks like a pass.

I wish it were Suki's S2000 or Brian's Supra because it it were those cars I would insta-buy maybe 3 of them? One for the shelf and two for making different bodykit versions (stock and rocketbunny)

1 minute ago, MattL600 said:

Honestly looks like a pass.

I wish it were Suki's S2000 or Brian's Supra because it it were those cars I would insta-buy maybe 3 of them? One for the shelf and two for making different bodykit versions (stock and rocketbunny)

If you are confident in doing different Bodykit versions, why dont you go ahead and MOC it right away? No need to wait for TLG to release the cars you like, and if you do it yourself it might even look good :wink:

@Void_S Thanks for these renders and well done :thumbup:. Looking at the gearing from the wheel to the engine, it really could do with a bigger ratio to get that engine spinning faster, definitely putting the new differential in this one.

Just now, allanp said:

@Void_S Thanks for these renders and well done :thumbup:. Looking at the gearing from the wheel to the engine, it really could do with a bigger ratio to get that engine spinning faster, definitely putting the new differential in this one.

Yeah, and if we get rid of the wheelie stand, it has a plenty space for a gearbox.

Just got back from Walmart here in NY, and there were eight of these on the shelf along with quite a few Speed Champions sets. Packaging looks great in-store.

I spend some time analyzing the parts list and found one more part in a new color: the flexible hose that shapes the edge of the roof and c-pillars is a 75c13 (13-studs long), not 12 as I supposed before. And this part has never being presented in LBG color before this model: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=39417#T=C. Only if I'm not mistaken or if the building instructions parts list has a proper scale for different parts.

Interesting that 12L part has LGB color and 13L has... Flat silver! Very and very weird...

I am not motivated enough to correct everything that I think is wrong with this design.  And, in all honesty, it’s beyond my ability to fix everything that’s wrong. The Lego product just doesn’t look like a Charger to me.  Sure, there are hints of it being a charger.  Enough to make it look like a Charger.  Sort of what  like a Salvador Dali ‘clock’ is to a real clock. I drove several versions over a few years when I worked at Chrysler. The design was beautiful.  Iconic, even.

‘The designer is working under a limited parts budget and constrained by other factors - playability, safety, buildability, etc., the set is what it is.’

Well, if that’s the case, there are probably some designs that aren’t suitable for a Lego build. And, to me, this is one of them.