The Reader

[MOCs] and [MODs] My Adventurers ...

I would like to introduce Patric O'Leary, an Irish friend of Johnny Thunder, whom he met during WW I at the Palestinian front (torso with yellow hands and head; I think the sunglasses are very helpful in the bright sun of the desert).

Patric studies a map of the Holy Land - only he knows what his quest goes for ...

IMG_6773

IMG_6773_f

Edited by The Reader
changed photos

PS: I am aware that this is far away from modern MOCing but I like the classic style from the pre-2000 years as I am a child of the 1980's. I try to catch this old but classic atmosphere.

Edited by The Reader

When Patric arrived at Jerusalem he received an urgent telegram from Johnny asking him to join him and Dr. Lightning in the Egyptian desert to reveal the secret of some ancient maps.

On his way South to Egypt Patric has a strange encounter ... but in his hurry to join Johnny he just passes by.

0006_f_a

Edited by The Reader

After his trip through the desert, Patric finally meets Johnny Thunder and Dr. Lightning in Egypt.

0_0002_small

As you might have recognized, I have modified Johnny's Scorpion Tracker (set 5918) a bit. This is the original out of the box:

0_0003_small

And these are my modifications:

First, I added trans-yellow headlights, swapped the tan 1x2 brick behind the motor grille with a black 1x2 brick and changed the front window to the version with dust and hole from a bullett.

0_0004_small

Second, this black 1x2 brick has a little secret. It is actually a technic 1x2 brick with a pin and a gray 1x1 round plate which can be seen when the grille is removed. This is the Scorpion Tracker's motor.

0_0005_small

Third, I added a bracket with a number plate and two trans-red rear lights. The "HC 514" is Johnny's very own number plate and has to be attached to the Scorpion Tracker.

0_0006_small

And a last picture - Johnny does some minor repairs on the motor, carefully watched by Patric and Dr. Lightning:

0_0001_small

I hope you like it. Comments and critics are very welcome!

Edited by The Reader

Before we continue to follow Johnny Thunder and his friends on their journey through Egypt, let me introduce Humphrey Breese who is the skipper of his motorboat “River Princess” and provides any kind of transportation services on the Nile.

Set 5986 Amazon Ancient Ruins is one of the best sets of the Adventurers’ line but has in my opinion one weak point: The set designer did a lousy job on the steam boat used by Senor Palomar and steered by Gabarro. I do like the 18 by 8 studs wide hull, but I think it can be used in a better way. That’s why I “bricklinked” one and tried to build Humphrey’s very own motorboat – the “River Princess”:

• I added a dark tan deck with a hatch to open.

• Beneath the hatch are some small stairs leading into the hold. At the rear end of the hold (just under the steering wheel) the engine is almost visible.

• The hold is used to transport whatever is necessary – even undead mummies …

• The deck itself is protected by a sun sail.

• At the stern there is the steering wheel and other useful equipment including Humphrey’s yellow coffee mug.

A few words regarding Humphrey:

• I took his first name from Humphrey Bogart who played Charlie Allnut in the 1951 movie “African Queen”. His last name “Breese” reminds of a breeze which fits to the other Adventurers’ names (Thunder, Lightning, Gail [gale] Storm, Harry Cane [hurricane]) - but despite his grim face he is a calm and friendly guy.

• His torso and legs are from the 2017 City Jungle Engineer. I just gave him a new head and a new skipper’s cap. Only later I recognised how similar he looks to Mac McCloud from Pharao’s Quest. But as this similarity is just a coincidence I decided to keep Humphrey in this shape.

Overall, I tried to catch the style of the LEGO Adventurers’ period.

0_0010_f

0_0016_f

0_0014_f

0_0007

0_0011

0_0015

More pictures in my Flickr album.

I hope you enjoy it. Critics and comments are very welcome!

Just simply love it, especially the additional dimension given by the hold. 

That's already four explorers in the bag, any news on an upcoming adventure? 

Looking forward to some adventures and more MOCs. Yuu're really capturing that feel of the old Adventurer's line.

@Medzomorak and @KotZ Thank you both. I am happy you like it. I appreciate that very much.

22 hours ago, Medzomorak said:

additional dimension given by the hold

This was exactly my intention. Giving the hull a better use by adding an extra room.

22 hours ago, KotZ said:

Yuu're really capturing that feel of the old Adventurer's line.

That's a great compliment!

22 hours ago, Medzomorak said:

any news on an upcoming adventure?

Well, we'll see ... there might be a secret in the desert ...

Well, it has been a while ... SARS-CoV-2 has changed the world ... but today I would like to continue this topic.

Back to Egypt in the year 1924!

To answer @Medzomorak's question -

On 2/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, Medzomorak said:

Maybe a Harry Cane teamup? ;) 

Harry Cane and Gail Storm are joining the team today:

0_0019

Harry has had luck and has been able to "organize" an old truck which they have loaded with some equipment before they headed of to meet Johnny and Dr. Lightning.

0_0020

0_0021

0_0022

I bought all parts on Bricklink to built the truck from set 2995 Adventurers' Car & Skeleton and modified it a bit. First, I added a roof on the driver's cabin which gave the truck quite a distinctive look back from the 1920s:

Mercedes-benz-museum-benz-lastwagen1912-3to

Source: User:Enslin - Eigenes Werk, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=863253

Second, as with the Scorpion Tracker I imitated the motor by a 1 x 1 round plate in silver:

0_0028

Third, I put some equipment in the back: a fuel barrel with hand pump, some tools, a backpack and a wooden crate with Dr. Lightning's stuff:

0_0027

More pictures in my Flickr album.

I hope you like it. Critics and comments are very welcome.

To be continued very soon with Episode 1: The secret in the desert.

Map 20

Edited by The Reader

I'd like to ad two more photos with a back view of the truck:

0_0030

0_0029

And I would like to draw everyone's attention to the great review of set 2995 made by @TrikBrix on youtube:

Edited by The Reader

Episode 1: The secret in the desert

Prologue

Some time ago, Doc Lightning had made a surprising find in an almost forgotten archive of the British Museum in London: four ancient maps of Egypt in a wooden crate.

0_0045

0_0046

Taking a closer look on the maps, he had made some interesting discoveries:

0_0047

Each of the maps shows the same symbols: the Nile river, some names of towns and places, on the left hand side from top to bottom a sphinx, pyramids and an obelisk and a red ruby. But each map also shows some different symbols. 

0_0048

Map 20 shows the head of the god Knuhm (head of a ram), a small figurine of that god in the bottom center and some hieroglyphs on the right bottom corner. A red cross in the bottom left corner marks the beginning of a dotted line.

Karte_20_small

Map 40 shows the head of the god Anubis (head of a jackal), a small figurine of that god in the center and as well some hieroglyphs on the right bottom corner. The red cross marks the crossing of the Nile river and the dotted line.

Karte_40_small

Map 60 shows the head of the god Thoht (head of an ibis), a small figurine of that god on the left hand side and some hieroglyphs on the right bottom corner. The red cross marks a place on the left bank of the Nile river.

Karte_60_small

Map 80 shows the head of the god Horus (head of a falcon with a sun), a small figurine of that god in the top center and some hieroglyphs on the right bottom corner. The red cross marks the end of the dotted line just in front of the sphinx.

Karte_80_small

Doc Lightning had soon realized that the dotted line was the way to find the magic red ruby - the Re-Gou Ruby - with map 20 showing the starting point and map 80 showing the final destination. He also had discovered that the hieroglyphs on each map corresponded to hieroglyphs on certain pillars:

To map 20

2454px1 zu Karte 20

To map 40

2454px2 zu Karte 40

To map 60

2454px4 zu Karte 60

To map 80

2454px3 zu Karte 80

After he had made these discoveries Doc Lightning immediately had contacted Johnny Thunder and some time later they found themselves ...

... in the Egyptian desert

When Doc Lightning, Johnny Thunder and Patric O'Leary had reached the placed marked by the red cross on map 20 - the starting point - they found an empty tomb on a hill.

0_0030

0_0031

But then Johnny discovered a small slot at the rear.

0_0032

With the help of some dynamite ... well, they opened the access to a hidden treasure chamber just below the tomb.

0_0033

0_0034

Doc Lightning took the golden goblet from the chamber. He just felt that it might be useful on their quest through Egypt.

0_0035

0_0036

To the MOC: I built this little vignette with this raised baseplate from set 6241. The exploding mechanism actually works with the help of that printed dynamite tile. It is the same mechanism that can be found in some of the old western sets (e.g. 6755).  The pillar with the hieroglyps is a new print which we got with set 10273, the Manor von Barron.

2454pb153

I hope you like it. Comments and critics are very welcome. More pictures on my flickr

Edited by The Reader

On 11/4/2020 at 9:56 AM, TwiceDeadTB said:

Hey Reader,

Very neat and also for me nostalgic stuff, I grew up with Johnny Thunder myself so this is neat to see.

Thank you very much!

Hi Reader,

Love your take on a super nostalgic theme. I have just recently completed some MOCs of my own in the original theme. You have also inspired me to seek out a few of those pirate sand base plates.

Here are a couple of pics: My take (MOD) of my favourite adventurers plane. And a (MOC) steam converted lugger for transporting goods up the Nile.

I am awaiting a few sets to build my collection and add the missing characters.... cant’t wait!!

41DCBC0F-6F5F-461C-897B-BBD0F6CB7772.jpeg

0E9F4D09-9530-4B50-9587-A1ABF3B98244.jpeg

Edited by AusChris
Photo issues...

I changed the LEGO CMF Series 22 birdwatcher into an adventuress from the 1930 so she fits to Johnny Thunder and his gang. I gave her a pith helmet instead of the cap, changed the left arm to get rid of the modern watch and equipped her with a brown bag.

0_0055

0_0056

Looking forward to the next instalment @The Reader! As a child of the 80’s too, the Adventurers theme arrived during my teen years, so I didn’t get many of the originals as I had little money but it is my ideal theme. I remember being in Greece and seeing the small jungle set 5901 and buying it with my paper round money. Would love a revival but good to see lots of MOCs, including new parts that compliment the theme well, like the toucan. We need some more rainforests animals!

@lifeinplastic Thank you very much for your comment. As a child of the 1970's I was too old (375 being one of my first Lego sets) and too young as well when the Adventurers arrived. It is only a few years when I came out of my dark ages.