Sign in to follow this  
Brickvergnugen

[MOC] Darth Scurvy’s Seadestroyer

After a decade plus of not building, my eldest is coming around to LEGO opening the door to get back at it.  I posted my this project in the Star Wars forum and reposting here as I’d really like to get some feedback/suggestion on the piratey side of this build. 

My daughter has decided that the Star Wars character’s have turned pirate and an appropriate ship was needed for their captain, Darth Scurvy and his trusty droid Yarr2-D2. 

70CF27ED-1CC6-4CC3-8134-ABD28C622540

No internals to speak of yet, that’s all up to my daughter, but I’d love to hear some critique of the progress thus far. I’m not done messing with the main top deck (where the one black TIE fighter pilot is standing) and looking for ways to make it a good bit more detailed. Most likely I’ll start with some railing around the edges.

252B40F7-3347-4C6B-BD21-0B56559790D93D8855BF-14CB-4851-B1C9-BFC527BD3A59

Cannon doors are connected such that they all open at once and the cannon inside are also bound together to move as one unit. Nothing fancy, just some 2x wide plate so they slide in unison. An earlier version had a rotating bar system to make the pop out all at once, but it wasn’t sturdy enough to stand up the the ship’s main purpose: for the kids to play with.  

ACBAD343-7192-4A95-B85C-77BD32C9C9FF

Each deck was built as a separate removable module for access to the inside.

1BE9C88D-D12C-49A0-BBE5-CE8EEF643D11

Also, since Darth needs someone to battle, we made Imperial Rebels: 

B5C54243-11A6-4F4C-AD75-8B0713390371

This is an amazing and gorgeous train wreck.
You put so much care and love into your kids. *sniffle*
I'm so very put off and so appreciative of this mash up at the same time.

Chewbacca with the cannon. - perfect
R2 units. - great part utilization, very sailpunk.
Luke has a saber. But Ca['n Darth needs the big jagged cleaver saber instead of a Woodsaber or Luke needs a Woodsaber.
The ship is waaay too boxy and angular for a ship BUT the strip of greebling is so very much star destroyer!
The Imp. cockpits for windows was a stroke of genius.

The whole thing is sick, demented genius.

As far as constructive suggestions... expand the cabins by lengthening the ship.
Needs more play room in there. And a cell to rescue Piratess Leia from. And a compactor sea monster in the bowels.

This is terrible and you should be proud of yourself!

This certainly is an interesting amalgamation!

Any chance of getting photo(s) of the ship against a neutral (e.g. white) background?

It seems to get lost among everything else behind it.

image.png

On 1/31/2020 at 10:17 AM, Masked Mini said:

This is an amazing and gorgeous train wreck.
You put so much care and love into your kids. *sniffle*
I'm so very put off and so appreciative of this mash up at the same time.

Chewbacca with the cannon. - perfect
R2 units. - great part utilization, very sailpunk.
Luke has a saber. But Ca['n Darth needs the big jagged cleaver saber instead of a Woodsaber or Luke needs a Woodsaber.
The ship is waaay too boxy and angular for a ship BUT the strip of greebling is so very much star destroyer!
The Imp. cockpits for windows was a stroke of genius.

The whole thing is sick, demented genius.

As far as constructive suggestions... expand the cabins by lengthening the ship.
Needs more play room in there. And a cell to rescue Piratess Leia from. And a compactor sea monster in the bowels.

This is terrible and you should be proud of yourself!

Thanks for the direct feedback! Great call on saber gaffe. Getting to work on that pronto. 

Agree that it’s too boxy, I wanted to make the rear cabin flare out much wider, but quickly found that I lacked sufficient slopes to carry it out. In fact, the buttressed look that it has is because I was waaaay short on slopes. There is a cell in bottom level, but not visible in the photos. That you mention a garbage compactor is hilarious. That was one of my first notions when starting off and I completely forgot about it when it came time to build. I suppose it would be most appropriate to move the jail up a level so the compactor can be beneath it with a neighboring chute down into it for genuine playtime action. 

19 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

This certainly is an interesting amalgamation!

Any chance of getting photo(s) of the ship against a neutral (e.g. white) background?

It seems to get lost among everything else behind it.

image.png

Good call, I’ll get some neutral background photos after finishing a few alterations. We’ve already expanded the bridge a bit wider to better accommodate the big round thingies that are on top of the Star Destroyers. 

21 hours ago, Gen. Knowledge said:

I like the Rebel Troops, their chin straps go well with that hat.

Thanks, that coordination is more a happy accident than anything planned. 

17 hours ago, Brickvergnugen said:

Good call, I’ll get some neutral background photos after finishing a few alterations.

Very good, sir!

I both love and hate it all at once ... Well done ...while not a traditional sailing ship this is a space ship I can get on board with lol

I'm not a starwars fan ... At least not a Lego starwars fan I don't hate his ship lol it's brilliant mix of two genres