Void_S

Control+ vs PF: Will we have "motorization" possibilities (not RC) in further? (Control+ compact "dummy" battery box?)

This and last year we got interesting Control+ electrical system that gave wider RC possibilities. They have a lot of advantages and disadvantages that were discussed here a lot in the different topics. My input here it the thing that still bothers me:

• The sets with motor(s), usually with a single one, purposed to move some actuators, rotate some turntables, give some air pressure (42053, 42055, for instance)
  • Or their "manual" brothers that have the same functions powered by a manual knob(s) with possibility to add a motor to them (42029)

So, why I'm talking about them? Just because these set categories have the thing that is common for them and looks useless and pointless without PF-motorization (not RC-control for drive&steer): the distribution and/or direction gearbox. You have a single motor and many levers that turns on and off some machinery functions powered by this motor. Alternatively, they have a single knob (which not very nice for play - rotate and rotate it moving some LAs, ughhh) but just made to be replaced with a motor.

Other "pure-manual" sets have a lot of knobs - each for each own function, outrigger, winch, etc. One function - one knob. It is great for play with no motors, so you can raise the crane arm and release the rope at the same time just by spinning two opposite knobs (42108).

My concern is, if we have Control+ as a PF replacement and still got no affordable and compact "static power source" (LiPo or a battery box) for a single Control+ motor, does it mean that we may have no "motorized" set with gearboxes in further? :look:

Updated 2020-01-30: soon we will know if 42113 Bell Osprey have a "dummy" power unit, or something else... So far we only know that the infographic presented on PoweredUp overview may be still actual. Notice the central section with a simple hub:

PU.jpg

Edited by Void_S
Adjusted the topic

TLG did mention they plan to relase a dumb battery box, same size as PU unit with 2 outputs. So IMO that will fix that issue.

Just now, Zerobricks said:

TLG did mention they plan to relase a dumb battery box, same size as PU unit with 2 outputs. So IMO that will fix that issue.

That would be great, because otherwise we have only RC-purposed units that are very huge and expensive to be used just as "dummy" power sources. Seems I have missed it, thanks!

Just now, Void_S said:

does it mean that we may have no "motorized" set with gearboxes in further? 

According to some eye-witnesses, the new Osprey plane has 1 C+ motor and 4-function distribution-gearbox. So 2020-2H might already answer your question and take away your concern.

Just now, Rudivdk said:

According to some eye-witnesses, the new Osprey plane has 1 C+ motor and 4-function distribution-gearbox. So 2020-2H might already answer your question and take away your concern.

I believe so but just wasn't very optimistic as the model itself could be bulky enough to fit the full-size unit. Like 42109 that was screaming for something more compact :wink:

So, I'm really looking forward to see 2020 H2 sets anyways.

18 minutes ago, Void_S said:

could be bulky enough to fit the full-size unit

Let's hope not, that would be a BIG letdown for me (why should I pay for a 4channel BT remote device when I only use 1 output through manual manipulation?)

At least 42109 makes use of the BT remote part, albeit in a bulky form (2channel would be enough but ok)

Edited by Rudivdk

54 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Let's hope not, that would be a BIG letdown for me (why should I pay for a 4channel BT remote device when I only use 1 output through manual manipulation?)

I'm sure a lot of people would like to see a dumb unit with 4 ports, since the PU connector is not stackable it is not that difficult to reach the limit with e.g. two motors and two lights. I guess it will be either the form factor of the AAA hub with 2 ports or the AA hub with 4 ports, simply without the BT unit. I'd give extra points for a speed regulator like the one we had on the rechargeable battery box :) 

23 hours ago, Void_S said:

I believe so but just wasn't very optimistic as the model itself could be bulky enough to fit the full-size unit. 

It could always be placed vertically to make thinner fuselage. :wink:

Right here an infographic is shown that shows the 'simple' hub (battery box) as the exact same unit as the C+ smarthub, but with only 2 ports and 2 switches on top (probably on/off or forward/off/backward per port). It looks legit, although I can't verify if it is a genuine LEGO picture.

22 hours ago, kbalage said:

the AA hub with 4 ports, simply without the BT unit

So you were right about the shape, but unfortunately it looks like only 2 ports. On the position of the 3rd or 4th port I can see a round hole that looks like a plug for a charger cable?! Would it be LiPo or something rechargable? Can't imagine that actually...

Just now, Rudivdk said:

So you were right about the shape, but unfortunately it looks like only 2 ports. On the position of the 3rd or 4th port I can see a round hole that looks like a plug for a charger cable?! Would it be LiPo or something rechargable? Can't imagine that actually...

Interesting. The 2 port - 2 button combination solves a lot of potential issues with usability but it's not very "economical" to have such a big box with only 2 outputs. There's another toy fair next month, hopefully someone will have a closer look :)

Just now, kbalage said:

Interesting. The 2 port - 2 button combination solves a lot of potential issues with usability but it's not very "economical" to have such a big box with only 2 outputs. There's another toy fair next month, hopefully someone will have a closer look :)

On second look, the round hole might be an axle hole, so maybe you can put an axle in there to 'remotely' control the port switches (similar to the PF pole reverser or the latest Pneumatics switch). Then either side would have such a hole next to the port. Or it could even be your desired speed regulator (1 per port).

But you are right, let's patiently wait before jumping to conclusions until we get some real footage of this stuff.