PhoenixAustria

The Rise of a New Lego City Layout - Wild City

Hello dear Lego fans,

After having signed up here in the Eurobricks forums in 2011, I posted a new thread in the "Hello my name is..." section about my plans to create my own Lego City layout. Now almost 9 years later, I can finally show you some of the progress that has been made just at the beginning of the new decade :) Good things come to those who wait.

Renovations on the attic are finally complete (apart from the lighting) and we now have around 110 m² to unleash our imagination. The current plans of the Lego city layout add up to around 60m² in size and they are, as you can see in the video, far from finished. However, I thought you might be interested in some of the things that my girlfriend and me were designing in the last couple of days.

The name of the city is still unknown, but the overall design has started to take shape with a downtown area, which includes all the modulars, and shops, a residential area, an amusement park, a winter village, a train yard and a harbor/beach area. I would also like to add an airport to the city and some of the classic monorail tracks have been placed already. We are also getting into MOC a little bit and we will add our own creations to the layout as soon as they look nice!

The commentary of the video is in German, but I am trying to add English subtitles into the system.

Please let us know what you think here in the forums or in the comments section of YouTube. I will keep you posted on future updates if you like :)

Note: All of the parts used in this layout are original Lego parts, except for some of the baseplates. I thought that lime green in the Hogwarts castle area might look cool, but I will probably exchange it for regular grass green baseplates in the near future.

Thank you so much for taking a look! :) 

Christof

Edited by PhoenixAustria

Space enough but size is not always important :)
I see mainly sets so up to you to make it a coherent City with more own input :) Good luck and have fun.

Wow, that’s a lot of room to work with. You have quite the assortment there too, by the looks of it. You have a great start going. I assume that area the Modulars are surrounding is going to be a square of some sort?

On 1/31/2020 at 2:02 AM, Vindicare said:

Wow, that’s a lot of room to work with. You have quite the assortment there too, by the looks of it. You have a great start going. I assume that area the Modulars are surrounding is going to be a square of some sort?

Yes, the plan is to tile the entire square in grey and place trees, flower beds and a fountain in the center. I am waiting for the Bricklink orders to arrive ;)

Hello!

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes Huaojozu, dust is an issue, but I use these Swiffer dusters that turned out to be really convenient as they usually do not destroy anything :D

We are still in the process of arranging everything and trying to find out where to put what, but some places see a bit of personality already!

Over the last couple of days, we have made some updates to the layout - mainly to the city square. Please watch the new video if you are interested in the progress that has been made!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUODV9Nx8Fg

Christof

Edited by PhoenixAustria
video link did not work

Wow, this is really coming along! I love the square. The pattern, the seating areas. The 2x4 brick set. The way you framed it with the buildings. Great job. Everything else is coming together nicely too. 

One thing I’ll suggest...color. Maybe add some splashes of color on the ground of the square. It’s a lot of one color. It does look good as is, but it could be boosted. I have a plaza area much like you that was all dark tan(4 32x32’s for the most part). I added some color around my seating areas & it made a world of difference. 

Edited by Vindicare

Dear Lego fans,

Thanks for all of your feedback! Rita and I have been expanding several districts of the city over the last couple of weeks. Primarily, she focused on the amusement park that now features paths to connect the different attractions. I spent a lot of time building a snow mountain that separates the winter village from the rest of the layout in a more sophisticated way than just a regular fence. Two train lines run through the mountain range and the mine is now also placed there. Unfortunately, we ran out of pieces, but more BL orders are on the way. Next: I will work on the train depot and Rita will expand the beach area. However, for both, we need more chipboard to extend the layout a bit.

You can see the progress here in this video. We uploaded a couple of other videos on the city layout as well, just in case you are interested ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIGvhkg8L8E

Kind regards,

Christof

Edited by PhoenixAustria

Hello Lego fans,

our last update here on Eurobricks was back in April. Today, much of our Lego City looks totally different and many things have changed. Rita and I have placed thousands of new Lego parts and hundreds of minifigures into the layout. Just yesterday, we expanded the beach and sea area and posted a video on YouTube. Please feel free to comment your thoughts here or in the YT comments section. Our videos do have English subtitles, but most of them are AI-generated, so we sincerely apologize... ;) Have fun watching! Christof

So far a very impressive size for a layout, @PhoenixAustria! :oh:

(I wish I had the same space - and wouldn't need to destroy a layout in order to build up another one.)

Til now I like the most your main square and the winter village - very well done! :thumbup: