Sign in to follow this  
Jonsson

[Mod] 1985 Audi Sport Quattro S1 (E2+E1) 76897 (Updated)

Ever since I saw the preview pictures of this set I knew I had to get it.

I never cared for the Speed Champions line, the scale were off and they looked more like caricatures than a model of the real deal.

I get Lego wanted some real cool cars to fit within the city scale and therefore went with the 6-wide.

But still – they looked way off – until now. The move to 8-wide just made the cars interesting!

And I applaude Lego to have the guts to take on an even more narrow niche – Classic Rally Group B. 
Lets hope that this is just the beginning and that we will get the Lancia Delta S4, Peugeot 205 T16 and the rest of the group b cars as well! 

As good as it might look straight out of the box there is still room for improvement.

As a real petrol head you want accurate details, and of course an engine bay.
To accomplish this within the scale would prove quite the challenge.

But after som fiddling I’ve reached a point that I feel I can at least show a few pictures of the first alteration of the modified S1 E2. I just have to admit to myself that I’ll never be finished and that this will have to do for now.

49455468448_b33a11f049_z.jpg

49455943101_4e5744e5de_z.jpg

49456171172_84bfd9e5e1_z.jpg

Some nice info and pictures of the real deal (replica though):

https://gti.fi/artikkelit/brutal-b

Changes:

Opening hood with detailed engine bay of the 5-cylinder fire breathing heart of the S1. 
Complete with cylinder head, intake, injection, turbo, airfilter, blow off valve and downpipe.

Changed the wheel arches to be able to accomplish the above.
They are not ideal for the bodylines but it was a compromise I had to make,

Tidier auxiliary lights. The original ones where way to blocky and square.

Studless roof.

Updated seats – they will not fit a minifig anymore but since I don’t care about them it doesn’t bother me.

Rear lights, most of the S1 E2:s had dark tinted lights – hence why I went that route.

Added a round plate to get the exaust pipe to protrude a bit more.

Left to do:

Find a way to brick build the rear bodywork/fenders instead of using stickers for the air outlet.
Manage to apply the roof sticker without covering several tiles at once.

More pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/107288644@N07/albums/72157712875968322/with/49456171017/

Last but not least, a sneak peek of the Sport Quattro S1 E1 version i'm still working on.

49456171017_55648bff22_z.jpg

Small update with thrre pictures of the (incomplete - still missing some stickers) E1 version:

49617825357_2e3de970ac_z.jpg

49617826352_75811a8713_z.jpg

49617568526_5dc500715e_z.jpg

Edited by Jonsson
Spelling.

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The fake engine and the new design of the front lights are amazing! :wub_drool:

You've done a great MOD! :thumbup:

seconded !

special mention to the motor ! outstanding !

the 35480 part with 36840 one for the front light is well thought

I really want to see that Sport Quattro now! The closer this car gets to the original Audi Quattro, the higher the chances I buy it to put in my city.

Awesome work!

Looks awesome man, I've never been into speed champions either but the quattro is really tempting. Love the front lights and engine. Is the bonnet/hood printed? 

22 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The fake engine and the new design of the front lights are amazing! :wub_drool:

You've done a great MOD! :thumbup:

Thank you for your kind word, and yes I think the front lights now gives more justice to the appearence of the car. =)

19 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

seconded !

special mention to the motor ! outstanding !

the 35480 part with 36840 one for the front light is well thought

Thanks again, I really like to build the engine bays, and make them look as true to the original as possible. The limited space though forces you to choose which parts to reacreate and leave some of them out. Without sacrificing to much of the general appearence.

The parts you mention really saved the day this time. 

12 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I really want to see that Sport Quattro now! The closer this car gets to the original Audi Quattro, the higher the chances I buy it to put in my city.

Awesome work!

Happy you like it, there is some parts I need to figure out before I'm satisfied though. Mainly the rear end, it is difficult to get it to look "right"

12 hours ago, electropie said:

Looks awesome man, I've never been into speed champions either but the quattro is really tempting. Love the front lights and engine. Is the bonnet/hood printed? 

Yes the bonnet its printed att looks really good - just wish you could get it without the studs...

Wow - very cool! I love the engine bay and the stud-less roof! 

Might have to try the roof change on my own.. Any maybe the front lights too, they look great! 

Great work! 

All I can say is, well done. This is one of the things I like about the new Speed Champions cars, they are more receptive to being modded and you have done a very inspirational job on this one. 

On 1/30/2020 at 2:11 PM, Johnny1360 said:

All I can say is, well done. This is one of the things I like about the new Speed Champions cars, they are more receptive to being modded and you have done a very inspirational job on this one. 

Thank you kindly for your comment! 

On 1/30/2020 at 9:24 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

With these upgrades I could consider buying the model! :sweet:

Glad you like it that much! 

Go get it! ? 

On 2/3/2020 at 2:52 AM, Merlict said:

Excellent mods

I like it a lot more without the chin spoiler / splitter too

Thanks. I hope I will have it finished in a new future, maybe not with an engine bay though in rev. 1.0.

Could you post better/ different angle pics of the front motor and what parts you used to make it. or maybe have it out of the car, I would like to do this as well

also would like to see better pics of the seats if you are willing

Edited by fenrys