Indeed. All those stores Lego mentioned are surely going to sell for retail price :pir-hmpf:

They're piling on one failure upon another in handling this situation.

Edited by nhk

23 minutes ago, nhk said:

Indeed. All those stores Lego mentioned are surely going to sell for retail price :pir-hmpf:

They're piling on one failure upon another in handling this situation.

If the stores know what's up, they'll implement one set per person limits. If they have even more sense, they'll buy some with their own paychecks, and then resell them themselves online. I'm keen to pick one up at a local store because of nostalgia for making a motorised V-22 myself as a kid, but I can't really blame people who will want to pick up multiples and make a profit. It's kinda a historic set now, being both the first (and last) officially licensed Lego "war" set, and exceptionally rare.

Good Lord, I just noticed this set is 71cm wide. It's huge! Shame it's been cancelled. Could we see a recycled design just different enough to get away with it not being licensed? As to distance itself a little from the controversy, while still being able to release a "corrected" version of the set? I'd imagine TLG would rather forget completely about this model...

Those ebay prices, wouldn't it be way cheaper to bricklink all the parts?

Oh, 1 of those ebay links has a bidding war. Well, seems there are people with cash to throw away.

23 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Those ebay prices, wouldn't it be way cheaper to bricklink all the parts?

I think bricklink-ing all the parts would take maybe 200-250 USD at most.

3 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Man the prices are bloody hell insane!!

They are, from many perspectives.

This is even more shabby than the whole madness altogether. $1500 for a toy for which we have the instructions and almost all pieces ... for me that's a $1300 donation for Covid-19 affected and $200 for the set (or whatever the retail price was).

Yes I know: We're living in a rich men's world (I do like even the ABBA version of that song) - and this is how it is. And: For the rest of your life you can tell people who don't want to know THE story.

Time to go to work - done (home office :pir-sweet:)

Have a nice day!

Best
Thorsten 

7 hours ago, nhk said:

I'm puzzled why people are so quick to accept that fantasy vs fiction justification clause. It's not okay.

You / others seem to confuse ethics and rules here.

TLG have a rule.  

The rule lets them make a lot of money producing sets themed around conflict. 

At the same time they can maintain the optic that they are not associated with current conflict.

It's not an ethical policy.

It's an optical policy.

18 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

It's an optical policy.

:laugh:

Very nicely phrased - will use that phrase in the next faculty meeting ... :head_back:

Best
Thorsten

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Man the prices are bloody hell insane!!

I will really laugh my megablocks off if the set is released after all.

Jesus Christ, that bidding war. Some people are deranged

Edited by Bartybum

16 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Jesus Christ, that bidding war. Some people are deranged

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, thought it was time for new glasses. Same guy has two auctions both are at crazy money.

Edited by dabo

Ouch. The Ebay bidding war kinda makes my little story from a few pages ago more relevant. I'll post it here again for your enjoyment.

'It was autumn 2020 in a European city. It was a late cloudy afternoon and the darkness was already setting in. Not far from the tourist center a man stood at a street corner. He was a tall slender man in a black tracksuit. The suit had three white stripes. Another man approached him.

"Hey, how you doing," said the approaching man. He was wearing casual clothes and a blue cap and appeared slightly anxious.

"What's up man," said the man in the tracksuit without paying too much attention to the newcomer.

"So... you got any?" asked the new man nervously.

"Any what, man? Get out of here, I don’t know you," said the man in the tracksuit while looking left and right as if to see if anyone else was paying attention.

"Come on, you know... I heard you got the good stuff."

The man in the tracksuit gave the man with the cap a good look as if to size him up. After a few seconds pause he said: "You with TLG or DFG-VK?"

"No, I'm a straight up consumer. Honest."

"Man, I don't know. You look shady."

"No, I'm good. Honest. I haven't built anything in about a month. I need a hit. I’m kinda desperate."

The man in the tracksuit didn’t answer immediately. He looked around one more time for prying eyes and ears before responding.

"Hmm... alright. Maybe I can hook you up with one."

"Actually... do you have two?"

"Two? Man, you crazy."

"No, come on. It' not just for me. I got kids. Have a heart."

"Oh, you got kids? You got money too?"

"I do. I got it."
"Alright, man. I can hook you up with two. But it's gonna cost you. Double plus ten percent."

"Aw... that's steep."

"Hey! I'm only supposed to give one per. This stuff's the real deal. Full package and everything. It's no Chinese knockoff. And we're running low. So make up your mind and stop wasting my time."

"Okay," said the man with the blue cap and then he reached in his pocket and got out a thick cash roll. He handed over the roll to the man in the tracksuit who put it in his pocket without looking at it. Then the man in the tracksuit turned towards an alley to his rear and gave a discrete signal to another man who stood next to a parked white van (Ford Transit van). That man reached inside the van, worked as if he was packing something, then came up with a large grocery bag. He put the bag on the ground, next to the other two men and then left, returning to the van.

"Well, looks like this is your lucky day after all, man. But I gotta warn you. This is advanced level stuff. Don’t go at it like an amateur. Take your time, make it last. You'll have a blast. And keep a low profile. If they find out about it they can revoke your VIP membership. You can loose all your points,” said the man in the tracksuit.

The other man grabbed the grocery bag and left. Throughout his journey home he felt uneasy. He had this constant urge to look behind him to see if anyone was following. Finally, before entering his apartment building, he did look back but didn’t see anyone that had been following.

Quickly, he went over the stairs, entered his apartment, only slightly nodded towards his wife as he went past her right into the children’s room. As he entered he carefully closed the door behind him.

“Did, you get it, daddy?” asked one of the children eagerly.

The man put the grocery bag down on the floor and the reached inside. He grabbed what looked like a big box wrapped in white paper. Quickly he tore the paper up and placed the naked box in front of them.

“I sure did. Lego Technic set 42113, Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey,” said the man with great satisfaction. “I got you guys one and I’m keeping one for myself. Look, we need to keep a low profile on this. Assemble and play with it quietly. Make sure you don’t brag about it in school. You guys know what happened to your classmate, Andrej.

The two children didn’t say anything and lowered their heads. They knew all too well what had happened to Andrej.’

As an obvious disclaimer the above is just a fictional story and not meant to be taken seriously.

Just now, dabo said:

thought it was time for new glasses

When is saw it, my first fear was that my glasses may crack (varifocals, kinda expensive, you get 3 of my model for the V22 model on ebay though :ugh:)

But then I thought: Don't worry, they are made of high-performance, high-quality, high-what-not, and highly priced plastic.

And then they melted.

5 minutes ago, dabo said:

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, thought it was time for new glasses. Same guy has two auctions both are at crazy money.

This person is a well known lego collector and reseller in Christchurch nz. And has over ten in his possession and jim if I could swear on this forum is call him a !@#$.. however once the us and Europe sell stock it will be the same I'm sure. It's been madness here in nz people just clearing the shelves 

I would like to know, does anyone have any ideas which European/ UK stockists will have those precious few which they are allowed to sell? I'm more than happy to queue for opening time next Saturday, like it's some strange nerdy Black Friday sale, but I've had no luck so far contacting any Lego sellers in the UK. Most weren't expecting to get the new Technic sets before the August 1st release, which means they don't have any right now, and so won't be selling any Ospreys.

3 hours ago, andythenorth said:

You / others seem to confuse ethics and rules here.

I'm not really confused about it. It's been pretty clear to me, since I got into the hobby, that that while Ole Kirk Christiansen had principles, the modern TLG has little ethics, but all the hypocrisy to claim they do.
What I'm confused about is why a lot of others actually believe in some imaginary company values, even more now, when they've practically confirmed their lack of integrity with this recall.

6 hours ago, JackK34 said:

If they have even more sense, they'll buy some with their own paychecks, and then resell them themselves online.

While this might make sense from a profit standpoint, it's completely unethical. It's also what will likely happen to over 90% of sets. All brought to you by the gracious foresight of The Lego Company themselves, who really can't stop it at this point, but I doubt they care about the situation anyway. Their part is done, controversy avoided, political move successful.

Edited by nhk

10 hours ago, leinaud said:

Oh goodness me. People who buy it for 1500 quid might end up loosing a lot of money if TLG decides to bring the set somehow...

47 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

People are fast in doing rebuilds. Found this on FB with parts 100% available. Looks stunning

There are officially too many EB topics about this set now. The image you show is the work of @efferman. See this topic: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/179217-42113-reconstruction-guide/&page=3

59 minutes ago, Coolusername said:

Oh goodness me. People who buy it for 1500 quid might end up loosing a lot of money if TLG decides to bring the set somehow...

I'm quite sure that even if the set is re-released in some form, it'll be modified in some ways and that means the original release will retain its collector's value. Nobody would buy the set for that absurd price anyway if they just wanted a cool Technic set.

29 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I'm quite sure that even if the set is re-released in some form, it'll be modified in some ways and that means the original release will retain its collector's value. Nobody would buy the set for that absurd price anyway if they just wanted a cool Technic set.

Lets hope they change it up a bit (to not look quite like an Osprey) and rerelease it.! Most don't care about the "first edition" anyway, they just want the cool set.

Out of curiosity I wanted to see whether one of the companies-which-shall-not-be-named-here is going to be selling their copy of this set and quite indeed, I see that they are preparing to do such thing.

Even more bad news for TLG. I see plenty of people getting that, even more encouraged to do so if TLG doesn't figure out a way to still release it.

As I said, people are going to get this set one way or another. The time and effort that they'll go through to get it will reflect in a penalty against TLG's image and reputation.