13 minutes ago, Coolusername said:

Hmm, what if someone makes a "moc" (since we have the instruction) but with different colored parts and no stickers. Technically it's not the official set then? Or is it?

I'd classify it as a mod.

I've been pretty aggressive in my stance against Lego, because this is the first Technic set in over a year that I've been interested in.
Now that I've cooled off a bit, I have to say that they're probably not as malicious as I painted them to be, but their lack of transparency still stands as a serious question mark against them.

54 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I got some thoughts today:
- The reviewers (Sariel, RacingBrick/kbalage) received 42112 and 42115 early for review but didn't receive the 42113. And since the day that the sets were sent and the day the reviews received the sets must have been before the embargo date (July 16th and July 17th), that already means the decision to postpone the release of 42113 must have occured in the first several days of July. This would also mean the protest of that peace group didn't have that much impact as people think it did. Perhaps it only serve as a catalyst. Or, as posited by some, it could have been orchestrated by TLG to give them a legit excuse to back out of the release.
- TLG's own actions defeat their point about "not wanting to be associated with an arm manufacturer" or "not wanting to release a military aircraft". The fact is just that some people already got their copies through legitimate means, which means TLG did release the set to them. It has never been and will never be true that "TLG had a wake-up slap and regained their conscience and managed to stop the release of such a heinous and unethical model." It's that they did release it. And since the promotion materials have been prepared and released, there is always proof that TLG does / used to have dealings with Bell and Boeing.
- JB Spielwaren has been requested (or should I say ordered) by TLG to take down his 42113 review videos, and he actually did. Someone will send Sariel a copy soon, but I'm not sure if TLG will give him a pass. They already requested that he changed his channel's name. @Sariel what do you think about this? 

- Precisely my thoughts on point 1, although admittedly there could be another explanation. If they were anticipating or still debating the cancellation, Lego could have opted to not send review samples in case it was recalled as it transpired in the end. That would could also explain how some sets made it to retailers. But why send them if they're close to cancelling it in the first place ? The equally plausible alternate version is that they cancelled the set internally long before it was announced, but by then they had produced a certain amount of sets. Thus they could have pulled this current stunt in order to have a excuse to offload their stock to retailers and in reality have nothing in storage.
- TLG don't have an anti-military contractor point in their policy, just anti-military sets. In fact it is stated that they support all military personnel if I'm remembering correctly. It's absolutely true that they haven't been woken up from anything, they just miscalculated how their own language will be used against them. In fact, the poor writing of said policy is what got them in trouble, since they have been treating it as 'will not produce military themed' for years, but the text didn't reflect that. Instead of admitting this they opted to uphold the appearance of stricter values than their actual standard. Also it's very likely that an internal dispute did take place, as suggested, and likely a SJW executive made the final decision, where obviously a lot of people were fine with it, since the set got produced in the first place.
- It's going to be pretty unfortunate if Sariel isn't allowed to post a review of this set. Lego's legal and/or PR teams have been overreacting a huge deal in the past months.

Edited by nhk

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

- JB Spielwaren has been requested (or should I say ordered) by TLG to take down his 42113 review videos, and he actually did. Someone will send Sariel a copy soon, but I'm not sure if TLG will give him a pass. They already requested that he changed his channel's name. @Sariel what do you think about this? 

I have a copy on the way and I'm checking with LEGO how they feel about a review. Perhaps they went after JB Spielwaren because he's a retailer and he got his 42113 directly from LEGO? This won't be the case with me.

On 7/23/2020 at 6:51 AM, Shiva said:

Those ebay prices, wouldn't it be way cheaper to bricklink all the parts?

Oh, 1 of those ebay links has a bidding war. Well, seems there are people with cash to throw away.

It often is. Back in the 'Lego is a better investment than gold' period the cost of Bricklinking the Super Star Destroyer was half of what the sealed set went for.

19 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I think LEGO would be pretty 2-faced if they'd make some generic Creator 3-in-1 jets/helicopters next wave. (the military lookalike sets)

I certainly can see why those sets weren't an issue then, and they were mostly overlooked, but now the focus is on them for sure.

I'd rather have them openly admit to their mistakes and widen their policy, either make those licensed vehicles 18+ or something, rather then never seeing any jet/helicopter ever again.

They would look pretty two-faced for sure, but the German Peace Society would be just fine with it.  On their website, they specifically highlight the 2017 Air Race Jet (the Technic F-35 lookalike) as just fine by them, and they specifically say a generic tiltrotor without the license would be just fine too.  So going by that there's no reason for the Creator 3-in-1 airplane line to stop.  But now I'm talking about Creator, not Technic, in a Technic thread, so I'll stop.

5 minutes ago, icm said:

They would look pretty two-faced for sure, but the German Peace Society would be just fine with it.  On their website, they specifically highlight the 2017 Air Race Jet (the Technic F-35 lookalike) as just fine by them, and they specifically say a generic tiltrotor without the license would be just fine too.  So going by that there's no reason for the Creator 3-in-1 airplane line to stop.  But now I'm talking about Creator, not Technic, in a Technic thread, so I'll stop.

Ok, that makes sense, since those activists were really focusing on the Boeing brand, more then anything.

LEGO did make a generic Technic tiltrotor in 2006 which looked much more like the AW609 (at the time BA609 due to Bell/Agusta), which originated from the same project.

Edited by TeriXeri

So I just popped into my local toyshop this morning after hearing the news that Lego will let them sell the stock they have received.  Turns out they had 3 delivered and they were were all sold on Thursday (Pre Order) as they can't sell them until the 1st.  I just know at least 2 of them will be on ebay at an nice profit for someone.

It did make me think about how many might be in the UK market?  assuming that single toy shop were able to buy 3 units.  there could be up to 1500 in the country, assuming some argos stores get stock, maybe these will be availble on the ebay market for around £200 in a few weeks time if there are more available than we realise?  Obvioulsy at the moment due to the limited availability, people are paying upwards of £500 for the set.  But hopefully it will come down. 

I'm quite jealous seeing how many people in the UK were able to find one(or three). It looks great with the DBG and orange color scheme, and would be a great display piece.

1 hour ago, therealjustin said:

I'm quite jealous seeing how many people in the UK were able to find one(or three). It looks great with the DBG and orange color scheme, and would be a great display piece.

I'm unfortunately not one of those people, and I'm still on the lookout.  It requires a shop that has no clue what they have, and I'm hoping they just put them out on the shelf next week.  But there definately seems a lot on ebay in the UK.  I'm wondering if some shop owners are taking the opportunity to make some revenue back that they lost during COVID lockdown by selling them on eBay.  I guess that letter from Lego telling them they won't get any more has probably made them realise their worth.

Just checked eBay Germany and there were some sold at 4000+ Euro by a Lego® Authorized Seller. I wonder what TLG would have to say about that.

19 hours ago, nhk said:

Just checked eBay Germany and there were some sold at 4000+ Euro by a Lego® Authorized Seller. I wonder what TLG would have to say about that.

You sometimes see crazy auction prices like this and I do wonder whether the buyer completes the transaction.  I can't see how anyone can seriously pay that sort of amount of hard earned money (unless it was not hard earned).  Especially when cheaper ones are available.  Earlier in the week they were listed at 130 euro buy it now.  now look at it.  I still think in a few weeks time after the official launch date we may see that more are available and hopefully the price comes down to a more sensible £200 level

Just now, paul_delahaye said:

Earlier in the week they were listed at 130 euro buy it now.  now look at it.

Where was this ?

2 hours ago, nhk said:

Where was this ?

ebay, from a seller in Germany the day before Lego announced the set was cancelled.......

So one of the eBay listings showed a case of 3 that he had (with the Lego manufacturing information label on it). The date on the box was May 2020. If they have been producing these since May, the hope is that on August 1st retailers will have a few. Trying to locate one in the U.S. isn't seeming very likely right now however.

If anyone knows any information about U.S. stock please let me know here or PM me

-RailCo

having built the 42113 from parts I had lying around, I can say that from a technical standpoint, its a shame they cancelled the set considering how good of a model it is.

the gearbox in particular is advanced thanks to the fairly new 7x11 frames. The model has a lot of functions too and its a good parts pack.

I have a confirmation from LEGO that it's OK to publish a review of a legally purchased 42113 copy and that JBSpielwaren's video has been taken down specifically because he's a retailer and he reviewed a copy received from LEGO.

8 minutes ago, Sariel said:

I have a confirmation from LEGO that it's OK to publish a review of a legally purchased 42113 copy and that JBSpielwaren's video has been taken down specifically because he's a retailer and he reviewed a copy received from LEGO.

It's funny that you'll still have to put the "No I don't know how you can get one too" in the FAQ sidebar

8 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It's funny that you'll still have to put the "No I don't know how you can get one too" in the FAQ sidebar

Lol. Wish I knew how I could get one in the States... :hmpf_bad: I'll probably just find the parts on BL and call it a day

2 hours ago, eric trax said:

Osprey set will return with changed design and drive (issue) mods in 2021

CHANGE MY MIND :tongue:

If it does (which I doubt) then I doubt it'll be licensed

9 hours ago, eric trax said:

Osprey set will return with changed design and drive (issue) mods in 2021

CHANGE MY MIND :tongue:

But there isn't much space to fix the issue.

They can remove the gear box and make a manual version. That's how I would have preferred it in the first place :laugh:

20 minutes ago, Andman said:

Can those who have the set confirm the issues described here?

I have the set but can't really confirm it because I rarely turn on the blades, and now that I have implemented my mod to ease the stress on the axle, I don't think I'll encounter this problem.