All discussion about reconstructing your own 42113 should go here. And the link for the instruction is also in there too.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

1 hour ago, fosamax said:

So now, all Lego has to do is build a nice B model from 42113 parts (or a few more) , pack it without licensing and release it as a A model and everyone will be able to build the Osprey using those leaked instructions. Problem solved.

Genius :)

What a waste of money and resources here. Not only the designer, people who build the instruction, making the box design, marketing... These are all resources for the missing B-models in 2020.

I can't even begin to imagine what this set will sell for on ebay :laugh::ugh:

Edited by Coolusername

16 hours ago, Toastie said:

Do you really believe in that? Really? Come on.

TLG has a legal department that can sue the SH*T out of people. Youtube. BrickLink. LEPIN. You name it. And they cannot take it up with that - apparently random - organization? Are you kidding me???

All this "small groups of angry people" crap has become so bizarre in this thread, so utterly bizarre ... you can't possibly believe in such nonsense. What is going on here?

Read and read again what TLG has written: THEY have decided to do it this way. There are many alternatives. Many!

Just don't crack down on these DFG-VK folks - you totally overestimate what they can accomplish. Completely. This is about an all-plastic TOY. To have fun with.

TLG pulled the plug - for whatever reason. But again: When their legal folks are so weak to take it up, then sorry: They deserve it. And: We have to live with it. And again: Do you really believe that?

I simply don't get this. Other than: people are frustrated about that cancellation and blow off steam. In the totally wrong direction though, as far as I am concerned.

For me it would be much more interesting why they >really< cancelled the set. To be honest, I find it cheap, really cheap, how they phrased their reasons. Just unloading on other people.

Thorsten

I can see where you're coming from, but in this case: yes, I do really believe that. Were this a careful, measured decision involving TLG's legal department, it would have taken days to come together. Instead it took hours. From what I know, there's no way a large company can make decisions that fast unless one or two executives decide to just force a decision. So yes, I believe that this is a knee-jerk reaction by a few higher-ups without appropriate thought or discussion, in response to some publicised outrage by a small group.

Had Lego taken a couple of weeks to come out with their response, and given detailed, thought out reasons for why this set was designed in the first place and what then made them change their minds about releasing it, then I would agree that this was really TLG re-examining their decisions and changing their approach. But they didn't.

Edited by ChocolateCrisps

42 minutes ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

Were this a careful, measured decision involving TLG's legal department, it would have taken days to come together. Instead it took hours. From what I know, there's no way a large company can make decisions that fast unless one or two executives decide to just force a decision. So yes, I believe that this is a knee-jerk reaction by a few higher-ups without appropriate thought or discussion, in response to some publicised outrage by a small group.

(I took the freedom to mark a few of your words on bold, hope that is OK)

Ahh - I can see that as well. Thank you for your response!

For me it then goes even further into the direction of TLG: They should have reacted way more wisely on this one. There are so many ways to approach this issue; one is certainly not to freak out in this way but: think. Twice. The yelling and cussing and shouting reactions regarding '"small groups" using the internet for exponential growth' are - as far as I am concerned - equally leading nowhere. Other than: Blowing off personal steam. But that is sometimes also very counterproductive.

For me, I can conclude this:

• DFG-VK has made a very dumb and dull decision of targeting TLG (the radio reported this morning it was because a group of protesters in front of the LEGO store in Berlin, I'll check, but I believe this group came there because they heard of it through the internet - but I don't know). I am very much in line though with their general agenda - when not dealing with toy companies
  • TLG has made an even dumber decision in stopping this; rather than moving wisely forward (should this protest really be the central reason for stopping this, see above post)
  • Any reactions should go to DFG-VK AND TLG, without all that shouting and (dumb) cursing, but with all the wisdom and knowledge present, at least here on EB; I have read so many good arguments here to actually release the set, despite that protest.

All the best
Thorsten         

I got an e-mail from a Polish supplier that the premiere of the 42113 set was postponed to August 17.

Don't cry Boys ;) 

3 minutes ago, eric trax said:

I got an e-mail from a Polish supplier that the premiere of the 42113 set was postponed to August 17.

Don't cry Boys ;) 

At that supplier, or worldwide? :D

And, how does she/he got that info?

Just now, Jockos said:

At that supplier, or worldwide? :D

And, how does she/he got that info?

They received information probably from Lego. The premiere being delayed and the sets will receive later.

They probably make new boxes :D

@Ngoc Nguyen Thank You for taking the time and effort to get the instructions out. 

@eric trax Thank you for the info, Please Keep us updated.

In the meantime lets keep this petition going LINK: http://chng.it/cnHpmGcmN6
Maybe LEGO adds 18+ and releases it, as if that will stop consumers under 18 from building it. We must not give up yet, with so many of us emailing LEGO.

Edited by AirDolphin

Could it be they'll add some stickers on top of the labels, like they do in the states with EU boxes ?
That would be the cheapest and fastest solution to the issue.

P.S. Bell/Boeing V-33 Rescue anyone ? :D

Edited by nhk

9 minutes ago, eric trax said:

They received information probably from Lego. The premiere being delayed and the sets will receive later.

Thank you! :))

I'm extremely disappointed that they canceled the osprey. I'm not really a technic fan, but I thought the set was well-constructed and have always appreciated military vehicles. I think lego made a very poor choice in giving in to this DFG-VK group, and that that organization itself is making a poor decision in petitioning to stop the release of this set. I doubt that anyone actually believes that the search and rescue osprey set is going to turn kids into rambo.

43 minutes ago, eric trax said:

While I'd love that you and that store were be right, I'm not keeping my hopes up. Less than a month is just too short a time to recall, redesign and repackage a few (thousands?) of sets.

A guy living in the UK told me on fb he had just phoned the nearest Lego stores and they said all stores were still ordered to not put 42113 on shelf and to return them to factories.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

4 hours ago, AVCampos said:

There's the problem of the parts being distributed by numbered bags according to the Osprey model's specific build order logic, but that can be overcome by pouring all bags together, re-distributing the parts amongst unnumbered bags according to part type/size/colour/whatever, and marketing the resulting set as "a more challenging build, for 18+".

That's how it used to work with Creator 3-in-1 sets, bags weren't numbered until 2019 and the instructions just had this illustration to pour and sort.

First instruction step would be open all numbered bags listed and pour them together?   Great way to prolong the building experience. :laugh:

5 hours ago, fosamax said:

So now, all Lego has to do is build a nice B model from 42113 parts (or a few more) , pack it without licensing and release it as a A model and everyone will be able to build the Osprey using those leaked instructions. Problem solved. 

A really good idea. To expand on it: Lego could invite 10 renowned Technic alternate designers from the community for a week long workshop to Denmark. Supervised by grohl they will work on several B-models and the best becomes the new A-model. Daily video streams of the progress are shared and everything becomes a big event for the community.

Normally sets are developed behind closed doors, but since the cat is out of the bag already in this case they might involve the community and thereby gain something out of the debacle.

57 minutes ago, Gumalca said:

A really good idea. To expand on it: Lego could invite 10 renowned Technic alternate designers from the community for a week long workshop to Denmark. Supervised by grohl they will work on several B-models and the best becomes the new A-model. Daily video streams of the progress are shared and everything becomes a big event for the community.

Normally sets are developed behind closed doors, but since the cat is out of the bag already in this case they might involve the community and thereby gain something out of the debacle.

I hate to be that guy since I still want this set to come out one way or another but such a move would mean that the narrative becomes as follows:

- Lego develops set 42113 of a transport military aircraft designated as a search and rescue craft.

- The community awaits it, though is aware that Lego has a so-called standing against such things. After all plenty of other sets are about machines of war and violence, non-licensed albeit, but still those are acceptable so this should be harmless.

- Very close to release, Lego figures out that perhaps indeed it's not right for them and cancels set 42113 citing some moral standing that the community is already not convinced of, considering the point above.

- Lego then figures out a way to re purpose set 42113 as to still give the community the possibility to build it and thus announcing to the world that they're somehow cancelling their cancellation of set 42113.

Again, don't get me wrong. I want to have this set, but at this point the story would get so convoluted and contradictory that there's no way Lego can ever come out as anything other than a company trying to cheat an own rule that doesn't even hold up as much as they claim.

I said it: rebrand the set 18+ as you already have others in this category and let people buy it and make up their own mind about whether the set is appropriate or not.

Or change the rule and trust that your customers are moral enough to understand the differences between different sets and what they represent.

Or continue to enforce it but be prepared that many will see it as nothing more than an artificial limitation you put on your business for a supposed moral standing that doesn't stand up to scrutiny when looking at the entire past and present product line.

2 hours ago, nhk said:

Could it be they'll add some stickers on top of the labels, like they do in the states with EU boxes ?
That would be the cheapest and fastest solution to the issue.

P.S. Bell/Boeing V-33 Rescue anyone ? :D

That would only work if the manual/stickersheet don't need changes. If those do, they'd have to repackage. Still, reprinting the manual, stickers, and box is bound to be cheaper for them than anything which touches the pieces.

5 minutes ago, XenoRad said:

and thus announcing to the world that they're somehow cancelling their cancellation of set 42113. 

They would just announce to be reusing bricks that they've already produced. They can drop the advertisement of the Osprey completely.

You can build a tank out of every Lego set, but no sane person would ever make an accusation out of that.

18 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

That would only work if the manual/stickersheet don't need changes. If those do, they'd have to repackage. Still, reprinting the manual, stickers, and box is bound to be cheaper for them than anything which touches the pieces. 

Neither stickers nor manual feature the aircraft name, at least for the version I've seen. The manual only ever shows the set number, thus the only named reference is actually on the box itself. They could still keep the Bell/Boeing branding, but re-badge it as a fictional rescue aircraft and we're all good. After all they have done fictional licensed vehicles before from both Volvo and BMW.

P.S. OK, my bad. The back of the manual features a very small print where the V-22 is mentioned.|
image.png.61cbc0b6ca315db8e9b1db4aafc0d067.png

Edited by nhk