10 hours ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

But what happens now? Small groups of angry people can force Lego to completely throw out years of work overnight, without any room for reasoned debate or any form of compromise? That's quite frankly ridiculous!

And cancelling this set ignores all the voices who wanted this set. Those voices didn’t get their opinion heard, just those against it. And it’s happening to many products. It’s setting a bad precedent, giving in like this. It may not happen often, but it will happen again. This is actually it happening again. A similar occurrence with 9515 Jabba’s Palace took place. 

Well, it's very dissapointing. It was the one set I wanted to purchase in this wave. But it's just a toy and TLG did such a dumb move. My funds will go to other stuff than plastic bricks.

In my opinion voting with wallet should be more convincing than making a shitstorm on the internet. 

Edited by Ctan

45 minutes ago, Ctan said:

My funds will go to other stuff than plastic bricks.

Yeah same. I'm already holding off buying Lego for the next two or so years - it just seems egregiously indulgent at the moment, especially since I've realized just how much I actually have.

I recommend people watch Jangbrick's video before they grab their pitchforks and start reeing:

This is not "cancel culture". This is TLG producing a licensed military vehicle i.e. "yes, this IS the same transport that's only ever used in the real world militarily", and stretching their own internal guidelines to the point that they were so unsure about where it sat on their own line, and all it took was a tiny ~100 person petition to make them realize they were too close.

Edited by Bartybum

34 minutes ago, Ctan said:

My funds will go to other stuff than plastic bricks.

I made this conclusion after several dumb and cheap excuses they made in the recent years (as example the gearbox issue of the 42056, or the growing phenomenon of color inconsistency - Only the best is good enough, right?). But this tops everything, so my decision is stone written now. I will not sell my inventory, because MOCing is still fun, and I will not disappear from here either, as this forum is full with creative and inspiring minds, but for sure I will not spend any cents more for such a hypocrite company with identity deficit. They should decide: profit, or values.

Gone biking.

Edited by agrof

Lego should re-brand it as a AW609 Tilt Rotor version which is a civilian version with parts in a new contents box without any reference to Boeing.

Just now, Doug72 said:

Lego should re-brand it as a AW609 Tilt Rotor version which is a civilian version with parts in a new contents box without any reference to Boeing.

That might violate the licensing agreement they have.

I'd just prefer them to do a licensed AW609 from scratch instead.

Or better yet, scratch design with no license.

8 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

They already made a decision, they will not change it again. Now they MUST stand for it finally. Any further twist in the story just harms their reputation and respect even more... and they are already really-really low to date...

Edited by agrof

This whole situation is crazy. At this point here's how I see things:

'It was autumn 2020 in a European city. It was a late cloudy afternoon and the darkness was already setting in. Not far from the tourist center a man stood at a street corner. He was a tall slender man in a black tracksuit. The suit had three white stripes. Another man approached him.

"Hey, how you doing," said the approaching man. He was wearing casual clothes and a blue cap and appeared slightly anxious.

"What's up man," said the man in the tracksuit without paying too much attention to the newcomer.

"So... you got any?" asked the new man nervously.

"Any what, man? Get out of here, I don’t know you," said the man in the tracksuit while looking left and right as if to see if anyone else was paying attention.

"Come on, you know... I heard you got the good stuff."

The man in the tracksuit gave the man with the cap a good look as if to size him up. After a few seconds pause he said: "You with TLG or DFG-VK?"

"No, I'm a straight up consumer. Honest."

"Man, I don't know. You look shady."

"No, I'm good. Honest. I haven't built anything in about a month. I need a hit. I’m kinda desperate."

The man in the tracksuit didn’t answer immediately. He looked around one more time for prying eyes and ears before responding.

"Hmm... alright. Maybe I can hook you up with one."

"Actually... do you have two?"

"Two? Man, you crazy."

"No, come on. It' not just for me. I got kids. Have a heart."

"Oh, you got kids? You got money too?"

"I do. I got it."
"Alright, man. I can hook you up with two. But it's gonna cost you. Double plus ten percent."

"Aw... that's steep."

"Hey! I'm only supposed to give one per. This stuff's the real deal. Full package and everything. It's no Chinese knockoff. And we're running low. So make up your mind and stop wasting my time."

"Okay," said the man with the blue cap and then he reached in his pocket and got out a thick cash roll. He handed over the roll to the man in the tracksuit who put it in his pocket without looking at it. Then the man in the tracksuit turned towards an alley to his rear and gave a discrete signal to another man who stood next to a parked white van (Ford Transit van). That man reached inside the van, worked as if he was packing something, then came up with a large grocery bag. He put the bag on the ground, next to the other two men and then left, returning to the van.

"Well, looks like this is your lucky day after all, man. But I gotta warn you. This is advanced level stuff. Don’t go at it like an amateur. Take your time, make it last. You'll have a blast. And keep a low profile. If they find out about it they can revoke your VIP membership. You can loose all your points,” said the man in the tracksuit.

The other man grabbed the grocery bag and left. Throughout his journey home he felt uneasy. He had this constant urge to look behind him to see if anyone was following. Finally, before entering his apartment building, he did look back but didn’t see anyone that had been following.

Quickly, he went over the stairs, entered his apartment, only slightly nodded towards his wife as he went past her right into the children’s room. As he entered he carefully closed the door behind him.

“Did, you get it, daddy?” asked one of the children eagerly.

The man put the grocery bag down on the floor and the reached inside. He grabbed what looked like a big box wrapped in white paper. Quickly he tore the paper up and placed the naked box in front of them.

“I sure did. Lego Technic set 42113, Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey,” said the man with great satisfaction. “I got you guys one and I’m keeping one for myself. Look, we need to keep a low profile on this. Assemble and play with it quietly. Make sure you don’t brag about it in school. You guys know what happened to your classmate, Andrej.

The two children didn’t say anything and lowered their heads. They knew all too well what had happened to Andrej.’

As an obvious disclaimer the above is just a fictional story and not meant to be taken seriously.

6 minutes ago, agrof said:

They already made a decision, they will not change it again. Now they MUST stand for it finally. Any further twist in the story just harms their reputation and respect even more... and they are already really-really low to date...

Their reputation is suspect altogether. As already discussed their rule is written in such a way to specifically allow them to profit from "fictional" violence, even though such sets are significantly more egregious in their depiction than this one set in particular. There's no integrity, standard or policy being protected, there's only a political defense, to avoid admitting what they've already been doing for years.

38 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I recommend people watch Jangbrick's video before they grab their pitchforks and start reeing:

I like this guy so much - his tone, his arguments, reasoning. Whether it is review, comment, interpretation, mod, it does not matter.

And this is really a very good live stream recording.

I fully agree with @Bartybum; maybe jumping into 43 min 30 sec is a good start.

Best
Thorsten

5 minutes ago, nhk said:

Their reputation is suspect altogether. As already discussed their rule is written in such a way to specifically allow them to profit from "fictional" violence, even though such sets are significantly more egregious in their depiction than this one set in particular. There's no integrity, standard or policy being protected, there's only a political defense, to avoid admitting what they've already been doing for years.

Sure it is, and I agree with your previous comments. Hence my conclusion is: not to support this attitude, and such a company.

I feel sorry for the designer but also some of you lot need to pull your heads in. What is done is done. Its lego you can re create it..

Yes I'm disappointed I worked for Boeing for fifteen years this would be a set that I would love on my shelf. And at the time of the tlg group announcing the 42113 I was surprised given the origins of the airframe.  Still I don't think two twats with manbun hairdos was the reason that tlg cancelled 42113.

Given that Star Wars is currently a significant part of their lineup to the point that it's the only current space theme, it probably helped keep the company afloat.
And if we consider conflict in general, they have been doing that since the days of Blacktron vs Space Police back in the 80s. Whether we admit it or not, it lends itself to much more interesting interpretations than houses and cars.
Right now the only one they're fooling with their 'rules' is themselves - they need to admit it and either adjust them to be less restrictive or stay out of the violence business altogether.
But while 1 set may not make or break their bank, I sincerely doubt they will be inclined to drop Star Wars, Marvel, DC or even Ninjago.

Edited by nhk

7595-katonak-orjaraton.jpg

Jang's video is indeed a good summary - as usual.

Edited by agrof

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

The AW609 looks way too different from the Osprey, you can't just rebrand 42113 into one. For example, the AW609 has a round fuselage, while the V-22 has large sponsons on either side. Also, Leonardo (formerly Agusta-Westland) is also an active weapons manufacturer, so at least part of the original concerns won't be solved

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Who wanna guess what weighs 136 MB?

A pdf instruction of a twin-rotor plane whos name is not allowed to be spelled?

So now, all Lego has to do is build a nice B model from 42113 parts (or a few more) , pack it without licensing and release it as a A model and everyone will be able to build the Osprey using those leaked instructions. Problem solved.

18 minutes ago, fosamax said:

So now, all Lego has to do is build a nice B model from 42113 parts (or a few more) , pack it without licensing and release it as a A model and everyone will be able to build the Osprey using those leaked instructions. Problem solved.

thats-beautiful-man.jpg

32 minutes ago, fosamax said:

2867806715.jpgDamn genius

Edited by Akassin

34 minutes ago, fosamax said:

Yes. Definitely yes.

There's the problem of the parts being distributed by numbered bags according to the Osprey model's specific build order logic, but that can be overcome by pouring all bags together, re-distributing the parts amongst unnumbered bags according to part type/size/colour/whatever, and marketing the resulting set as "a more challenging build, for 18+".

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Who wanna guess what weighs 136 MB?

Your sainthood ?

Nah just kidding. How did it turn out also any download link yet?