Judging from those pictures, it has at least 4 functions.

There are 2 switches on each side of the model, and one lever on-top of the rear which presumably switches it on/off.

On the right then, there seems to be one switch which raises/lowers landing gear, and another which perhaps controls the rotation of the props. On the left side of the model is what looks like the hatch open/close switch at the bottom, and what seems to be the engine pitch at the top. It looks to me like those props may change pitch, which may be that switch on the right. Perhaps just switching the model on causes them to rotate  :excited:

Edited by CrankyCraig
I can't make up my mind

It does not look like there is collective pitch adjustment on the rotors, but rather a way to make the rotors angled slightly.

Also, it looks like the flaps are connected to the moving engine nacelles. 

Overall, it does look sharp.

23 minutes ago, CrankyCraig said:

one lever on-top of the rear which presumably switches it on/off.

The level in the rear controls the rear elevator. The battery switch is the red connector on the driver's side.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

58 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

I'm not sure what's going on with the props, but I don't think it's collective. I think the functions on the back of the box are just rear hatch, landing gear, tilting the rotors, and spinning them.

Yeah, maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part to interpret the design as collective pitch. Would be awesome but I don't think it's there.

1 hour ago, Alitai said:

which Hub is it (Number)?

It does not have a number yet, it's the dumb (without Bluetooth) Technic hub. 

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The level in the rear controls the rear elevator. The battery switch is the red connector on the driver's side.

Even better! :thumbup:

It would be awesome if the dumb battery box could just be used on its own and/or with the white powered up controller!.

The bidirectional gearbox is a good improvement over 42052. It is nice to see that each function has its own lever with independent direction which is much better for playability

2 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

It would be awesome if the dumb battery box could just be used on its own and/or with the white powered up controller!.

The dumb battery box can only be used on it's own, it's like a power source with two 8869 control switches built in. The PU controller requires Bluetooth and that is missing from this battery box (actually that is the main difference between this one and the Technic hub). 

Just now, kbalage said:

The dumb battery box can only be used on it's own, it's like a power source with two 8869 control switches built in. The PU controller requires Bluetooth and that is missing from this battery box (actually that is the main difference between this one and the Technic hub). 

how about using a powered up hub instead in that case? so you can RC the model without using a smartphone and use the powered up remote
s-l640.png

Edited by SNIPE

1 minute ago, SNIPE said:

how about using a powered up hub instead in that case? so you can RC the model without using a smartphone and use the powered up remote

That was already possible since the introduction of the AAA hub & the remote. In the case of this model the dumb hub only provides power and you select the functions with the gearbox switches.

4 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

The bidirectional gearbox is a good improvement over 42052. It is nice to see that each function has its own lever with independent direction which is much better for playability

Agreed. That's partly why I was hoping the prop sticker represented more than just rotation, because that particular function doesn't need to run in reverse.

I'm deliberately not examining the prop construction too closely and keeping my fingers crossed. 

29 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

But each lever controls one output, which means the 42052 would require two motors instead of one.

So it seems that they opted for only two ports because then they could implement two independent switches

Also, I like almost everything about this set, except for the tail body - it’s so much longer than in real life

Oh wait Im getting this thread mixed up with the 42114 thread lol.

I don't know why lego didn't just design the powered up hub to optionally be used without a phone or powered up remote (like a dumb battery box).

Then they could have just used that but recolored it in LBG+DBG instead of making two control+ hubs.

Edited by SNIPE

I'm not interested in this model, but as mentioned before, I think it has a very good price for 1600+ parts and motor and battery box.

The cement mixer is just 30 Euro less for 500 parts less and no electronics and no license.

Edited by mpj

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

I don't know why lego didn't just recolor a powered up hub and just use that as a dumb battery box?

Assuming reverse/forward is done using the function selector 3L clutch rings.

Perhaps I'm missing something, ldk.

The AAA hub is designed for studded sets, it has even dimensions and no pin holes, and it does not provide you with any option for standalone operation. To use a Powered Up battery box without Bluetooth you need to be able to regulate each port individually. The Power Functions battery boxes had only a single output, but you could turn on/off and also change the polarity of that output. That is completely missing from the AAA PU hub since that is designed for remote operation, so a new solution was necessary and that's what you get here.

10 hours ago, AVCampos said:

But each lever controls one output, which means the 42052 would require two motors instead of one.

42052 has another gearbox design. This one is like 42042 - 4 lever, 4 driving rings with direction independent of each other

14 hours ago, pleegwat said:

I'm not sure what's going on with the props, but I don't think it's collective. I think the functions on the back of the box are just rear hatch, landing gear, tilting the rotors, and spinning them.

It seems to me that that structure is there to give some angle to the blades. That is done through a half pin inserted in this 3L axle and pin connector.

The structure might be a starting point for some mods (but the space is very small....), but given the fact there are no references to it in the box, i am pretty sures there are no functions here...

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

The AAA hub is designed for studded sets, it has even dimensions and no pin holes

Honestly I don't think this is important at all. There's plenty of cheap pieces that adapt between Technic and System. It's also not as if it's difficult to do even numbers with Technic.

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

so a new solution was necessary and that's what you get here.

Why not two power buttons on a AAA hub like the smart Technic hub?

Edited by Bartybum

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Honestly I don't think this is important at all. There's plenty of cheap pieces that adapt between Technic and System. It's also not as if it's difficult to do even numbers with Technic.

It is important from a design perspective. Adaptation is possible but as far as I know TLG always used a "native" solution in the Technic product line so it's unlikely they change this approach.

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Why not two power buttons on a AAA hub like the smart Technic hub?

Because you need to control the direction as well. Also with the integrated axle hole it is possible to simply put the switch outside of the model and connect it to the hub with an axle, just like in the case of this set:

image.thumb.png.9f1477174543dd91bc3303b38310a22a.png

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

Because you need to control the direction as well. Also with the integrated axle hole it is possible to simply put the switch outside of the model and connect it to the hub with an axle, just like in the case of this set: 

Yeah, this should make shifting the interface way easier than with the PF hub, which needed a sliding motion. Or, for that matter, the C+ hub which needs the button reachable.

This gearbox is a 4-switch multi functional gearbox, not a multidirectional gearbox. The change in direction still happens at the batterybox. There are two opposite arrows in the sticker near the red connector switch. 

It's like the 42052 gearbox, but instead of 2 switches for  4 functions, it has 4 switches for 4 functions, and one end of each switch is blocked. It's different from the 42042 gearbox in the sense that the 4 switches can only be switched in one direction.

13 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The change in direction still happens at the batterybox.

I don't think that's case in this set. Every switch except the one for the rotor seems to have two active positions and the battery-switch is blocked in one direction.