2 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Is this thing like a plane that can fly with a single motor in e,ergency or it always needs both motors to fly?, just curiosity.

Yes, there is a gearbox which enables one engine to power both proptors in case the other engine fails.

Edited by howitzer

25 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Yes, there is a gearbox which enables one engine to power both proptors in case the other engine fails.

Thank you, good to know but I actually was talking about if it possible fly with just one propeler. I do not know anything about planes but some can fly with one propeler having more than one, are they?.

Edited by jorgeopesi

1 hour ago, jorgeopesi said:

Thank you, good to know but I actually was talking about if it possible fly with just one propeler. I do not know anything about planes but some can fly with one propeler having more than one, are they?.

I don't think it's possible, as the rudder probably can't compensate the sideways pull if one proptor is not powered. Normal planes are aerodynamically a bit different so with them flight is usually possible even in the event of engine failure as long as at least one engine is working. Check post by steph77 a bit earlier, you'll find more in-depth information there on how the Osprey flies.

2 hours ago, howitzer said:

I don't think it's possible, as the rudder probably can't compensate the sideways pull if one proptor is not powered. Normal planes are aerodynamically a bit different so with them flight is usually possible even in the event of engine failure as long as at least one engine is working. Check post by steph77 a bit earlier, you'll find more in-depth information there on how the Osprey flies.

Thanks I will do it.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:34 PM, steph77 said:

Hi EB,

As some oy you may know, i am a passionate AFOL in terms of aircraft and specially helicopter.

I didn't ever had a closer look at how a V22-Osprey fly, and so i did.

What i found astonnished me by the overal complexity of that thing.

Here is a link to an article describing the whole flyght process:

Find the article here

The main things to remember about that all:

- The osprey in vertical flight mode is globaly the same as a big cargo helicopter, with collective, cyclic pitch. Rotation around the vertical axis is done by tilting the nacelles oppositly.

- In flight mode the collective pitch acts as a proppeler pitch, no cyclic  ...

This intricate flight control can be compared to another well knowh aircraft: the Chinook...

No need to say these flight command can not be reproduced in lego.

Through one single nacelle's articulation, you have the 3 links of the swashplate, one propulsion axle… when lego is limited to 2 axles trough one turntable.

View of the swashplate implemented in each nacelle: at 1:25:00

It can be done with 4 links rather than 3.  I did the collective and cyclic pitch for an Apache, using the 8856 helicopter rotor parts as the swash plate.

apache_swash_plate.jpg

Each pair of wishbone parts (black) has the collective and one dimension of the cyclic pitch added together with lever mechanisms.  Both are routed to the respective controls in the double cockpit.

Picture Folder  The 8-lobed ball piece can slide on the drive axle with a little persuasion, either silicone lubricant or filing the axle hole.

With heavy blades the blade-off prevention building method has to be strong.  The new blades don't have as many attachments as the 89509 educational parts but 3x peg holes perpendicular to the release direction should be enough.

I had plans to implement this for a Chinook.  It could also be done for Osprey at a larger scale than the kit.

In order bring the controls through the engine tilt mechanism, turn the motion into linear motion, sliding in and out of the engine pod, and use rotatable devices to turn it into lever motion within the engine pod.

Mark

8 hours ago, Brickthus said:

It can be done with 4 links rather than 3.  I did the collective and cyclic pitch for an Apache, using the 8856 helicopter rotor parts as the swash plate.

Each pair of wishbone parts (black) has the collective and one dimension of the cyclic pitch added together with lever mechanisms.  Both are routed to the respective controls in the double cockpit.

Picture Folder  The 8-lobed ball piece can slide on the drive axle with a little persuasion, either silicone lubricant or filing the axle hole.

With heavy blades the blade-off prevention building method has to be strong.  The new blades don't have as many attachments as the 89509 educational parts but 3x peg holes perpendicular to the release direction should be enough.

I had plans to implement this for a Chinook.  It could also be done for Osprey at a larger scale than the kit.

In order bring the controls through the engine tilt mechanism, turn the motion into linear motion, sliding in and out of the engine pod, and use rotatable devices to turn it into lever motion within the engine pod.

Mark

Hey Mark, I think what Steph77 is referring to is the fact that the V22 not only has collective and cyclic, but it also tilts the rotor hubs as well.   From what I can tell, that is how yaw in vertical flight mode is achieved.  What I haven't figured out is if that is mechanically configured to do so, or if the tilt is just a result of the blades on one side of the head producing more lift than the blades on the other side.  From the little bit I've read, this is achieved mechanically. 

I don't know how that can be achieved with LEGO, but it's a fun thought experiment.  I spent a good bit of time at work today sketching and thinking about how that might be achieved with LEGO. :innocent: :laugh:  I didn't get anywhere.  

I agree though, I think push rods may be a good solution for bringing controls through the tilt mechanism.

It sounds like a fun project, and I might have to tinker with the LEGO a bit to see if I can somehow come up with a solution.  It's quite fascinating. 

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Better picture appeared on Promobricks.

lego-katalog-2hy2020-technic_6.jpg

Edited by agrof
replaced picture, link got broken

Brilliant model! Is on my wish list! :classic:

Edited by Aris

Does anyone know why they didn't just use an LBG curved panel in between the two wedge ones on top of the fuselage?

Pitch control manualy and indépendant for each rotor. Sweet!

I used a similar système Somme years ago.

Edited by steph77

On 6/12/2020 at 7:44 PM, agrof said:

Better picture appeared on Promobricks.

The link 404's

10 minutes ago, RussianGuy said:

It is not, just open it in new session

i did. it 404's on pc

edit: it worked on android :S

Edited by SNIPE

On 6/12/2020 at 8:44 PM, agrof said:

Better picture appeared on Promobricks

according to this the set has NOT the passive batteryholder but the technic hub.
Jus what I see on the picture

And offcourse are there the panels from the Sian that now are rotorblades...

26 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

according to this the set has NOT the passive batteryholder but the technic hub.
Jus what I see on the picture

If you look at it more carefully, you'll see that the included hub has only two ports, therefore indicating the "dumb" battery box.

This set seems to be pretty nice. There seems to be somthign going on with the blade angle of the propellors. If this is really functional, that would be quite a nice addition. There seem to be 4 functions in the gearbox (I think I count 4 changeover catches, 2 on each side). Also, the set doesn't seem to be overly large, it seems somewhat smaller than 42025 which I think is good. Also, I'm glad it's not all dark-gray and has some light-gray parts as well.

We'll see how much of a difference PUp makes against PF for "simple motorization" such as this.

The structure behind the proptors make me think there could be some sort of collective pitch, if that's true this will easily be the best set of 2020, and the only one I'm considering to buy even without a huge discount.

So according to promobricks this set has 1636 pieces. You can get a C+ L motor ($40), and a battery box which isn't for sale by itself yet, but I would imagine at least $10, although Lego will probably charge $25 to buy it individually. Not sure what the actual US price is but the euro to USD conversion is roughly $145, so subtracting the motor and battery box, you get a 1600+ piece set for under $100, easily the best price/part count set released this year at under 6 cents per part. I haven't been really all that interested in this model until just now, and I'm really starting to like it. Seems to have a lot of really interesting functions, plus the dumb battery box with two outputs and an L motor. This has moved up to the top of my buy list.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

The structure behind the proptors make me think there could be some sort of collective pitch, if that's true this will easily be the best set of 2020, and the only one I'm considering to buy even without a huge discount.

I'm not sure what's going on with the props, but I don't think it's collective. I think the functions on the back of the box are just rear hatch, landing gear, tilting the rotors, and spinning them.