discussion about whether it is or isnt a military vehicle aside, i think this looks really cool. I just hope it doesnt require a smartphone app to run. (im looking for a bigish complex technic set to build together with my 9 year old kid, she doesnt, and wont in the near future, own a smartphone.)

3 hours ago, Samolot said:

In Poland, we have the same color scheme for sea rescue helicopters.

The color scheme also is very similar to this AW609. But I can find no V-22 with a color scheme anywhere close to what we're getting in this set. And absolutely no reference to a civilian V-22 variant anywhere.

Today_TiltRotor_Flash_SEP09.jpg

152901e4-5488-11e4-bac2-00144feab7de?fit

It's a rescue aircraft, people! If it's rescue, then it's totally appropriate. Doesnt matter what and where and when it does the rescuing.

6 minutes ago, mkbryant said:

The color scheme also is very similar to this AW609. But I can find no V-22 with a color scheme anywhere close to what we're getting in this set. And absolutely no reference to a civilian V-22 variant anywhere.

Maybe something will pop-up here

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thesnakepit/new-scheme-for-vs-22-osprey-graeme-ahead-of-his-ti-t5000.html

Edited by I_Igor

Oooo, I like that yellow and red color scheme. Might have to try my hand at a alt build using all the construction yellow pieces I already have.

4 hours ago, mkbryant said:

Oooo, I like that yellow and red color scheme. Might have to try my hand at a alt build using all the construction yellow pieces I already have.

Or to make it from 2 9396 sets (it would end up very very big)

5 hours ago, Surffikoira said:

:laugh_hard: Maybe an Abrams in racing livery next?

Whatever it takes to get it past the board of approval.

There must surely be, in some far flung corner of the world, an excentric demolition company owner using tanks. :excited:

3 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Yea, sometimes I wish folks would curb their approval/disapproval over color schemes. They are so subjective.  So what if someone does not like a color scheme.  Folks express such as though it is law. 

I admittedly am one of the odd ones, so I don't see the point.  I don't like the Sian's color, but would seriously consider it if it was the Defender's color.  I love military green that much.  But the majority seems to like the lime green.  :shrug_confused:

Most are disapproving of the Osprey's color, but I absolutely love it.

Did you feign annoyance at people expressing opinions on the colour as a clever segue to introducing your own opinions on the subject? :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

People going back and forth for pages and pages as to which color is "best" when color is nothing but personal taste.  You can't litigate personal taste.  You can tally responses for some objective idea or majority preference, but that still does nothing to dilute the preferences of the minority.  IMO it really is a bit pointless.  That is all.  Nothing more.  I made the comment hoping that folks might stay connected to the actual technical and other aspects of this model rather than the thread disintegrating into pages and pages on nothing but color preference. 

I would counter that the colour of the set is empirical, therefore making it more worthy of discussion than many elements that are, at this stage, speculative :wink:

I won't though, because to construct such an argument would be disingenuous. I agree with your sentiment; discussions based on the colour really aren't greatly interesting.

...having said that, I'm still not convinced about the light grey at the base :poke:

On 6/2/2020 at 2:07 PM, CrankyCraig said:

Did you feign annoyance at people expressing opinions on the colour as a clever segue to introducing your own opinions on the subject? :shrug_oh_well:

Lol.... I hope not.  I don't think that would be very clever of me at all.  At the end of the day, it is a discussion about Lego set color, not like politics or debating the ethics of mask-wearing during a pandemic :laugh:  No reason to shy away from expressing an opinion on THAT topic.....

Hi EB,

As some oy you may know, i am a passionate AFOL in terms of aircraft and specially helicopter.

I didn't ever had a closer look at how a V22-Osprey fly, and so i did.

What i found astonnished me by the overal complexity of that thing.

Here is a link to an article describing the whole flyght process:

Find the article here

The main things to remember about that all:

- The osprey in vertical flight mode is globaly the same as a big cargo helicopter, with collective, cyclic pitch. Rotation around the vertical axis is done by tilting the nacelles oppositly.

- In flight mode the collective pitch acts as a proppeler pitch, no cyclic  ...

This intricate flight control can be compared to another well knowh aircraft: the Chinook...

No need to say these flight command can not be reproduced in lego.

Through one single nacelle's articulation, you have the 3 links of the swashplate, one propulsion axle… when lego is limited to 2 axles trough one turntable.

View of the swashplate implemented in each nacelle: at 1:25:00

So, good reading, and as final note, i just Wonder wich pilot is stupid enough to take place in such machine. Definaly the most complex, unstable and Dangerous aircraft ever built...

I was hoping to see the set be able to fold its wings like this.

3707107479_6061d5f526_z.jpg

But it doesnt look like it can do so in the leaked photo. 

Just now, Bartybum said:

I think it might be doable with some modifications, although the rotors will need to be folded manually

Was just about to write the same, although you can see at least one liftarm is supporting the wing and connecting it to the hull. The wings itself maybe could be stiffened by using technic bricks instead of liftarms as the wings only have a thickness of 2 studs... 

7 minutes ago, Jundis said:

although you can see at least one liftarm is supporting the wing and connecting it to the hull.

Yeah, it'd need to be removed unfortunately. There might be a way to stiffen it from above though, so who knows really

1 hour ago, steph77 said:

As some oy you may know, i am a passionate AFOL in terms of aircraft and specially helicopter.

I didn't ever had a closer look at how a V22-Osprey fly, and so i did.

What i found astonnished me by the overal complexity of that thing.

I've been a huge fan of your helicopter MOC's for some time (I've had 2 partially built for a while awaiting pieces) and can say that if anyone is able to replicate that complexity it's you. If you say you'll be working on MOD's for this, that'll elevate to an instant buy for me. :excited:

Odds are the stock model uses studless beams only in the wing - studded beams would give a stronger structure which then may enable removing the extra support.

This set looks pretty promising. I actually kinda like the color scheme - all gray would've been pretty bland. It also looks bigger than any Lego Technic aircraft so far, judging by the side view.

If this set consists of 4 functions driven by a single motor, I'm wondering if it'll be a distribution gearbox where you have to turn the switch on the battery box or a directional one (e.g. like on the 42054). I'm guessing the latter since the Control+ hub/battery box doesn't seem to have an on-off-on switch, just a button. It also seems like it uses the regular C+ hub rather than a "dumb" battery box since the C+ hub icon to the right of the model seems to have 4 ports. Also I'm not sure where the control levers for the functions are (assuming it has some sort of a gearbox) - maybe that little beam between the 64391 and 24119 panels to the side?

All in all, this set seems to have got a lot. Waiting to see clearer images and review videos come out in the following weeks/months.

You can have more than 2 drives through a turntable, in applications like this. Instead of rotation you can use rods that move in and out easily allowing for 3 (or more) inputs as the blades have limited movement so don't require an unlimited movement or you can use hydraulics, both for added realism and size as the rod method requires a fair amount of length past the turntable to take drive off of although the bulk of the movement can be inside of the Pilon.

The main problem is the size of the swatch plate being far to big as I think the only piece suitable is a large turntable. 

Its also important to recognise while the osprey is a very complex airframe is has among the best survivability rates of any helicopter.

I find myself liking this set more and more. I am very curious about the internals and the functions.

Is this thing like a plane that can fly with a single motor in e,ergency or it always needs both motors to fly?, just curiosity.

Am i seeing things, or are the wings retractable?

It looks like a hinge of some sorts.

Really starting to like this set. Can replace the 42025. (That was a great build, parts pack)

On another page of the catalog, there is a 2in1 logo displayed. I guess that it confirms that there is no B model for the Osprey. :hmpf_bad:

Just now, Akbalder said:

On another page of the catalog, there is a 2in1 logo displayed. I guess that it confirms that there is no B model for the Osprey. :hmpf_bad:

Indeed. The 42092 helicopter has that logo. Let's spend a moment to mourn the unborn (B models). :cry_sad: