It's a nice set I'm thinking of getting this in a good discount... 

I've just Noticed that the picture in first post by Mr Ngoc is the same picture as the catalogue maybe He knows it after all ??

Pretty neat set, and I'm actually surprised to see Lego offer a V-22.  I'm not totally sold on the color scheme, but I do think mixing LBG and DBG on the body is interesting.

As far as functions go, I'd be fairly certain of the following:

-Retractable landing gear
-Opening rear hatch
-Tilting rotors (possibly in conjunction with moving flaps)
-Powered rotors
-Center mounted hoist in the floor (it's a rescue aircraft after all)

I don't see any other functions.  Some sort of collective control would be awesome, but I don't see that.  I also don't think the wing folds (swivels).  The wing looks to have some dihedral (cool!), and there also appears to be some diagonal bracing between the fuselage and wing.  Both would make a swiveling mechanism very difficult.  I'm happy to be wrong though.

8 hours ago, CrankyCraig said:
I can appreciate that an all grey model may have been a bit plain (no pun intended) but I can't help but feel the use of different colours in this one is a bit odd - perhaps it'll become clearer with different pictures. Still, I really like it.

I think an all grey scheme would've been considered too militaristic considering the Osprey's roots. It's a bit like the orange caps on the barrels of toy/airsoft guns :tongue:

To be honest now I don't see anything special in this set. Even the color scheme doesn't appeal to me.

That said I'm still hoping it has some secret sauce inside.

This set could have a one killing feature, but I don't believe Lego designers did it.

This V-22 looks good, it reminds me of the excellent 9396 Rescue helicopter. I don't expect any function surprises beside the obvious as @dhc6twinotter said. I hope that the addition of the PU components will not push the price up unnecessarily. It will be an unwieldy set to display since it will not fit on your standard shelf of windowsill.

A side note: I find it fascinating to see that TLG has more and more difficulty to maintain their “no military machinery rule” even in the Technic range. As far as I know, there has never been a Search And Rescue (SAR) version of a V-22 in real life. Don’t misunderstand me, I like the fact they made all kinds of airplanes, like the 42066, but making a set of military vehicle, putting on a fancy color and then calling it a Race or Rescue vehicle is a bit of a "conscience silencing move", it still is a military vehicle in my eyes.

Edited by Cumulonimbus
typo

1 hour ago, Surffikoira said:

I think an all grey scheme would've been considered too militaristic considering the Osprey's roots. It's a bit like the orange caps on the barrels of toy/airsoft guns :tongue:

That's an interesting comparison :)

I can see how the patches of orange persuade you away from militaristic associations, but the placement seems a bit arbitrary. 

1 hour ago, Surffikoira said:

Yes exactly. It's like a military Osprey struck a beach full of sun worshippers. 

2 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Can we see attached rubber bands here?:

6wP6wxW.jpg

Could be part of the folding mechanism 

Looks more like 4 x grey half bush to me. :shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, CrankyCraig said:

Yes exactly. It's like a military Osprey struck a beach full of sun worshippers. 

:laugh_hard: Maybe an Abrams in racing livery next?

2 hours ago, CrankyCraig said:

Looks more like 4 x grey half bush to me. :shrug_oh_well:

Yes, four half bushes. But for me it seems, that each of them holds a black rubber band. 

10 minutes ago, Frequenzberater said:

Yes, four half bushes. But for me it seems, that each of them holds a black rubber band. 

Yeah, the grooves seems too dark to not be holding rubber bands

26 minutes ago, Samolot said:

640x360.jpg

In Poland, we have the same color scheme for sea rescue helicopters.

Yea, sometimes I wish folks would curb their approval/disapproval over color schemes. They are so subjective.  So what if someone does not like a color scheme.  Folks express such as though it is law. 

I admittedly am one of the odd ones, so I don't see the point.  I don't like the Sian's color, but would seriously consider it if it was the Defender's color.  I love military green that much.  But the majority seems to like the lime green.  :shrug_confused:

Most are disapproving of the Osprey's color, but I absolutely love it.  Great find here... as it appears the colors to exist in real life for some emergency rescue vehicles.  Perhaps not an Osprey per se, but at least for something.....

2 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Yea, sometimes I wish folks would curb their approval/disapproval over color schemes. They are so subjective.  So what if someone does not like a color scheme.  Folks express such as though it is law.

Could you show me a comment that acts like it’s the law?

35 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Could you show me a comment that acts like it’s the law?

Lol.... @Bartybum I love your comments.  So many seem acrimonious.  In your own words, recently posted on another thread... man, you gotta chill!  :wink:

As for "showing" you a comment.... no, I don't think I will.  If you need "proof"  feel free to look at the Sian thread again.  There are literally pages and pages of nothing but folks expressing their agreement or disagreement on color choice for the model.  People going back and forth for pages and pages as to which color is "best" when color is nothing but personal taste.  You can't litigate personal taste.  You can tally responses for some objective idea or majority preference, but that still does nothing to dilute the preferences of the minority.  IMO it really is a bit pointless.  That is all.  Nothing more.  I made the comment hoping that folks might stay connected to the actual technical and other aspects of this model rather than the thread disintegrating into pages and pages on nothing but color preference. 

To those who find the "Rescue" designation odd/funny/inappropriate, technically the Osprey was designed for troops rescue. From the page about the Osprey on Wikipedia:

The failure of the Iran hostage rescue mission in 1980 demonstrated to the United States military a need[6][7] for "a new type of aircraft, that could not only take off and land vertically but also could carry combat troops, and do so at speed."[8] The U.S. Department of Defense began the Joint-service Vertical take-off/landing Experimental (JVX) aircraft program in 1981, under U.S. Army leadership.[9]

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

I admittedly am one of the odd ones, so I don't see the point.  I don't like the Sian's color, but would seriously consider it if it was the Defender's color.  I love military green that much.  But the majority seems to like the lime green.  :shrug_confused:

Most are disapproving of the Osprey's color, but I absolutely love it.  Great find here... as it appears the colors to exist in real life for some emergency rescue vehicles.  Perhaps not an Osprey per se, but at least for something.....

5 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

To those who find the "Rescue" designation odd/funny/inappropriate, technically the Osprey was designed for troops rescue. From the page about the Osprey on Wikipedia:

I think the point at least some people were discussing is that at the end of the day the Osprey (not just a generic tilt rotor) is still a military vehicle regardless of the color or it's role on the battlefield. Troop rescue is still a military operation after all.

I personally don't mind it (or the color scheme) but it is a bit odd considering the Lego group's stance on such things. Maybe modern military vehicles are fine as long as they don't have any weapons and can be imagined in a civilian role (unlike, say, tanks).

45 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Lol.... @Bartybum I love your comments.  So many seem acrimonious.  In your own words, recently posted on another thread... man, you gotta chill!  :wink:

As for "showing" you a comment.... no, I don't think I will.  If you need "proof"  feel free to look at the Sian thread again.  There are literally pages and pages of nothing but folks expressing their agreement or disagreement on color choice for the model.  People going back and forth for pages and pages as to which color is "best" when color is nothing but personal taste.  You can't litigate personal taste.  You can tally responses for some objective idea or majority preference, but that still does nothing to dilute the preferences of the minority.  IMO it really is a bit pointless.  That is all.  Nothing more.  I made the comment hoping that folks might stay connected to the actual technical and other aspects of this model rather than the thread disintegrating into pages and pages on nothing but color preference.

Lol it was a genuine question. I asked because this

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

So what if someone does not like a color scheme.  Folks express such as though it is law.

comment implies that people have literally been chastising each other over their preferences in colour. Personally I haven't seen any of that. I do see people being vocal about their colour preferences, but they're never hostile towards each other about it.

5 minutes ago, Surffikoira said:

it is a bit odd considering the Lego group's stance on such things.

I find it odd too, but I've never really been sold on Lego's kiddie brand image, so I welcome any departure from it

4 minutes ago, Surffikoira said:

I think the point at least some people were discussing is that at the end of the day the Osprey (not just a generic tilt rotor) is still a military vehicle regardless of the color or it's role on the battlefield. Troop rescue is still a military operation after all.

I agree.  Although i do think the point raised by @Ngoc Nguyen is interesting, in the public's eye the Osprey is military.  And the public will not make the distinction... .or care about it. 

I think TLG's technique is generally referred to as "repurposing." And if they want to, surely one day they'll be able to repurpose a tank into some tracked offroad apparatus.

2 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think TLG's technique is generally referred to as "repurposing." And if they want to, surely one day they'll be able to repurpose a tank into some tracked offroad apparatus.

I suppose you could install a water cannon inside the barrel for fighting forest fires and get rescuin'. Actually pretty pumped about the idea now :excited::laugh_hard:

Just now, Surffikoira said:

I suppose you could install a water cannon inside the barrel for fighting forest fires and get rescuin'. Actually pretty pumped about the idea now :excited::laugh_hard:

Yes!!! Offroad Tracked Fire Engine!!!

15 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Lol it was a genuine question. I asked because this

comment implies that people have literally been chastising each other over their preferences in colour. Personally I haven't seen any of that. I do see people being vocal about their colour preferences, but they're never hostile towards each other about it.

PM'd.  Don't want to detract any more to this thread. 

7 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:
9 minutes ago, Surffikoira said:

Yes!!! Offroad Tracked Fire Engine!!!

Why not?! :excited: