Ngoc Nguyen

42115 - Lamborghini Sian FKP 37

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I just hope for useful new pieces for my MOCs :classic:

:thumbup:  My thoughts exactly.  I will never understand why a bunch of grown men, many of which have advanced engineering degrees or degrees in related fields, sit around and complain the shortcomings of toys that are build for children, teenagers at best.  A product clearly built for the masses.  It really is quite interesting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just hoping for a nice box and cool looking model like the current 2 ultimate cars.

Seasider, CEng MIMechE ( @nerdsforprez as you mentioned it )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

:thumbup:  My thoughts exactly.  I will never understand why a bunch of grown men, many of which have advanced engineering degrees or degrees in related fields, sit around and complain the shortcomings of toys that are build for children, teenagers at best.  A product clearly built for the masses.  It really is quite interesting.   

I think calling these UCS level set "for children, teenagers at best" a bit inaccurate. Sure, Lego is a toy, Technic isnt any different at that, but a €400 set isnt exactly kids stuff, even Lego themselves advise it for 16+. And while there will off course be plenty of kids lucky enough to unwrap a Chiron on their birthday, i'd be willing to bet the majority of Chiron went to 20+ buys, either AFOLs like us, or car guys which got dragged in by the porsche/bugatti branding, or just adults with a case of the nostalgias.

If we're talking the sub €200 sets, sure, holding 42096 to AFOL standards is kinda missing the point, its a cool racercar with some technic features, which would blow the socks off of most kids lucky enough to get one. We arent the target market. The same also kind of goes for the UCS cars though, 42056 was a big hit with non AFOL porsche fans, and those dont care about gearbox order, they are amazed to have moving gears and piston in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, a 370€ "Toy" isn't for Kids. No way I could have been able to afford that when I was like 14yo. But in the Bugatti they put in useless pins to prevent you from inserting the differential the wrong way around.  Even my 14yo self would have thought:" Do you think I am retarded, LEGO?!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Yeah, a 370€ "Toy" isn't for Kids. No way I could have been able to afford that when I was like 14yo. But in the Bugatti they put in useless pins to prevent you from inserting the differential the wrong way around.  Even my 14yo self would have thought:" Do you think I am retarded, LEGO?!"

a 14 year old who has been building technic for years wont screw that up (because he screwed it up in an earlier, easier to dismantle/fix build), your non-AFOL carguy might screw it up though

And even without that set-specific target audience, lego builds/instructions have been dumbed down since we were young anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vectormatic said:

your non-AFOL carguy might screw it up though

And even without that set-specific target audience, lego builds/instructions have been dumbed down since we were young anyway

A car guy should be able to realise where he ducked up and correct it too :laugh:

I dont like them preventing mistakes like this, because it keeps you from learning from your mistakes too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gray Gear said:

I dont like them preventing mistakes like this

It saves cost. Every schoopid mistakes on the builder's part can translate into additional workload for customer service and potential expenses for replacement parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

a 14 year old who has been building technic for years wont screw that up (because he screwed it up in an earlier, easier to dismantle/fix build), your non-AFOL carguy might screw it up though

And even without that set-specific target audience, lego builds/instructions have been dumbed down since we were young anyway

The dumbing down is huge. Instructions for 8868, a model packed with complex functions had a grand total of 32 steps. 42096, a model with only a couple of very simple functions had ... 504 steps. What changed during the 27 years in between?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

A car guy should be able to realise where he ducked up and correct it too :laugh:

I dont like them preventing mistakes like this, because it keeps you from learning from your mistakes too.

Depends, im a car guy and know my way around the tech inside (partially thanks to lego technic), but there are plenty of guys who just care about a cool looking porsche, without knowing exactly how it all works.

 

And even if you know how to fix things, in some builds making a mistake can be quite costly. While building the bugatti, i wanted to test the driveline after the gearbox, engine and axles were connected (the earliest point at which you can really test anything), and it looked like something was wrong. Due to the way the car is built, at that point correcting a mistake would mean taking apart 4 hours of work. Luckily it turns out i was testing it wrong (putting L motor power through the white slip gear), but if i'd put in the rear diff the wrong way around, resulting in front and back wheels turning opposite ways, i would have been absolutely pissed at having to take all of that apart again. On a simple build like 42075, a reversed diff would have no effect, and correcting it would take less then a minute anyway, not so on these UCS builds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, howitzer said:

What changed during the 27 years in between?

The mindset of the company.

Back they were like: "If you dont get it, I guess LEGO Technic isn't for you"

Now even a 9yo has to be able to build the 370€ Flagship, because guess what, it'll make more $

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

The mindset of the company.

Back they were like: "If you dont get it, I guess LEGO Technic isn't for you"

Now even a 9yo has to be able to build the 370€ Flagship, because guess what, it'll make more $

It's not about age. I built 8880 at the age of 9. Then I built it 10 times again. At the 11th time, I screwed up the differentials and had to take the whole thing apart.
So it's not about being retarted, stupid or anything. It's not that hard to screw it up, especially if you want to build for fun and don't want to stress on it.

What chaned in 27 years? Pretty much everything. The whole phylosophy behind the Technic, as if it was a totally separate brand from Lego System.
And man, this old vs new instruction discussion is getting sooooo old...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lipko said:

It's not about age. I built 8880 at the age of 9. Then I built it 10 times again. At the 11th time, I screwed up the differentials and had to take the whole thing apart.
So it's not about being retarted, stupid or anything. It's not that hard to screw it up, especially if you want to build for fun and don't want to stress on it.

What chaned in 27 years? Pretty much everything. The whole phylosophy behind the Technic, as if it was a totally separate brand from Lego System.
And man, this old vs new instruction discussion is getting sooooo old...

For this BI issue I have one thing to say: try everybody challenging themselves by skipping some pages in the book:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

Yeah, a 370€ "Toy" isn't for Kids. No way I could have been able to afford that when I was like 14yo.

Neither you nor me, but nowadays I frequently see kids with iPhones (which cost a lot more than 370€).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kbalage said:

@Mizyaz lucky you, so you already saw the real thing? :innocent:

Well both bugatti, smaller porsche, rover had 30+ stickers. Logos will sure be stickers. Possibly the lights even. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 7:57 PM, kbalage said:

This was the Sian's teaser on the Frankfurt Motor show:

And this is a new teaser by them for the LEGO car:

Based on this my bet is on a red Sian :) 

When they say "light up your emotions" could that mean that it will come with a lights system? Or am I reading too much into it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frequenzberater said:

A new, and flexible light system, controlable by the control+ hub would be great :thumbup:

And what will TLG say to fans?

dMin28b.jpg

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MarkyMark42 I think you’re just reading too much into the phrase. We’re not literally “rebuilding the world” with Lego at the moment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A V12 with the proper engine blocks will take up a whopping length of 14 studs.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

A V12 with the proper engine blocks will take up a whopping length of 14 studs.

Perhaps getting new engine parts could be (in addition to a unique wheel) the uplift in this model? If they could thin an engine block even by half a stud it would make large engines more compact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Perhaps getting new engine parts could be (in addition to a unique wheel) the uplift in this model? If they could thin an engine block even by half a stud it would make large engines more compact.

I suspect that as well. Maybe the new engine block will come in the shape of 3 studs for 2 cylinder holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I suspect that as well. Maybe the new engine block will come in the shape of 3 studs for 2 cylinder holes.

Problem is they’ll have to make new crankshaft pieces too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Seasider said:

If they could thin an engine block even by half a stud it would make large engines more compact.

Problem would be, that the rod and the piston would be 0.75L, therefor a new crankshaft would be needed...

51 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

A V12 with the proper engine blocks will take up a whopping length of 14 studs

Why whopping? The tire from the 42056 Porsche is 10 studs in diameter, according to this picture of a stripped aventador, it seems perfectly fine to fit in a 14 studs engine.

2012-lamborghini-aventador-chassis-rear-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Seasider said:

Problem is they’ll have to make new crankshaft pieces too

Or they can do it like

0.5L offset + 1L cranks + 1L cranks + 0.5L offset

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.