Seems it's mostly the pin with pinholes - different plastic I guess. My guess is much worse in some lights and not so noticeable in others - just like the CLAAS.

This looks like one of my MOCs where I had to combine LEGO and a few different brand bricks, and the shades are slightly different. Thats something I can accept for my MOCs, but pretty sad for a official set.

Even worse then, knowing they have this problem so visible and not correcting this for the most expensive set in the line?

Only the best is good enough, right?

It might not be something within LEGO’s control. Either way it looks bad...

3 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Parts come from different production lines and are made with varying materials. It's probably impossible to make them all look the same.

Didn't used to be impossible when they used a different method to colour the parts. AFAIK It used to be that all the plastic pellets were coloured. Now most of them are clear with just a small amount of coloured pellets. Someone at TLG probably hates me for saying that but they only have their selves to blame. 

1 hour ago, Valkyx said:

Im a bit terrified...

e64f33ee5e7ed.jpg

Sooooo many shades of lime green....

Send it back. This is a no-go and pure shame in such a price tag. Maybe later produced sets for stores will do better

2 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Send it back. This is a no-go and pure shame in such a price tag. Maybe later produced sets for stores will do better

This is pic from Sariels review. If my copy will have the same shading issue ill contact Lego for sure. Its their flagship set, there should be no such problems.

Edited by Valkyx

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I dont have the Chiron with me so I can't check. Does the Chiron have this problem?

I had few pices in a bit different shade of light blue but it was not that visible. And it was probably caused that i had to order some more bricks so they had different production time. 

2 minutes ago, Valkyx said:

Its their flagship set, there should be no such problems.

Actually, the 42114 Volvo hauler is this year's flagship set.

3 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Actually, the 42114 Volvo hauler is this year's flagship set.

I would say UCS ones are flagship ones :)

Just now, Valkyx said:

I would say UCS ones are flagship ones :)

I'd say the UCS thing is more of a subtheme. 42114 is the actual flagship.

The shading issue appears on ALL official images and vidoes for now. Maybe it is fixed in later productions.

Sending all pins with pinhole and axle with pinhole in the correct color to all their customers to replace them would be fun for TLG

17 minutes ago, Valkyx said:

This is pic from Sariels review. If my copy will have the same shading issue ill contact Lego for sure. Its their flagship set, there should be no such problems.

You can be sure it'll have the same issue, the difference is consistent and it depends on the part type. Same parts have the same shade, just not all parts have the same shade :laugh:

14 minutes ago, kbalage said:

You can be sure it'll have the same issue, the difference is consistent and it depends on the part type. Same parts have the same shade, just not all parts have the same shade :laugh:

So you'd think. But the red Bohrok eyes in 8283 (in my copy at least) are two different shades of red - two darker, two lighter. That was 2006 though - I haven't looked too closely at more recent sets.

4 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

So you'd think. But the red Bohrok eyes in 8283 (in my copy at least) are two different shades of red - two darker, two lighter. That was 2006 though - I haven't looked too closely at more recent sets.

I've had similar color difference in 3x7 bend liftarms in blue in that small 1st wave pullback offroader. Seems TLG has multiple production lines making the same parts in same color, but using different batches of pellets. Then I guess all same parts from all lines are thrown on 1 pile and sets sorted out from those single piles or something like that.

Ah well, I can live with it. Let it stand on a shelf for a month and you won't recognize the color from sun discoloration anyway... If I wanted pure colors I would probably not be in the LEGO hobby but doing Tamiya models with my airbrush...

5 minutes ago, Fuzzock said:

Yup, I'm sold..

*Repeatedly refreshes the Lego Store*

Ian...

I'm sorry, but in that comment "Ian..." reads like the answer to some kind of transcendent question, the aformentioned answer to which is only given after repeatedly refreshing the Lego Store. :laugh:

On 5/28/2020 at 4:41 PM, Zerobricks said:

Could anyone be kind enough to upload the partlist?

1280x713.jpg

1280x769.jpg

1280x647.jpg

1280x778.jpg

2 hours ago, Valkyx said:

Im a bit terrified...

e64f33ee5e7ed.jpg

Sooooo many shades of lime green....

It is bad... Can't tell it is a few hundreds dollars FLAGSHIP model.
I understand those parts are made from the various production line and maybe with different materials as well.
But it is someone's job to keep all those color in accordance as possible. 

Just hope the one TLG send to Sariel for review is some kind of Pre-production rushing one so the colors are a bit rough...

One thing about the different shades of lime green is you're seeing this through a camera which all process colour differently unless it's raw footage then it's up to the colourist of the video, then you're looking at the video or picture on a screen which also all display colour a bit differently (compression also can change it) unless you spent thousands on a cinema calibrated display. All I'm saying is maybe it's not as noticeable in person.

44 minutes ago, jep_builder said:

One thing about the different shades of lime green is you're seeing this through a camera which all process colour differently unless it's raw footage then it's up to the colourist of the video, then you're looking at the video or picture on a screen which also all display colour a bit differently (compression also can change it) unless you spent thousands on a cinema calibrated display. All I'm saying is maybe it's not as noticeable in person.

Well, yes you are right and yes the Video is obviously not color accurate (and so is my display..), but also: Yes, you will see it in person. Depending on the light source not everywhere with the same intensitity, but I'm sure it will be always visible.

3 hours ago, allanp said:

Didn't used to be impossible when they used a different method to colour the parts. AFAIK It used to be that all the plastic pellets were coloured. Now most of them are clear with just a small amount of coloured pellets. Someone at TLG probably hates me for saying that but they only have their selves to blame. 

If they are indeed using the injecting moulding machines to mix colored and non colored granulates that is just asking for problems with color consistency.

The typical way to make colored plastic parts goes in at least two steps. In the first step clear granules are fed into a twin screw extruder together with the pigment powder at a very well controlled rate and then melted and extremely well mixed and formed into new granules. This is called a master batch in the industry. This is also the most difficult step as the dispersion of the pigment powder has to be absolutely perfect or you'll get color inconsistencies. The dispersion of this pigment powder is so difficult because it has very different properties from the molten plastic and therefore mixing it won't just happen, you need to really force that process.

Usually in a second step the master batch gets fed into a second twin screw extruder together with more clear granules and is re-melted, mixed and then formed into a new granulate again. For this process a much simpler extruder screw setup can be used as you don't need to disperse pigment powder but just mix two plastics that have nearly identical properties. In principle this step can be performed online with the process of forming your final product so you can prevent having to process the plastic a third time.

The issue with extruder screws in most injecting moulding machines is that those are usually single screw types, designed to just melt the plastic, not to efficiently mix two plastics. So, unless you take some extra precautions in the injecting moulding process (such as using double screw types with an added mixing section) there is a high risk that you'll get color inconsistencies. As you might be able to guess, a double screw extruder is quite a bit more expensive than a single screw extruder.