7 minutes ago, LvdH said:

18+ doesn’t mean nobody under the age of 18 will build it. I see it all the time: adults well over 18 who struggle to get the Land Rover gearbox working, which is very simple compared to this one. Besides, at the end, you hardly see any of the colour coding. So does it really matter...? 

Yes it matters. As the builder you can see it while you are building it which makes me feel like "a child should be playing with this, not me", not good when the kit cost £350, and now the Sian has a viewing window to see the gearbox, the excuse "you can't see it when it's finished" has become even weaker. There are also non Technic builders (such as Jang bricks) who are somewhat turned off of the whole Technic theme because of all the blue pins clearly visible when the set is complete. So there are a few good reasons to get rid of all this colour coding, and the only reason to keep it is to aid building, but when people are still making mistakes and when this is supposed to be a premium £350 set, honestly colour coding really just looks like cost saving now.

4 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Are you saying such a model can't be built? No, TLG hasn't produced such a set, but I'm not seeing why it couldn't be made if they so chose.

This is the first argument that actually has a point, but I believe the right combination of Technic and System pieces would accomplish better styling while not being too heavy. I'm not saying you can't use Technic panels, but why limit the construction to them?

Of course new, stiffer springs for a suspension that can handle the weight can also be made (and have been, but they are rare and expensive in the second hand market, so a new such a spring would be very welcome too).

It seems that what you are proposing isn't actually creator expert, but a new theme that combines the internal mechanics of the Technic theme (most likely would need a return to studded Technic) with the external look of creator expert. It would probably be called Lego Mechanic or something.

23 minutes ago, allanp said:

It seems that what you are proposing isn't actually creator expert, but a new theme that combines the internal mechanics of the Technic theme (most likely would need a return to studded Technic) with the external look of creator expert. It would probably be called Lego Mechanic or something.

Model Team? :grin:

27 minutes ago, allanp said:

<snip>

Yes, I even mentioned Model Team somewhere. I talked about Creator expert just because it seemed closest thing from today's from the product lines and there have been many Creator expert vehicles which aim for realistic looks of real cars. Now, just add internal mechanics like suspension and transmission, and you have what I was looking for. Doesn't of course have to be branded as Creator expert.

3 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Why do people keep bringing this up? The new diff is only good for RC purposes, while the old diff gears up less and is thus the right choice for a manual model. The new diff would introduce more friction to the drivetrain, and I bet there will already more than enough friction as it is. So why make things worse?

I agree with you when you say that new diff is good only for RC model but, I think you are wrong about friction, new ones have less friction then the old one, even with 2 gears more. Maybe because they are holded in place more freely. 

Is there a way to automatically hide any posts mentioning the phrase "blue pins"? These people have nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion. 

Welcome to 2007. Lego is a company with a target audience of laypeople, not experts. If someone who doesn't have your galaxy brain buys a set and gets frustrated, they won't buy another one. Hence blue pins.

If this is such a sore point for you, I recommend not giving them your money.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

Nope, not the only one. I never bought the argument "oh well you can't see it in the finished model" because you can see blue pins everywhere and as the builder you can see it while you build it, and now there is a viewing window to see the gearbox they no longer have that excuse either. And no, I'm not going to spend £350 just so I can swap out most of the parts, many of the parts I would want to swap out only come in one bright colour so I couldn't do that even if I wanted to.

Fair enough. I guess I just don't understand how colourful parts take away from the building experience. When I built in the late 80's and early 90's, part of the challenge was the amount of parts added in each step of the instructions but I'm not so sure the colour of parts made as much difference.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

This is the first argument that actually has a point, but I believe the right combination of Technic and System pieces would accomplish better styling while not being too heavy. I'm not saying you can't use Technic panels, but why limit the construction to them?

I feel that the 42115 Sian will look better on display together with my 42056 GT3 RS compared to the 42083 Chiron just because both the Porsche and Lambo look to use less system pieces in the bodywork than the Chiron, making them more coherent in the visual design.

Edited by zoo

34 minutes ago, thunderl said:

Whaat, inaccurate detail in Technic! Canceling my order right away :D

It is yes? 

22 minutes ago, mahjqa said:

If someone who doesn't have your galaxy brain

Oh my god my sides :roflmao:

32 minutes ago, mahjqa said:

Is there a way to automatically hide any posts mentioning the phrase "blue pins"? These people have nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion. 

Welcome to 2007. Lego is a company with a target audience of laypeople, not experts. If someone who doesn't have your galaxy brain buys a set and gets frustrated, they won't buy another one. Hence blue pins.

If this is such a sore point for you, I recommend not giving them your money.

Or just buy black pins on Bricklink, they are still available.

And yes, color vomit IS NECESSARY, because people's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter along with the need for instant gratification with minimum effort. That's how it is, you just have to deal with it.

Now back to the set, I expect this supercar to be the most structurally rigid of the series thanks to the use of the new, bigger frames. And I also expect the gearbox to work more smoother because of the same rigidity which will keep all the gears in proper place without "L beams leaning onto moving axles"

Only thing that worries me is the steering angle of the front wheels, I don't expect anything more than 25 degrees due to the limited space inside the wheels and angle limitation of the CV joint.

Edited by Zerobricks

Just one short thought for the color vomit discussion - if you managed to survive 42082 then this set will be a relief, just sayin'.

16 minutes ago, Starchild15 said:

It is yes? 

Yes. And I'm sure there's a way to mod it. I would try and move each triangle one stud out and put a 2x1 or 3x1 tile in lime green in the middle and remove the flex axle. Although it seems right in my head, I'm not sure how it would actually turn out

I have to say, this is a pretty neat set, I plan on getting it just to display it near the Bugatti. Not a big fan of the color tho ...

2 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Just one short thought for the color vomit discussion - if you managed to survive 42082 then this set will be a relief, just sayin'.

So when are we gonna see the review? ??

Edited by thekoRngear

Just now, kbalage said:

As long as you don't flip the model upside-down for the gearbox "feature" :laugh_hard:

Maybe if we got at least medium sized set without colourvomit for "experts" instead of these gigantic colourmess sets, people would be more acceptive. Otherwise without an influx of new parts in old colours, there is no way to build MOCs without colourvomit parts like the new gears. And some parts in black are getting more expensive due to their age ;-;

In regards of the set, dissapointed that the doors are lever-actuated instead of being spring loaded, but I guess not much could be done without re-introducing old parts. Probably will either pick it up 2nd hand / at a significant discount. Or if not too ludicrous, just buy the lime softaxles&connectors off BL)))

45 minutes ago, mahjqa said:

If someone who doesn't have your galaxy brain

When your attention span finally is > 5mins and you reach galaxy brain level *insert "its big brain time" meme here*

1 hour ago, allanp said:

This is next level stuff. Sariel is the master of this technique, combining a Technic foundation with intricate, brick built detailing. Blows my mind, but creations such as his could surely be considered to be the best of both worlds.

1 hour ago, mahjqa said:

@mahjqa by the way...

vNeojG1Dp14.jpg

5 minutes ago, CrankyCraig said:

*huh* 

I fear one of us has misunderstood Mahj's point

I am not answering his message, I just mentioned him as he did the same presentation of model before:wink: You should be his subscriber at least to understand what I mean. I admire @mahjqa filming skills

38 minutes ago, syclone said:

As long as you don't flip the model upside-down for the gearbox "feature" :laugh_hard:

Maybe if we got at least medium sized set without colourvomit for "experts" instead of these gigantic colourmess sets, people would be more acceptive. Otherwise without an influx of new parts in old colours, there is no way to build MOCs without colourvomit parts like the new gears. And some parts in black are getting more expensive due to their age ;-;

In regards of the set, dissapointed that the doors are lever-actuated instead of being spring loaded, but I guess not much could be done without re-introducing old parts. Probably will either pick it up 2nd hand / at a significant discount. Or if not too ludicrous, just buy the lime softaxles&connectors off BL)))

42111 has almost no color vomit, almost all bricks are gray or black.

3 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

42111 has almost no color vomit, almost all bricks are gray or black.

Yeah, i have that set aswell. And I agree with you. Most of the parts are just black and grey

About what you call color  vomit...I must say this is a precious help for people like me who have serious problems into color perception. If I can understand this POV who cares when the final model looks ok?

Edited by steph77
Typo

Wow, it seems I missed a few pages.

I'm afraid I want it. Badly. It seems very complex, and seems to make the Porsche look "simplistic" in comparison. And compared to the Chiron, it's much sleeker. I like that. But I wanted the Chiron when it came out, and I bought one in the end, and I had lots of fun redesigning it. I'll probably do the same here, it's a fun challenge. I'm rather bad at bodywork modelling, so I like the idea of starting with an existing bodywork and trying to create my own "skeleton" for it.

It seems more interesting to mod than the Chiron and I absolutely adore the lime color. Also, the fact it's 1 color instead of 2, and a color that's already relatively available, makes it much easier to swap parts around and modify. I already have a good collection of lime parts, so this would be a very useful addition to the parts collection as well, both in quantity and variety of lime parts.

Gearbox-wise, it would have been cool to see "some" kind of evolution, but that looks to be still the same mess of the Chiron, but that gives me an opportunity for some optimization. Same goes for the whole chassis. Those 11 x 15 frames are great as parts, but seeing three of them stacked like they are, looks like a real eyesore design-wise. At least the doors and wing are actual functions now. Let's hope they're connected sturdier than the Chiron doors...

Let's hope the suspension works like it should. Not so sure about the way the springs are mounted, but we'll see. But the too-long steering arms are such a dumb mistake that it almost looks like a deliberate action for some purpose we don't see yet.

It looks like the chassis isn't being compromised to form some weird and rather pointless "marriage" phase such as the Chiron, so I'm looking forward to building it. Main bridge to cross is how to convince the wallet...