Glow in the dark sounds nice, and I am excited by the set. But that final teaser is just plain ugly - what's up with that squashed purple glowing balloon? :hmpf:

Hmm.  Quite ugly in my opinion.  Not a fan of the lime green at all.  I know I'm dreaming, but based on the car shown at the auto show the old metallic green from 8466 would have been perfect.

Of course I'll probably still buy it.

I'm curious how the doors will work too. The return of dampers, white rubber bands, or nothing at all?

The doors on the Sian, like the Aventador, open outwards while opening up, and not just straight upward like on the Countach or Diablo.

Edited by therealjustin

Just now, therealjustin said:

I'm curious how the doors will work too. The return of dampers, white rubber bands, or nothing at all?

The doors on the Sian open outwards while opening up, and not just straight upward like on the Countach or Diablo.

Or just a normal shock absorber

I don’t know ... I’m just not that excited by this one for multiple reasons.

First, and this is just personal preference, modern Lamborghinis just don’t speak to me, especially the exclusive specials like the Sian. I like my models to be more down to earth vehicles I can see in the real world. The chances of seeing a Sian in the flesh is simply zero. Moreover the Sian is not a handsome car in my opinion. All the black areas and interrupted panel lines create a lack of coherence between all its sides. Those holes for headlights are macabre, like a skull and the rear lights are bulging out as if something is pushing down on the rear of the car. And what’s with the bob-sleigh handles at the rear?

Apart from choosing another car, TLG can’t be blamed for these issues. However, the side by side comparison between the real car and the set (on page 40 of this topic) seems to suggest that the Lego version is not a very good rendition of the Sian: The angle of the windshield is too flat, the point of the nose sits too high and the side intakes are not shaped correctly. This is unfortunate for a set that wants to be a scale model which will mostly be a display model. Maybe better quality images will change this perception.

I’m not too sure about the color choice either. I'm sure it will sit nicely besides the Porsche and the Bugatti. But again we have new parts in a rare color, making MODs and MOCs more difficult than it should. But this is not the first and definitely not the last time we have seen this from TLG. Yet a part of me thinks that if TLG no longer cares if their sets are more difficult to adapt and money seems to be no object, why not go all in and create special color parts for these UCS sets?  A metallic green is a missed chance in that case.

Lastly, at the moment I just don’t see how this set will be worth that insane amount of money. Sure you will get a big pile of parts in a fancy box. But the size to function ratio is too small to justify another big car in my collection. I really hope that there will be enough innovation in this set, but apart from the functions we have seen in the Bugatti, I don’t expect many surprises.

TL;DR: I think there is a fundamental identity problem with these UCS cars: what are they’re for? If they are scale models for display, I would expect more modelling accuracy in proportions, colour and details (like the Creator sets do). If they are play sets, they should have more and more visible functions and a definitely a lower price tag (like most Technic sets).

End of party pooper mode.

Am I the only one in here that thinks it looks very good? If you want a perfect 1:1 model you shouldn't buy LEGO, but a diecast model. 

6 minutes ago, BrickJohn said:

If you want a perfect 1:1 model you shouldn't buy LEGO, but a diecast model. 

That logic really only works for me if they're not charging huge money, which they are :S

12 minutes ago, BrickJohn said:

... If you want a perfect 1:1 model you shouldn't buy LEGO, but a diecast model. 

I understand why you say that. I don't expect Technic models to be perfect because I know the limitations of the medium. But I don't agree with the priorities TLG has chosen in these UCS models.  But all is fine, it just means I won't be buying this set and you will.

Worryingly, these priorities seem to trickle down the rest of the Technic lineup. Based on the leaked image of the Volvo A60H set, cramming C+ components in is deemed more important than getting the vehicle proportions correct. In this case I really am consider buying a die-cast model or the Brüder version of the Volvo (coincidentally, this would save me a considerably amount of money).

3 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

cramming C+ components in is deemed more important than getting the vehicle proportions correct

Wait what? If anything, that goes directly into the Technic mantra of function over form.

What i don't get with this 18+ series is why do they use the well hated colorful axles pins for those sets. They are colorful to differentiate them from each other so younger people can build it, right?

But in a 18+ set? Iam sure everyone over 18+ (and younger ofc) can differentiate these parts easy!?

12 minutes ago, Coolusername said:

What i don't get with this 18+ series is why do they use the well hated colorful axles pins for those sets. They are colorful to differentiate them from each other so younger people can build it, right?

But in a 18+ set? Iam sure everyone over 18+ (and younger ofc) can differentiate these parts easy!?

Wrong. At least, TLG has less faith in your peers than you do. 

Anyway, there was already a long discussion about exactly this many pages back in this thread. :wink:

13 minutes ago, Coolusername said:

Based on what I've seen in a lot of Lego-related groups, there are thousands of grown-ups with the right to vote and start a family who can't even build the Defender without screwing up every other step. Pretty disturbing, innit?

I'm surprised this subjects keeps being brought up: The colour coding brings down the number of mistakes during the build. 

Everyone makes them: in this forum,you can find references to experienced builders like Jim or sariel having made mistakes during build.

So maybe the thinking is that adults can handle the frustration from having to redo some steps? That is also not true: given a large enough set of builders, they will be on average less happy with the experience.

41 minutes ago, konryd said:

So maybe the thinking is that adults can handle the frustration from having to redo some steps? That is also not true: given a large enough set of builders, they will be on average less happy with the experience.

Sure they can handle. I did mistakes, and still do sometimes, however this is what makes things exiting - challenging build. We, non grown-ups at he time, somehow survived the colorless era before 2000's as well as crappy instructions era (where you couldn't distinguish Black items, DBG from Black and LBG from DBG) of early 2000's. So excuses for using colorful axles, pins and etc. in 14+ aged sets these days look a little odd.

Let's close this endless debate color vomit . World is changing, people are changing.

I wouldn't think in just 5 years ago, what trivial and on common sense based information must be told and ordered for adults nowadays. Speaking of the modern world: let's face with the fact, that people are not challenged and conditioned nowadays to use their brains, but for relying on smart devices, and chasing instant success. Humans are lazy (inclusive me), they will go for direction of least resistance. Build - failure - no joy - throw away - looking for another source of instant pleasure. This is what LEGO has to compete with, especially as a money digger company, who is on the track of continuous growth - which means, they want to reach more and more people, in a market, where trillion other hobbies are in the race. What worked in 2000, doesn't work in 2020, regardless we like it here, or what we as children were capable of. We are minority - not the target of a multinational profit harvester.

Is this a good phenomenon? I do believe, it is not, but this topic intended to be discussed on the couch at the psychologist. Or at the pub.

Again what many people do not factor in but Lego have to, is that in at an 18 rated product not everyone will have perfect eye sight, might be colour blind, may have poor motor skills, i.e. unable to manipulate pieces, learning difficulties, poor spacial awareness (look how badly people put up Ikea furniture).

These people want to enjoy Lego as much as we do so the price to pay is colour differentiation.

I woke up this morning and the first thing that came to mind is: Only one day to Lamborghini reveal !...

But since I’m currently in “lockdown” on the California coast;... the news is actually better than that.  It’s one day less 9 hours to be exact !...

Yay !!!  I’m so happy...

Good morning fellow Eurobrickers !!!

1 hour ago, agrof said:

Let's close this endless debate color vomit . World is changing, people are changing.

I wouldn't think in just 5 years ago, what trivial and on common sense based information must be told and ordered for adults nowadays. Speaking of the modern world: let's face with the fact, that people are not challenged and conditioned nowadays to use their brains, but for relying on smart devices, and chasing instant success. Humans are lazy (inclusive me), they will go for direction of least resistance. Build - failure - no joy - throw away - looking for another source of instant pleasure. This is what LEGO has to compete with, especially as a money digger company, who is on the track of continuous growth - which means, they want to reach more and more people, in a market, where trillion other hobbies are in the race. What worked in 2000, doesn't work in 2020, regardless we like it here, or what we as children were capable of. We are minority - not the target of a multinational profit harvester.

Is this a good phenomenon? I do believe, it is not, but this topic intended to be discussed on the couch at the psychologist. Or at the pub.

True;... but my favorite pub here is still,... let’s call it,...  “closed”. 

:wink:

Edited by Wimmer
Text

I for one can't wait, I don't expect and lego/technic to be as good as a scale model, i enjoy building more than anything and then do display.  Only really show functions when others come around.  I do feel overall the site have gotten bigger and more expensive so much and it must be mainly AFOL's buying, as when i was 12 etc would not of got any of these bigger sets.  I think the 18+ thing is good for this reason.

I just hope it comes in down in price as i will as Porsche and Chirron did eventually.

7 hours ago, Blakbird said:

Hmm.  Quite ugly in my opinion.  Not a fan of the lime green at all.  I know I'm dreaming, but based on the car shown at the auto show the old metallic green from 8466 would have been perfect.

Of course I'll probably still buy it.

I thought you were selling :wink:. Good to know you're still with us!

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

That logic really only works for me if they're not charging huge money, which they are :S

Well, it's LEGO. Money doesn't change the limitations of a platform. It's RRP might be high, but you can also just wait until it drops. I got the Bugatti at almost 50% discount. 

Edited by BrickJohn

1 hour ago, Wimmer said:

True;... but my favorite pub here is still,... let’s call it,...  “closed”. 

:wink:

There are other aspects as well, as written above... but damn, I went also too black and white. You are perfectly right about the pub situation, so where the heck should we speak out our pain, if not here on the forum! Who the brick I am to stop the talk? :wink:

Entrance of the Pub to the Color Vomit

3 minutes ago, BrickJohn said:

Well, it's LEGO. Money doesn't change the limitations of a platform. 

These poor proportions don’t look like limitations of Technic to me.

43 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

These poor proportions don’t look like limitations of Technic to me.

I havent really paid much attention to the volvo, as i dont really care to much about that kind of machinery, but it is kind of odd dragging likeness to licensed machines into a "i dont like modern technic" argument, considering that just a few years ago, licensed sets pretty much didnt happen, we couldnt complain about how a set like 42000 didnt have the right front wing for an F1 Ferrari, because it was a generic racecar, not licensed. So this is a new issue caused by all the licensed sets, not because TLG is paying less attention to design then they used to, we finally have a real thing to compare to.

Either way, i try to take a more relaxed stance these days, TLC does what they do for their own reasons, and they probably have a better view on their market then we do, and if that takes technic into a direction where i dont like it anymore, then either ill veer off into MOCs, or just focus on another hobby. (and without trying to patronize anyone, i think a lot of people could benefit from mellowing out a bit, in the end lego is a hobby, and especially lego isnt limited by what TLC decides to put into a box, so find your own joy, and try not to worry too much about it, stress isnt good for the humand body/mind, and some ABS bricks arent worth getting worked up over)