Arocs

Seen on the walls of thousands of teenage boys’ bedroom walls........never.

Bring on the Sian....with all it’s (perceived) flaws....and bring on the subsequent mods and improvements too.

Well, some of us like the MB Arocs as its the perfect marriage of form and function, plus it PF and pneumatics, and some of us like the recent line of fancy sports cars including the upcoming Lambo, and still some of us like both! As an engineering and am more inclined to playing with the Arocs and admiring the Bugatti and friends sitting on my shelf.

I think the reality is that these days there are Technic sets that are primarily about function, like the Arocs, and originally all Technic sets were like that, but now this supercar series is more of a form over function type of Lego product, where some functions and some realism (as far as the mechanics are concerned) are sacrificed in order for the model to look better. These are never going to push the boundaries of what kind of fancy mechanics can be done in Lego from. The Porsche didn't, the Chiron didn't and the Sian won't. They should not be seen as successors to the 8880 (which was a fictional car to showcase the mechanics that were built into it), because they are not. These are meant to be attractive looking "real" cars with some basic Technic functions and that's it. At least that's how I see it.

Anyways, I'm going to buy this set and it's going next to my Bugatti Chiron.

Edited by boat2903
Typo

1 hour ago, Big Adam said:

Arocs

Seen on the walls of thousands of teenage boys’ bedroom walls........never.

Bring on the Sian....with all it’s (perceived) flaws....and bring on the subsequent mods and improvements too.

Arocs is simply the best technic set so far. 

3 minutes ago, Robo-Knight said:

I just want to know if the Sian will have an Interior like the Chirrons or not.

I mean given the history of the line up it's almost guaranteed. I'd put money on it. Even in the leaks yuu can see the headrests with the Lamborghini logo. 

Just now, SheldonF said:

I mean given the history of the line up it's almost guaranteed. I'd put money on it. Even in the leaks yuu can see the headrests with the Lamborghini logo. 

Sold! I wonder if there's a way to pre-order this or not.

6 minutes ago, Robo-Knight said:

Sold! I wonder if there's a way to pre-order this or not.

There may be an earlier release for VIPs but I don’t think they’ll do preorder. The current UCS A-wing didn’t have preorder.

As to your earlier comment about sets should have been like the Chiron all along what do you mean by that? Do you mean Technic sets from 1977 ? Or more recently ? Remember just like everything in life things evolve. When the first iPhone came out we were amazed, but it’s evolved to much more. Much like the first Star Wars sets look very simple compared to what is classed as a good set today. So as long as sets continue and evolve that’s a good thing and we shouldn’t measure old sets by newer standards but put them in the context of what was the standard then.

Sian%20comparison.JPG

To your convenience...

(Both photos were scaled to 270 cm wheel base, other measures come from that... of course LEGO Sian might be a bit longer, as it seems the front and the rear are a bit dark on the photo,...)

EDIT: In fact I am almost sure that on the photo from the box we don't see the whole rear end...

Edited by MajklSpajkl

59 minutes ago, Seasider said:

There may be an earlier release for VIPs but I don’t think they’ll do preorder. The current UCS A-wing didn’t have preorder.

As to your earlier comment about sets should have been like the Chiron all along what do you mean by that? Do you mean Technic sets from 1977 ? Or more recently ? Remember just like everything in life things evolve. When the first iPhone came out we were amazed, but it’s evolved to much more. Much like the first Star Wars sets look very simple compared to what is classed as a good set today. So as long as sets continue and evolve that’s a good thing and we shouldn’t measure old sets by newer standards but put them in the context of what was the standard then.

I just mean where everything's detailed. There aren't any massive gaps like there are in the earlier Supercars & Technic Sets as a whole.

I am so glad they chose lime green (aka Verde Ithaca) for this instead of something like olive green.

Although with the wallet-busting price tag this thing is going to have, I may not be able to get one anyway :(

1 hour ago, MajklSpajkl said:

EDIT: In fact I am almost sure that on the photo from the box we don't see the whole rear end...

The side view of the render also doesn’t have perspective like the set photo, so there’s hidden bits. I really hope the back looks good

2 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

To your convenience...

Thanks MajklSpajkl, you must have read my mind. :thumbup:

June 1st can't get here quickly enough.

Edited by CrankyCraig

Really like the box, but miss the rims theme we got with GT3 RS and Chiron.

Also on the side view that roofline does not look so flat anymore,  

I love the look of this set. However, if the functionality is the same as the Chiron, I'll pass on it as I have that already. It's hard to do much more in a car than what that already has. These car sets are definitely designed to appeal to a different audience than the mainstream Technic sets, but can still be very well designed (at least the Chiron was, not so much the 911).

4 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Sian%20comparison.JPG

To your convenience...

(Both photos were scaled to 270 cm wheel base, other measures come from that... of course LEGO Sian might be a bit longer, as it seems the front and the rear are a bit dark on the photo,...)

Wow... Thank you for this picture.  It really helps me put into terms my overall impression of the car.  There seems to be so much love for it to an extent that I think I am being too hard on it because I have been openly critical of it.  Which is weird because I usually don't put alot of stock into these UCS models and I enjoyed (relatively) 42056 and 42083.  But I really don't like the look of this one. 

In my field we talk about the left side of the brain processing details and the right side processing an overall gestalt of any given thing. I look at the details of this, and there are some nice ones.  However, the overall gestalt is just lost to me.  The flat roof and lack of pitch in the nose do horrible things for the overall gestalt of the vehicle, which ultimately gives me my poor impression of it. 

If I were to put it into brain terms I would say it is left brain strong while right brain weak.  Right hemisphere is also where we process more of our emotion - which perhaps gives me my overall negative impression........

Edited by nerdsforprez

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Wow... Thank you for this picture.  It really helps me put into terms my overall impression of the car.  There seems to be so much love for it to an extent that I think I am being too hard on it because I have been openly critical of it.  Which is weird because I usually don't put alot of stock into these UCS models and I enjoyed (relatively) 42056 and 42083.  But I really don't like the look of this one. 

In my field we talk about the left side of the brain processing details and the right side processing an overall gestalt of any given thing. I look at the details of this, and there are some nice ones.  However, the overall gestalt is just lost to me.  The flat roof and lack of pitch in the nose do horrible things for the overall gestalt of the vehicle, which ultimately gives me my poor impression of it. 

If I were to put it into brain terms I would say it is left brain strong while right brain weak.  Right hemisphere is also where we process more of our emotion - which perhaps gives me my overall negative impression........

Bear in mind, we're only seeing one angle. That being said, from what I can process in the image, the tail doesn't seem as top heavy as it should.

HOWEVER, and as I've mentioned before, it's not accurate to compare the two pictures.The Lego model is in perspective, whereas the drawing is purely orthogonal. Furthermore, the Sian is very pointed in both its nose and tail. As a result, the proportions on the Lego model are all sorts of messed up, because the perspective shrinks the centreline length of the car. We need proper photos from different angles to get an accurate representation.

I think for the moment a more reasonable thing to criticize would be the doors and the black wedges, as well as the huge tail fins. I think there's definitely room for improvement there. The wedge behind the rear wheel hasn't been replicated very nicely either imo.

9 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

some of us like the MB Arocs as its the perfect marriage of form and function

Amen to that!! :grin:

In the comparison pic above i think the Lego version looks better than the real thing! Visually i think its great, awesome looking set... but as mentioned above, the sacrifice of function means it doesn't grab me at all... Unless it turns out it has an average interior but accurate suspension. (never understand why the opposite is the case....:wacko: