13 hours ago, Surffikoira said:

what is under the hood is secondary to the looks

..but this is technic?! Surely what you're describing is Creator or something.. technic should be all about functionality under the hood..

35 minutes ago, amorti said:

I don't think it's a good enough reason? There's perfectly good suspension on the back of 42099 using those joints so it's not like it can't be done

Rear differential in Bugatti was lower so the car can fit that humongous engine. It can't be done without frictionless slides in old CV-joints, that's what I tried to say. Other useful result of this is that sometimes you can basically disassemble the joint without disassembling anything else in the model, I'm using this right now in my lambo model for example (no pictures yet).

@SNIPE why would the Lambo have HOG steering? The Porsche and Bugatti didn’t as they’re Adult models and not kids playthings.

Also I don’t think they’ll introduce any electrics into these as the price would go through the roof.

Since we already got two supercars, i think it will always be the same. Simple suspension/steering, fake engine, openable doors, transmission.

IMHO, this series is mainly about the looks and the challenge, to recreate a car with primarily technic pieces and basic functions which have to fit into the chassis and bodywork. The designers have to fulfill the requirements of the VW Group and TLG. The car has to be clearly recognizable and the designers have to follow the LEGO design guidelines. I can imagine that the development and approval processes take a lot of time, so that they mainly focus on the looks and try to refine some technical functions with every new supercar.

With every new set, I expect the "quality" of its predecessor and I'm happy about everything which has been improved.

Edited by Danee
correction

28 minutes ago, Seasider said:

@SNIPE why would the Lambo have HOG steering? The Porsche and Bugatti didn’t as they’re Adult models and not kids playthings.

Also I don’t think they’ll introduce any electrics into these as the price would go through the roof.

I meant in cabin  as HOG

31 minutes ago, Danee said:

Since we already got two supercars, i think we should stop the discussion about the "poor" technical functions.

As long as you’re only talking about the type of functions and not the execution then I feel that any disagreement will be in vain.

The more recent Land Rover and Dom's Dodge Charger had HOG steering. If these smaller licensed models had this functionality I don't see why the larger, more expensive sets cannot, especially since it adds a lot as a function.  There needs to be an evolution of these models. Perhaps in 2016 and 2018 the functions the Porsche and Bugatti had were considered enough, but now we know that more can be done.

Edited by XenoRad

I don't understand how this piece on the roof is placed. Anyone knows?

roof.jpg.27a034a38aaad7dec74c68e7239fdaab.jpg

Edited by Akbalder

15 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

roof.jpg.27a034a38aaad7dec74c68e7239fdaab.jpg

On 5/16/2020 at 11:09 PM, Gray Gear said:

View from above shows like design of rear window influenced by legendary Miura, but now it spreads into the roof; aerodynamic? Extra cooling of something? Panel disconnected with pins at the front and angled probably like rear section of 42093 set

106109045-1567519408144547343.jpg?v=1567

Edited by I_Igor

48 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

As long as you’re only talking about the type of functions and not the execution then I feel that any disagreement will be in vain.

Yeah, as most supercars have the same functionality it'll all be about the execution. If there's no improvement from the Chiron in terms of mechanical authenticity and how well they work then I would see poor functionality. But if those same functions are improved upon I would see it as having good functionality. So it's not about what functions it has, but how they are done.

52 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

Probably uses the new curved panel from the font in black also would explain the flat roof to give more strength for this curve down to the engine cover.

Edited by Cardboy

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

I meant in cabin  as HOG

I still don’t think it’ll have that as the other 2 don’t. Still too much of a “play” feature in my opinion

Looking at this rear view I think we will see more of the new panels used here for the air intake and rear screen. Click for a better view.

640x360.jpg

Edited by Cardboy

12 hours ago, suffocation said:

An Italian shopkeeper I know told me it is indeed Claas lime. Hope he's right :pir-love:

With fond memories of Claas 42054 : I'm in!

In lime it potentially will be the Ultimate Technic SuperCar Parts Pack. I hope it to collect all the new technic gear:  reinforced hubs and CV joints from 42099, new differential and 28th from 42109, etc.

1 hour ago, XenoRad said:

The more recent Land Rover and Dom's Dodge Charger had HOG steering. If these smaller licensed models had this functionality I don't see why the larger, more expensive sets cannot, especially since it adds a lot as a function.  There needs to be an evolution of these models. Perhaps in 2016 and 2018 the functions the Porsche and Bugatti had were considered enough, but now we know that more can be done.

HOG steering is a double edged sword - it adds to the functionality but it can't be done without a compromise in design. Since the Porsche and the Bugatti (and I guess the Lamborghini as well) are primarily display models, they have a working steering wheel but no HOG gear. Their primary "function" is the provide a great build experience with the fancy box, detailed information, added extras like the podcast for the Bugatti, and to have some semi-realistic features built in that practically no one will ever use as they serve as display models. 

The Land Rover and the Charger are meant to be played, so that's why they have HOG steering. Interestingly 42096 did not have HOG steering either, only a working steering wheel. I don't think it's a differentiation based on product evolution or anything, might be a decision in accordance with the license partner. 

2 minutes ago, bitbamboo said:

With fond memories of Claas 42054 : I'm in!

In lime it potentially will be the Ultimate Technic SuperCar Parts Pack. I hope it to collect all the new technic gear:  reinforced hubs and CV joints from 42099, new differential and 28th from 42109, etc.

I can almost guarantee you this car will neither have the planetary gear hubs, nor the reinforced diff. Those pieces wouldn't be the right choice for a manual model. The extensive gearing up would introduce a lot of unnecessary resistance in the drivetrain

2 minutes ago, kbalage said:

HOG steering is a double edged sword - it adds to the functionality but it can't be done without a compromise in design. Since the Porsche and the Bugatti (and I guess the Lamborghini as well) are primarily display models, they have a working steering wheel but no HOG. Their primary "function" is the provide a great build experience with the fancy box, detailed information, added extras like the podcast for the Bugatti, and to have some semi-realistic features built in that practically no one will ever use as they serve as display models. 

The Land Rover and the Charger are meant to be played, so that's why they have HOG steering. Interestingly 42096 did not have HOG steering either, only a working steering wheel. I don't think it's a differentiation based on product evolution or anything, might be a decision in accordance with the license partner. 

Of course 8880 and the barcode truck had both hand of God and a working steering wheel, and I remember it working very well in 8880, best of both worlds.

Yeah I dont get why the 1:8 Cars dont just have a removable HoG on the dashboard...

I like to play with my 1:8 MoCs once in a while, it just takes me back in time and makes me feel relaxed. But it would be no fun if I had to stick my hand into the car and turn the steering wheel:laugh_hard:

Edited by Gray Gear

2 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

..but this is technic?! Surely what you're describing is Creator or something.. technic should be all about functionality under the hood..

Of course functionality is the main point of Technic. But I disagree that it's ALL about functionality, especially with these licensed sets that are supposed to represent real-life vehicles. Looks and recognisability are important too – if you're selling a model of a Lamborghini it should look like a Lamborghini. Most of the Technic MOCs I see are also trying to replicate a real-life counterpart and you have to look at the actual hood before you look under it.

In this case what I meant is I'm happy with the standard UCS manual mechanics such as suspension, steering, gear box etc. that are expected as long as the bodywork looks great.

8 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I can almost guarantee you this car will neither have the planetary gear hubs, nor the reinforced diff. Those pieces wouldn't be the right choice for a manual model. The extensive gearing up would introduce a lot of unnecessary resistance in the drivetrain

Exactly. People have strange expectations sometimes. Look at me, I have none - and till now I am only positive about the new Sian. :grin:

A HOG would be nice though, but sooner or later will be implemented by the community :wink:, so not a dealbreaker.

It won't have planetary hubs, too expensive if nothing else - but I don't see why they shouldn't use the new CV joints on a new non planetary hub? In any case it's a logical part that we don't have yet. Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, amorti said:

It won't have planetary hubs, too expensive if nothing else - but I don't see why they shouldn't use the new CV joints on a new non planetary hub? In any case it's a logical part that we don't have yet. Time will tell.

Because they would have to make yet another new wheel hub, even though they just made the Brake disc one for the Chiron. Even I think that would be unnecessary, the normal Wheel hubs work perfectly fine for manual models.

There will never be a official motorized 1:8 car, so the wheel hub you talk about will never exist.

Edited by Gray Gear

Maybe that's the distinction then. New CV joints for RC models, and they can be ran at higher speed / lower torque by using them exclusively with the new hubs.

Shame though, they're a lot better just because the better angle and the engagement nubs are now on the non-wear part so they can't really fail catastrophically, only wear out gradually.

MAybe the 1:8 scale Racing Car (license) don't have HOG steering! Like the old 3 F1 Racer?

Edited by Dylan M

2 minutes ago, Dylan M said:

MAybe the 1:8 scale Racing Car (license) don't have HOG steering! Like the old 3 F1 Racer?

I don't think there's any reason for them not to include a removable one though :S It's a little more complicated, but there's surely space somewhere on the dash for a removable knob to fit