Functions color coding would be better - let's say red axles for drivetrain, yellow for steering, grey for spoiler mechanism etc.

30 minutes ago, allanp said:

I see the insides of machines and service/repair them most days of the week as part of my job. They are not multicoloured.

32456-min.jpg

Having said that you can still fully colour code something without resorting to bright, ugly and garish colours like the Chiron or 42082. 

As for the age on the box being 18+, I do think it's cool for Lego to want to make these sets accessible to younger builders, I just think that you can go too far with the kiddie colours in such a premium set.

I guess it's the matter of task. I build pneumatic test benches regularly and not only the piping and electric cables are all color, but the valves, tube fixtures, other stock accessories too.
A random aircraft engine for example:

IMG_0079.JPG

Obviously the same color coding can't be applied to LEgo as there is no complex cabling, piping and whatever in Lego, but the overall expression is similar, lot of color accent, even if LEgo has more colors. I'm not saying the Chiron is a good example, because it's not. Static frame elements should be in a consistent (or very few) colors. The all terrain crane is another good example of bad color vomit.

Edited by Lipko

Something I thought of this morning, with all the new pieces this line introduces, would people have wanted a windscreen solution if Lego came up with one or does it stand too opposed to Technic as we've come to know it?

I don't understand how the roof is made. There is a green piece which seems to not have the good orientation.

26 minutes ago, Lipko said:

I guess it's the matter of task. I build pneumatic test benches regularly and not only the piping and electric cables are all color, but the valves, tube fixtures, other stock accessories too.
A random aircraft engine for example:

IMG_0079.JPG

Obviously the same color coding can't be applied to LEgo as there is no complex cabling, piping and whatever in Lego, but the overall expression is similar, lot of color accent, even if LEgo has more colors. I'm not saying the Chiron is a good example, because it's not. Static frame elements should be in a consistent (or very few) colors. The all terrain crane is another good example of bad color vomit.

I wonder if the pistons inside that engine are bright yellow with tan and bright red crank shaft :grin: . Some tasteful colour coding can work well. The colour coding of the main track drives in 42100 don't look too bad, they could be better but at least it's not like the all terrain crane or Chiron gearbox :sick: . 

Edited by allanp

18 minutes ago, allanp said:

I wonder if the pistons inside that engine are bright yellow with tan and bright red crank shaft :grin: . Some tasteful colour coding can work well. The colour coding of the main track drives in 42100 don't look too bad, they could be better but at least it's not like the all terrain crane or Chiron gearbox :sick: . 

Personally i rather like the yellow pistons over the old DG ones, the yellow flashing to the surface of the black kind of mimicks the cylinder firing.

49 minutes ago, Steph 104th said:

Something I thought of this morning, with all the new pieces this line introduces, would people have wanted a windscreen solution if Lego came up with one or does it stand too opposed to Technic as we've come to know it?

It would be better than using no semblance of a windscreen at all, as seen on 42114.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

I see the insides of machines and service/repair them most days of the week as part of my job. They are not multicoloured.

32456-min.jpg

Having said that you can still fully colour code something without resorting to bright, ugly and garish colours like the Chiron or 42082. 

As for the age on the box being 18+, I do think it's cool for Lego to want to make these sets accessible to younger builders, I just think that you can go too far with the kiddie colours in such a premium set.

I work on cars for a living. While gears and such are not color coded since they are noticeably different, other areas must be color coded to help prevent disasters. Such as fuses in a fuse box or wires. LEGO uses various colors for this same reason while also making the build easier for everyone. I know people who are highly intelligent who have completely botched official builds with the instructions being made as easy as possible...

Engine pistons are a bright color so they are easy to see, and this makes sense imo. I swapped in some dbg pistons in my Honda NSX MOC, and the pistons became very hard to see. So I returned to the yellow ones I used before. If the engine isn't completely exposed, or there is something partially covering the cylinders, bright pistons are a good thing.

Edited by Gray Gear

2 hours ago, Lipko said:

I love color vomit. And I don't love challenges when building a stock product. So wat.... 

It't just a matter op opinion. And whoever says that the internals of machines are not colorful haven't seen to much machines from the inside.

I do as well. People being able to see more clearly how things are built helps me to not answer as many questions.

Talking of vomit color :sick: :grin::

I quickly threw together a color comparison between the two box pics we have of the Lambo on the top, some randomly scavenged pics from lime sets in the middle (taken from various reviews here on EB), and kbalages olive line-up at the bottom. My bet at this point would also be on Lime (or a new shade of lime-ish green? please no *huh*...). I only have some doubts about the huge gloss in the top right box picture. Seems overdone somehow (to much light exposure?)...

640x406.jpg

EDIT: Btw, the use of a rotor blade as side skirt is just sheer genius, I would have NEVER EVER came up with that! Big kudo's to the designer for coming up with this inventive part usage!

Edited by Rudivdk

24 minutes ago, Paul Boratko said:

I know people who are highly intelligent who have completely botched official builds with the instructions being made as easy as possible...

Indeed, intelligence and attention are only moderately correlated.  Correlation is not nearly as strong as one would think.  The English phrase "absent-minded professor" comes from somewhere....

31 minutes ago, Paul Boratko said:

I work on cars for a living. While gears and such are not color coded since they are noticeably different, other areas must be color coded to help prevent disasters. Such as fuses in a fuse box or wires. LEGO uses various colors for this same reason while also making the build easier for everyone. I know people who are highly intelligent who have completely botched official builds with the instructions being made as easy as possible...

To add:
If I build system sets, for example Creator expert which I'm not familiar with, I have harder time to recognize the parts, even though there's color vomit like crazy in those sets. I imagine how exhausting building would be without that color vomit. And Exhausting is not fun for me while building.

14 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Btw, the use of a rotor blade as side skirt is just sheer genius, I would have NEVER EVER came up with that! Big kudo's to the designer for coming up with this inventive part usage!

YESSS

22 minutes ago, Paul Boratko said:

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any colour coding. Indeed, if every pin, axle, gear, connector and beam was black it would be quite boring. I'm just saying they need to tone the colours down by quite a lot. You can still have all the same colour coding as we have now just using far more tasteful colours than bright red, blue, green, orange, and so on. I've also seen and heard of intelligent people messing up modern builds with 1 piece per step instructions and extreme levels of colour coding, but doesn't that just prove the point that colour coding isn't that effective? If mistakes are still happening then it really is time to try something else, like having more numbered bags and more realistic gearboxes, which happen to be far simpler. The gearbox in the picture I posted above is from a real F1 car, and it's core is far simpler than that of the Lego Chiron. Surly that would be a better way of reducing mistakes and/or minimising the impact of mistakes that are made.

Anywho, feel free to continue the colour coding argument, I'd rather not continue to pollute this topic with it (unless of course the gearbox has purple or pink in it, then all hell's gonna break loose!)

36 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Btw, the use of a rotor blade as side skirt is just sheer genius, I would have NEVER EVER came up with that! Big kudo's to the designer for coming up with this inventive part usage!

Damn! I still believed that it's a new a part, like a some skewed and curved panel. Pure genius!

45 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Honestly, Lego designers are in much easier positions than we are. They can decide the color. You would not get the idea in first place to use a DBG part for a red / lime / orange / etc exterieur detail. Still, it is a nice part usage, but not as much creative way as on a regular MOC, so don't be too hard on yourself. :wink:

I worry only, that according the habits (naming parts from the sets they appeared first), it will be called: the Sian rotor blade.... poor Osprey. :grin:

Edited by agrof

The headlights look great, but what are they made of? Bars? Some sort of Minifig accessory? I cant really tell, I dont know much about swords and stuff that could be used for this...

Edited by Gray Gear

6 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Damn! I still believed that it's a new a part, like a some skewed and curved panel. Pure genius!

I think it is a new part, a new rotor blade for the Bell helicopter as it looks shorter than the current, rubber tipped ones we have now.

14 minutes ago, allanp said:

I think it is a new part, a new rotor blade for the Bell helicopter as it looks shorter than the current, rubber tipped ones we have now.

Yes, I think so too. Early this year a new, somewhat shorter, rotor blade was confirmed on the Bell-Osprey by a few visitors to Toy Fairs. This is most likely the exact same new part in a different color.

15 minutes ago, allanp said:

Yes I think the rotor blade is new, the part you can see with the 3 pin holes is different to the large blade that has the black rubber end. So I think this is the new slightly shorter rotor for the Bell Osprey

Just going to be brutally honest and say it - it looks better than any MOC I’ve seen so far, including any that I’ve been able to come up with. 

Its got beautiful flowing lines with minimal clutter and jumbled messes of panels. Kudos to do the designer! I’m excited. 

44 minutes ago, allanp said:

Not just one part, you also need a mirrored one on the other side!

18 minutes ago, sm1995 said:

Just going to be brutally honest and say it - it looks better than any MOC I’ve seen so far, including any that I’ve been able to come up with. 

Its got beautiful flowing lines with minimal clutter and jumbled messes of panels. Kudos to do the designer! I’m excited. 

I have also come to the same opinion. This is, for me, the single best looking creation ever made from Lego bricks, from any time, from any theme, from anywhere. Now that is only my opinion and to be fair to the MOCcers, this is as it should be. A Lego designer can make a whole bunch of new panels and helicopter rotors in lime green to match their car, so they have the advantage. But still, that shouldn't detract away from the excellent job they have done.

5 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Not just one part, you also need a mirrored one on the other side!

Not necessarily, as Lego has a habit of making these blades without any aerodynamic geometry for creating lift they will probably be the same both sides.

Edited by allanp

Can I be honest? If that's what the real model is gonna look like, then I think it looks super ugly. The color, combined with the unnecessarily smooth panels all around just give it a feeling like it's not even technic. Based on that picture, it looks like a 3rd party brand made it. It better be functional, because that's the only thing that can save it IMO.