52 minutes ago, CrankyCraig said:

Is the 18+ rating a first?

42100: 12+

42056 & 42083: 16+

42043: 11-16

In any case, it's given me a great deal of hope that what lies beneath the shell will be something designed with a higher degree of authenticity for a more discerning customer. 

Regardless, I'm wasting no energy on trying to convince myself I'll be able to skip this one. 

I think the 18+ rating is just a marketing thing.

57 minutes ago, CrankyCraig said:

Is the 18+ rating a first?

42100: 12+

42056 & 42083: 16+

42043: 11-16

In any case, it's given me a great deal of hope that what lies beneath the shell will be something designed with a higher degree of authenticity for a more discerning customer. 

Regardless, I'm wasting no energy on trying to convince myself I'll be able to skip this one. 

It's just a new marketing thing they are trying. Other sets using it are the Star Wars busts, UCS A-Wing, Architecture White House and Haunted House. Not only the recommended age changes, but also the Lego logo is now in the lower left corner and a logo of the product is in the upper left.

Well I think it looks fantastic, and I'm beyond happy that it appears to be lime green or at least something similar. The gaps are well placed and everything flows quite nicely. The roof is a bit flat, but the designers must have figured the 3x13 or the new panels were too convex in shape perhaps? 

Can't wait to see the rear now, and of course the Technic bits on the inside.

Edited by therealjustin

1 hour ago, therealjustin said:

The roof is a bit flat, but the designers must have figured the 3x13 or the new panels were too convex in shape perhaps? 

The 42056 exaggerates the crevice in the middle of the hood and the roof, but this one doesn't do so for the roof. :(

its green .... I'll pass .... good thing i'll save my budget on the other sets 

i think the set was taken inside the Store 

meaning its a new delivery ...

29 minutes ago, Dylan M said:

its green .... I'll pass .... good thing i'll save my budget on the other sets 

i think the set was taken inside the Store 

meaning its a new delivery ...

Same here, I’ll pass it just simply the Color scheme.

I think most of those people who complaining are the Color scheme.

I would now more prefer it is LR olive green.

Well, since we have now an ORANGE, BLUE, & GREEN model all from VW group, then I reckon next successor will be RED Scania double-deck bus ?

Edited by Technicallism

Looking really nice overall. With this color, I would have hopped for an Aventador SVJ but never mind. I am quite excited to know more about the transmission and how it is operated (paddles or central stick). 

Regarding the next colors, definitely red or white in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, howitzer said:

It looks like just three white bars clipped to something and aimed to the same point, but that seems a bit too lazy solution...

You are right.

My thoughts now some light has been shed on the new beast.

Listening to some peoples (hopefully minority) thoughts and complaints, which seems to happen when any new set comes out. Everybody knows the limitations of a lego technic piece yet when they see the model, they expect it to be the same as thing, instead complain of too many gaps, something not quite at the right angle etc etc etc. I get it and the are times when I would like things to be tweaked. I'm sure Lego could probably throw a couple hundred more pieces at it and iron out some of the bumps and gaps and then people would complain that they can't see inside or it costs more again. A lot of times it feels like the designers are on a hiding to nowhere.

Me personally, I think it looks good and the colour is a good choice also (it's a very Lamborghini colour). I'm not sure if it'll be many MOCers first choice but that doesn't bother me. Like every set, some will love it, some will hate it.

When 42056 was released I thought it looked ordinary, I only ended up getting one about 2yrs after release as I found it grew on me. Now I think it looks great. Does it have it's faults? Sure

When 42083 was released my initial reaction was that it looked better than the Porsche, now I have them both on par with one another. Does it have it's faults? Sure

Now 42115 my initial thoughts is it looks better again, so I can only imagine how good it's going to look to me a few years down the track. Will it have it's faults? Most likely :classic:

So to sum up, Bring on 42115 in all it's bright green glory. At the end of the day unless I win the lotto this is as close to owning a Lambo as I'm going to get

1 hour ago, Technicallism said:

RED Scania double-deck bus ?

Hell yeah that’s the stuff

So I’ve been thinking over night, as you do. We have (at least) 5 new parts ... wheel rim, rotor blade, curved panel with taper left, curved panel with taper right, wheel arch with curved top. Which is a good thing in my mind, some of these I thought we already had the rumour of being on the osprey (tapered panels and I assume the rotor blades) so that would have minimised the cost on this.

The box looks the same type as the previous 2 cars, lift off lid, so I would assume a similar layout of smaller boxes inside for the build stages, hopefully with graphics similar to the Bugatti box. The box now has the 18+ rating that has appeared on a few sets this year.

but if people think 18+ means no colour vomit on the chassis I think they’re in for a nasty surprise. Why? Well the SW Helmets have a colour vomit interior, and just think how difficult the instructions would be to follow if the chassis was just black or LBG? Also think of the sheer number of parts in new colours that TLG would have to do, it would be a

I'm really liking the set, sure a few bits could be better but then this is Technic and getting complex shapes with sharp details to work is very difficult.

As to the colour, a bright lime green is perfectly in keeping with Lamborghini, they are about being bold. I’m glad it’s not Defender green as I think the model wouldn’t look as good. It’s a shame they didn’t resurrect the metallic green but that’s not a surprise and at least with this we can add to the lime green collection.

as to a Red Scania ... we have a Ducati in Red this year too, so that colour for a VW Group vehicle has been used ?

Edited by Seasider

+1 @MarkyMark42

• If it would be olive green, there would be whining as well. Lime green is a Lambo color, and real cars can be ordered in whatever color anyway - so why not? BTW I got a bit dizzy for now... the most discussed parameter of the flagship TECHNIC set is... the color?? Really?
  • The roof is rather flat on the real thing and the GT3 has more bubble shaped cockpit, so I think the flat panels are the better choise here.
  • Front light made with bars - reason for complaint, sure. We don't even know, how those are attached. Even if they are in a "lazy" way, it is an AFOL model, which will sit more on the shelf... and adults have also more understanding about making compromises - they say.
  • MK Sian? I wouldn't be surprised (as @kbalage said) if it would be just a placeholder design to ride the LEGO hype, after release, they will copy like hell. The LEGO Sian has coherent design language, looks as a whole. The MK design is full with accidental solutions from using small system tile pieces to huge, single purpose oversized panels.

I have the feeling, that some of us (sometimes included me) forget, that LEGO needs some abstraction - and this is one of the beauty of it.

Edited by agrof

About the color - I'm so happy it's not Defender green! As @agrof mentioned this is totally a Lamborghini color, way better than that baby p**p green. Custom supercar builders will have a new flashy color choice for their builds and can also use the new wheel arches, I'm sure they'll be heavily used. 

Front lights - I don't see how we could have a more authentic replica of a bright white narrow LED stripe without actually building a LED light in. Glad to see it's not a sticker!

The 18+ label represents TLG's effort to directly target AFOLs, they started it already with other themes and it's no surprise to see it on their "special" Technic set. I don't expect any structural changes compared to the 16+ label, it's simply a marketing differentiation. 

40 minutes ago, Seasider said:

But if people think 18+ means no colour vomit on the chassis I think they’re in for a nasty surprise. Why? Well the SW Helmets have a colour vomit interior, and just think how difficult the instructions would be to follow if the chassis was just black or LBG?

So you are defending the color vomit? Are you a fanboy? I was 12yo when I built the massive LEGO 8043 Excavator, with no color vomit exept blue pins. And 7yo when I built the 8436 Truck. No color vomit at all. And it was fun. I had no problems. There is absolutely no need for any of this. You must be joking.

Edited by Gray Gear

I think the model looks great and the color is just nice, both as a stand alone model and seem aside of Porsche and Chiron.

My only concern is about the color of the interior... from the picture it seems to be a black-green combination... same green shade of the body.

But according to official images of the real car, it should have been full black or (even better) orange-black combo. One of the distinctive elements of italian sport cars is their interior colors, after all...

Edited by Rikus

9 hours ago, howitzer said:

Any idea how the front lights are constructed? It looks like just three white bars clipped to something and aimed to the same point, but that seems a bit too lazy solution...

Actually it would be very cool if they would have a glow-in-the-dark-feature (Phosphorescence). This would go very neatly with the teaser.

44aebb1dbfb5e512caf86a97b8ac0ec2--vintag

Edited by Jundis

@Gray Gear It is funny, that You are refferring to 8043 as childhood model, you want us to feel old crap? :laugh:

Color vomit has it's purpose, it helps the build a lot. Think about it from a different perspective: LEGO wants to reach new, wider market by presenting lines, like the UCS Technic cars, Creator Expert, UCS Star Wars sets. To be succesfull, they have to make it in that way, that even a beginner, non-engineer headed average Joe must be able to build in a fool-proof way for flawless experience. Without this corporate TLG intention, we would not have such sets, probably at all. So it is kind of win-win, with a minimal tradeoff.

I can live with this compromise, and if You look at the final models, the overall visual appearance is not hurt by the colorful internals at all, or only a very minimal way.

1 minute ago, Jundis said:

Actually it would be very cool if they would have a glow-in-the-dark-feature (Phosphorescence). This would go very neatly with the teaser. 

Agreed, that would be very cool. And they did glow in the dark pieces before, even in 5€ sets (tiny turbos). But I doubt the headlights will be glow in the dark.

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

So I’ve been thinking over night, as you do. We have (at least) 5 new parts ... wheel rim, rotor blade, curved panel with taper left, curved panel with taper right, wheel arch with curved top. Which is a good thing in my mind, some of these I thought we already had the rumour of being on the osprey (tapered panels and I assume the rotor blades) so that would have minimised the cost on this.

The box looks the same type as the previous 2 cars, lift off lid, so I would assume a similar layout of smaller boxes inside for the build stages, hopefully with graphics similar to the Bugatti box. The box now has the 18+ rating that has appeared on a few sets this year.

but if people think 18+ means no colour vomit on the chassis I think they’re in for a nasty surprise. Why? Well the SW Helmets have a colour vomit interior, and just think how difficult the instructions would be to follow if the chassis was just black or LBG? Also think of the sheer number of parts in new colours that TLG would have to do, it would be a

I'm really liking the set, sure a few bits could be better but then this is Technic and getting complex shapes with sharp details to work is very difficult.

As to the colour, a bright lime green is perfectly in keeping with Lamborghini, they are about being bold. I’m glad it’s not Defender green as I think the model wouldn’t look as good. It’s a shame they didn’t resurrect the metallic green but that’s not a surprise and at least with this we can add to the lime green collection.

as to a Red Scania ... we have a Ducati in Red this year too, so that colour for a VW Group vehicle has been used ?

Haha... it’s just a suggestion with part of joke.

I think they just want to make it variety color among all ‘ultimate’ sport car....

1 minute ago, Gray Gear said:

Agreed, that would be very cool. And they did glow in the dark pieces before, even in 5€ sets (tiny turbos). But I doubt the headlights will be glow in the dark.

Whoa, Lego already have a 4L bar with this feature!

25 minutes ago, kbalage said:

About the color - I'm so happy it's not Defender green! As @agrof mentioned this is totally a Lamborghini color, way better than that baby p**p green. Custom supercar builders will have a new flashy color choice for their builds and can also use the new wheel arches, I'm sure they'll be heavily used. 

Front lights - I don't see how we could have a more authentic replica of a bright white narrow LED stripe without actually building a LED light in. Glad to see it's not a sticker!

The 18+ label represents TLG's effort to directly target AFOLs, they started it already with other themes and it's no surprise to see it on their "special" Technic set. I don't expect any structural changes compared to the 16+ label, it's simply a marketing differentiation. 

Yeah, the 18+ is a marketing purpose and to make clear AFOL to identify them their potential set to buy.

It’s 18+ but doesn’t mean you go in LEGO store and have to show your identity card to prove that you’re 18+ before you can buy it like what you should for cigarettes & alcohol....

(18+) Legosexual: a person who spends extensive familiar time with studded or studless plastic parts regardless preference of pins or pinholes.

Edited by agrof

45 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

So you are defending the color vomit? Are you a fanboy? I was 12yo when I built the massive LEGO 8043 Excavator, with no color vomit exept blue pins. And 7yo when I built the 8436 Truck. No color vomit at all. And it was fun. I had no problems. There is absolutely no need for any of this. You must be joking.

Chill, dude. Color vomit has 2 purposes - it helps during building to differentiate the parts and sections, and it also helps TLG to optimize part production and usage. I don't really understand why does it hurt to have different colors inside a model where you will never see them once it is finished.

30 minutes ago, Jundis said:

I think the main problem with glow in the dark pieces is their color, they actually glow green and not white. Still might go well with the green car, we'll see :) 

@Gray Gear - yes I am. Although when I build MOCs and TCxx entries I try to eliminate the colour vomit as much as possible, I also understand why TLG would use it on a set they sell. It helps a massive amount in terms of a build for referring between the image in the instructions and the model in front of you. If you’ve got poor spacial awareness trying to build a vehicle with a single colour chassis would be a lot harder and make the experience less enjoyable. Just look at any of the threads on the big TLG sets and look at how people on here who are used to building complex models are still asking for clarification and problem finding on a build. This would surely increase if it was a single colour.

@agrof - love the new term ?