This MK model is quite the surprise. Either MK somehow has access to enough inside information about the upcoming Technic set to beat it to the market or MK has developed/hired the skill to come up with an equivalent set for half the price. Either way, I think TLG should be worried. Are we sure there wasn’t a MOC in the community that MK could be based on?

About the model itself ... the details and gaps don’t feel as properly designed as the Bugatti was. Developing three new panels and at least one new other piece seems steep for just one set if it was a Lego set. All the PF-like elements are highly unlikely in a UCS car as has been said above. This MK kit appears to have some form of lighting in the headlights, if the Lego version has this, it might be the next level up for these UCS cars. The metallic green for all necessary parts is wishful thinking, but one can hope.

Bottom line, I think it might be based on the unseen Technic set, but I don’t expect this to be straight up copy.

Wouldnt it be cool if this somehow prompted TLG to produce/release  some teaser to dispel the notion that this is a copy of 42115 (if indeed it is not)

Hello,

i know it's an unrelated topic, but the forum won't allow me to send a private message.

If an admin/mod reads this, my browser (chrome) tells me when i click on page 2 or further in this topic, that there is an phishing attempt and blocks it. Any clues? It's just this topic.

13 minutes ago, Cyber Master said:

Hello,

i know it's an unrelated topic, but the forum won't allow me to send a private message.

If an admin/mod reads this, my browser (chrome) tells me when i click on page 2 or further in this topic, that there is an phishing attempt and blocks it. Any clues? It's just this topic.

Could be the links in the images of the Mould King counterfeit set.

53 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Wouldnt it be cool if this somehow prompted TLG to produce/release  some teaser to dispel the notion that this is a copy of 42115 (if indeed it is not)

They should probably do that soon to show that their model is superior to this one. I would imagine that this clone model could hurt their sales a bit at it's much lower price.

My feeling is this MK model is based on a work-in-progress that somehow leaked from Lego.

Exhibit A: we were promised a new tapered version of the 3x13 panel, which I don't see here.

Exhibit B: the new panels seem like placeholders of unfinished sections.

54 minutes ago, Meatman said:

They should probably do that soon to show that their model is superior to this one. I would imagine that this clone model could hurt their sales a bit at it's much lower price.

Agree, the situation becomes very risky and if the TLG model won't reclaim the control over it, it may become a begging of the end.

Regarding the model, let me bring here some grain of criticism. Mostly, I absolutely and honestly love the Technic models really enjoying how brilliantly they are designed, when each part serves the desired purpose and brings exactly the required meaning - not too fragile to broke the construction, not to heavy to make other well-balanced points now overloaded. For sure, some models are better, some worse. But being not a fan of these UCS cars at all (personally, they completely broke the "well-balanced perfectness" when their size and weight put them out of adequate limits of performance, technical "smartness and purity" - like the bridge that may just brake itself with its weight) I found the steps taken in this model are very significant:

1. Larger Technic panels shifts the scale limits to a higher "side" - the bigger single part is sturdier, lighter and therefore gives more inner space for additional gears, driveshafts, linkages etc. So now it makes the models closer the real-life cars which are way roomy inside for some functional things rather tons of beams and connectors just the carry these "armored" assemblies imitating the doors, fenders, pillars etc. That is what I really wanted from the UCS models when they were only early announced: to have something more that 10% of parts for a limited number of features and 90% just carry the oversized body. I would call it as a kind of Purity of Form.
  2. Another thing may not be so positive: replacement a set of smaller and therefore more general-purposed parts with a single but very unique part violates the "Purity of Content". It is the building constructor first of all and shouldn't be a kind of die-cast cars modes, just spitted on two pars: front+end.

The step with fenders was very important, as they still remained very universal, so now I'm looking forward to the the official TLG model and official parts.
(I won't get it for sure, but really interested in the "technical" aspects of this Technic model, including new parts and their possible use)

Edited by Void_S
Hoo, I'm a Knight now, glad to see it))

10 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

Also wondering why they are not using a traditional steering wheel. The real car doesn't have a Knight Rider style wheel...

Looks to me like there is no steering wheel at all in the pictures, and what you see is two paddle shifters... reason to believe this is a WIP version from TLG, not the final product. This feeling is strengthened for me by the way the rear wheelarch panels seem to mis-allign with the section behind, the fact that there are no Lambo-wheels, and all sorts of other little unfinished looking bits all around (like headlights, roof). Let's hope TLG kicks back with a good (better) model of their own.

Just wondering;...  most Lamborghinis have staggered width wheels from front to back.  I wonder if LEGO will give us a wider rear tire to match the colossal rears on every Lamborghini ?...

Although, these are already quite wide and maybe they want to use the same size like the other cars. 
Either way, I’m 100% sure they will come up with some neat rims for this car.  They did so for the other two; I’m sure they do for this one as well...

Edited by Wimmer
Spelling

45 minutes ago, Wimmer said:

Just wondering;...  most Lamborghinis have staggered width wheels from front to back.  I wonder if LEGO will give us a wider rear tire to match the colossal rears on every Lamborghini ?...

Although, these are already quite wide and maybe they want to use the same size like the other cars. 
Either way, I’m 100% sure they will come up with some neat rims for this car.  They did so for the other two; I’m sure they do for this one as well...

I would still wish the narrower front wheels. Just afraid to imagine how wide the rear wheels could be if the Lamborghini's monstrous wheels width is made by TLG  :look: 

3 hours ago, Void_S said:

I would still wish the narrower front wheels. Just afraid to imagine how wide the rear wheels could be if the Lamborghini's monstrous wheels width is made by TLG  :look: 

I wish for narrower wheels as well. The wheels we have now are just way to massive. I build 90s sportscar MOCs, and the real front wheels are like half as wide as the ones I am using now. Decreased steering radius, unnecessary suspension desing limitations, decreased interior space, and overall a little funny looks is the result. New wheel width isn't gonna happen imo, neither narrower nor even wider.

5 hours ago, Wimmer said:

But that would have been true for the Porsche ( 265/35 ZR 20 tyres on 9.5 J × 20 wheels at the front, 325/30 ZR 21 tyres on 12.5 J × 21 wheels at the rear) and Bugatti (285/30 R20 ZR tyres on the front, with 355/25 R21 ZR at the rear).

in fact most high performance cars will be like this

13 hours ago, Cyber Master said:

Hello,

PM's can only be sent after 10 posts, so you are almost there.

The phising attempt warning can be caused by content in a post. 

13 hours ago, Cyber Master said:

Hello,

13 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Could be the links in the images of the Mould King counterfeit set.

Probably not. Apparently, the site brickzone [dot] net has become considered unsafe.

Chrome, for instance, puts a red screen every time it finds references to it.

As some people stores pictures on this site, we will get these warnings from time to time while navigating EB.

17 hours ago, astyanax said:

My feeling is this MK model is based on a work-in-progress that somehow leaked from Lego.

Exhibit A: we were promised a new tapered version of the 3x13 panel, which I don't see here.

Exhibit B: the new panels seem like placeholders of unfinished sections.

I actually think that even clone's company like mk are not stupid enough to copy a brand-new in production product and claims that it's their on design. They can easily get knockout in court. And also another reason you can be sure it's not a copy, the fact that it looks more like a digital designer work and not the work that you expect from mocer.

1 hour ago, aniking said:

I actually think that even clone's company like mk are not stupid enough to copy a brand-new in production product and claims that it's their on design. They can easily get knockout in court. And also another reason you can be sure it's not a copy, the fact that it looks more like a digital designer work and not the work that you expect from mocer.

MK is smart enough and always changes just enough not to be sued for design copies. It's like adding an extra line to a Picasso and saying "look what a great painting I created" :D

I am curious how great the similarity will be in the end. If it's an obvious copy, I just buy the original as a symbolic middle finger. (maybe) =X

1 hour ago, aniking said:

A whole lot of MOCers use digital designer. Even if they don't, MK has proven itself more than happy to steal models and create digital models from them.

1 hour ago, amorti said:

A whole lot of MOCers use digital designer. Even if they don't, MK has proven itself more than happy to steal models and create digital models from them.

I was talking about regular digital designer who doesn't specialize in Lego design, but can design for you any product you like. And the evidence for that is, that this model have many unconventional building technics in it, and it doesn't look like something TLG or serious MOCer will make. It's very average looking. Look how ridiculous the roof look like, look like an amateur job. Also the front parts of the roof look similar to Gray_Gear Honda nsx. It's definitely a copy, but form many models combine not from Lego rather.

Also I know they have no problem stealing like they did with the Landrover, but again it was already in the market for a few months, and it's a big difference. 

The land rover wasn't stolen from Lego, at least not directly. It was a long wheelbase one from the mods thread.

I don't know what you're talking about with the digital designer stuff. You can make very professional renders in stud.io, given enough time and graphics card I'm pretty sure it could do what we're looking at.

Average looking? Well it's just your opinion. I just built 42096 and there's parts on there which are far from impressive.

Edited by amorti

57 minutes ago, amorti said:

The land rover wasn't stolen from Lego, at least not directly. It was a long wheelbase one from the mods thread.

I don't know what you're talking about with the digital designer stuff. You can make very professional renders in stud.io, given enough time and graphics card I'm pretty sure it could do what we're looking at.

Average looking? Well it's just your opinion. I just built 42096 and there's parts on there which are far from impressive.

Bottom line it look like a model they can easily build by their own without taking the risk of lawsuit. If they can take the landrover and change to longer version (different from the mod you talked about) and also implement a power factions in it, then they can easily build something average (in my opinion yes) that look like Lamborghini. also the wheel fenders are so aggressively shape it will be very hard to use them in other model, and it'sanother reason why I don't think it's in any way connected to TLG.

6 minutes ago, aniking said:

and also implement a power factions in it

MK also directly ripped off 42094 and shoved an app-capable brick inside, so I wouldn't count this out on that basis.

On 4/28/2020 at 10:00 PM, Maaboo35 said:

MK also directly ripped off 42094 and shoved an app-capable brick inside, so I wouldn't count this out on that basis.

This is basically what I'm saying about that model, it doesn't look impressive, but more like a hard work of an amateur who copied some from here and there and "filled the gaps". 

Edited by aniking

Hate me or not. I already pre ordered from some inside sources. I will let you guys know what really inside the box

You guys ever wonder why they’ve been so oddly quiet about this set? Since the teaser half a year ago there was nothing. Don’t they want to build up hype anymore? I mean it clearly backfired with the bugatti, but they worked on their proportions this time around and hopefully on the functions too, the doors and bodywork in general were an embarrassment and the gearbox not only lost it’s charm through the new pieces that took the magic away but also just the uselessness of it. I mean let’s be honest here if the car isn’t motorized i couldn’t care less about the pistons of the engine moving in slightly different speeds if i push the car around. Instead they should have focused on the visible stuff like the suspension work of @brunojj1 P1 for instance. That for me is way more fun! Which i guess they did this time around (at least better proportions, the functions will probably still be an embarrassment). The render we’ve seen here will match up to 99% with the original model, i’m sure of it. The rims, mirrors and color will be different, but the rest pretty much the same. Which is a shame tbh, because why pick a car model you cannot build with your existing pieces (Just saying that they can’t, some of you would have done a much better job in their position), only to design multiple new panels/ pieces just for the thing to resemble the real one? I mean it’s obvious, they want to have a reason this time around to justify the price of 380€. 10 cents per piece in a technic model directly from Lego... uhh that hurts, seeing as half of it will be pins anyways. The instructions will probably be 5000 pages again and the front and back will again be colorcoded because we don’t know how a car looks like so the insides have to be colorful so we don’t lose ourselves in the instructions and know if we are building it correctly, pathetic.

They desperately try to compete with the stunning MOCs we see here and on rebrickable, but they keep on failing. I guess the new unique panels are also a way to stand out in this community, but we’ll never know for sure. If you have to go the “Playmobil-way”, the point of building with Lego disappears. Just my two cents.

On 4/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, amorti said:

The land rover wasn't stolen from Lego, at least not directly.

Yes, it is stolen 1:1. Ali is full with it, beside the longer version you mention.