Concerning the colour issues; I put photos in the quality ref topic.

Spoiler, it's bad!

On 8/8/2020 at 8:01 PM, Verodin said:

Yellow was probably the first colour to have variations (it's had them since 2002, I think), so I'm not really surprised on that score. The fringes on the connectors and the misaligned print on the servo are beyond ridiculous, though.

I have just assembled the Volvo Hauler and downloaded the control+ app. The app calibrates the model then goes straight to the tutorial which then stops part of the way through and I can't get any further. I can't access any other screens. I have to shut down all apps because I can't exit the screen. Has anyone any ideas why this is happening? I have tried reloading the app but it is still the same. It happens on my Samsung tablet as well as my Samsung phone.

1 hour ago, Dasher said:

I have just assembled the Volvo Hauler and downloaded the control+ app. The app calibrates the model then goes straight to the tutorial which then stops part of the way through and I can't get any further. I can't access any other screens. I have to shut down all apps because I can't exit the screen. Has anyone any ideas why this is happening? I have tried reloading the app but it is still the same. It happens on my Samsung tablet as well as my Samsung phone.

Well, hey, it wouldn't be Lego if it didn't brick your device. :laugh:

On 7/22/2020 at 11:35 AM, Jundis said:

Just a fair warning: If you intending to use the LAs for raising/lowering the shield, I don't see any other way than to place the motors on the end, which will look really awkward... :-/

I have another idea :)

On 7/22/2020 at 11:35 AM, Jundis said:

Now I am hyped :D

Just a fair warning: If you intending to use the LAs for raising/lowering the shield, I don't see any other way than to place the motors on the end, which will look really awkward... :-/

Especially the Grader is one of those vehicles that are crying to using pneumatics instead of LAs as the blade has such a high number of degrees of freedom.

It's happening! *oh2*:laugh_hard:

197052111_4081737725253418_7887984040607

28 minutes ago, eric trax said:

It's happening!

Ohh.. I wanted to build the same machine as a B model from this set, but didn't have time to start working on it so far.. Too many ideas for other sets and not enough free time.

Curious how it progresses, it already seems different from what I had been thinking about.

On 6/6/2021 at 9:47 PM, eric trax said:

It's happening! *oh2*

Oh yeah :D

On 7/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, kbalage said:

Here's my review video of the set:

@kbalage Thanks for your great and detailed review. We assembled the set and successfully drove the hauler using Control+ app. Everything works fine except driving in 1st gear: cogs rotate, but the wheels do not. Orientation of limiter (purple cable holder) is correct, and I was not able to figure out what else could be wrong. Any idea what could be te the problem and how to fix it?

Edited by Odal

18 minutes ago, Odal said:

@kbalage Thanks for your great and detailed review. We assembled the set and successfully drove the hauler using Control+ app. Everything works fine except driving in 1st gear: cogs rotate, but the wheels do not. Orientation of limiter (purple cable holder) is correct, and I was not able to figure out what else could be wrong. Any idea what could be te the problem and how to fix it?

All I can suggest is to try to check all gears in the gearbox and see where is the disconnect, might be a wrong placement of a gear.

1 hour ago, Odal said:

Does it drive in the other gears? The orientation of the limiter is correct but is the orientation of the wavey gear selector piece correct relative to the limiter? If the answer is yes to both you may have missed out a gear or something somewhere, do you know which pieces you had left over after the build?

6 minutes ago, kbalage said:

All I can suggest is to try to check all gears in the gearbox and see where is the disconnect, might be a wrong placement of a gear.

@kbalage  

Thanks for a fast reply. If I got it right (at least from the top view in your video) the same cogs and axles rotate in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear? Attached is a screenshot from your video on which I marked all the cogs that are rotating (in all gears) . Is there anything special that should happend in 1st gear, some cog that should be rotating only in 1st gear? 

Due to the 0,1MB atachment size restriction here is a google dribe link to the full size file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14dJNb1SOXv35oLf2D_BNu-imT-4WVitd/view?usp=sharing

@allanp

Everything else works fine: iIt drives in 2nd and 3rd gear, and it lifts the bucket. 
Orange part (gear selector) is in line with the pink limiter (it is in horizontal position when in 1st gear, and it moves up when shifted to 2nd...). Only a few small pieces left. No gears or something like that. 

LEGO Technic  42114 - 1st gear_1e.png

This is the gear path for first gear, hope this helps.

first_gear.gif

Edited by allanp

Thanks a lot for your help! We did find 2 extra red gears 😅

So if someone would like to have fully functional hauler without 1st gear, put only one out of 3 red gears to be installed on page 34 of the instructions (step no. 50) 🥳

In my PF mod, because I raised the seat and the hood to more accurate positions, there is some space left under the seat, so I put the PF XL motor there and hook it directly to the fake engine and the front axle. A couple of days ago I saw a comment on the 42114 PF entry on Rebrickable saying that putting the motor there is technically wrong. I did notice that for official RC sets with middle differential (42070 A, 42070 B, 42114), the motor is connected to the middle differential instead.

So my question is that in the real thing, does the transmission from the engine go to the middle differential or somewhere else?

28 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So my question is that in the real thing, does the transmission from the engine go to the middle differential or somewhere else?

A differential has three sides: Left, right, and carrier. Usually you apply power to one side and it then distributes over the other two. If you're leaving one side idle, then all power will end up going to that side (because no resistance) and none will be transferred to the other.

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

In such articulated hauler, yes, it is.

For Volvo ones, there is a module of engine+gearbox under the hood and cabin. Then, still at the front "half-frame", the central differential is mounted sligtly behind the front axle. Its front output goes directly into the front axle, and the rear goes to rear axles via cardan(s) at the frame pivot point.

So, thechically it has a fully-mean central differential with axle differentials. Actually, this central differential is moved as close as possible to the front axle.

Help wanted. Have just built it and have a problem. 3rd gear raises tray. Tray buttons select 3rd gear. What have I done wrong?

Recalibrated it and now works OK. ;)

Edited by AllanSmith
Fixed.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:51 PM, Void_S said:

So, thechically it has a fully-mean central differential with axle differentials. Actually, this central differential is moved as close as possible to the front axle.

Also, usually the center differential is attached to the back of the transmission and is known as the transfer case.

i'm having a problem in 3rd gear, if the car goes forward it's very smooth, but if i reverse the car can't move or it's very difficult to move.  Anyone having the same problem as me?

7 hours ago, sonpham510 said:

i'm having a problem in 3rd gear, if the car goes forward it's very smooth, but if i reverse the car can't move or it's very difficult to move.  Anyone having the same problem as me?

I had something similar. The reason was that I forgot to assemble one pin, that was stiffening the structure of gearbox (I think it might have been the pin in the step 9 of instruction). Take a look at the gears in the gearbox, in my case they were shifting their positions a little bit in the different directions when driving forward and reverse.