Here is a video showing what's going on under a real hauler:

The articulation between the cabin and the trailer is already something quite nice.

But having suspensions would be even better. Is there anyway that the whole wheel axis could slide up and down? (On the vertical yellow beam at the back, there are only black pins, they don't seem to fix the stacked frames)

Looking at the video with the frame where the girl has the phone in hand, in the background the tilt angle of the tipper is not that bad in full range.

The part that really blew my mind about this set is the price. I saw that it got listed on the LEGO shop and the price here in the US is $250 which is oddly the same as the 42099, but that one has >1k parts less and no license as well as the same number of electronic components. When I saw that the price was going to be 250EUR I assumed the US price would be $270 so I hesitated and bought the 42099 instead, but in retrospect I could've gotten a much better deal :(

On the bright side, at least I got more CLAAS tires from the 42099. And admittedly having 2 C+ XL and 1 C+ L is better than having one of each of XL, L, and Angular imo (e.g. you could hard couple the 2 XLs for more torque). But all in all the price was totally unexpected for me, as all I've been seeing lately is sets with electronics getting more and more expensive (e.g. 42109, standalone C+ elements). It sucks for me that I should've waited longer for this set, but it is pretty good news in that LEGO may finally be improving the value of Technic sets. I noticed the same with the 42113 too, as that one is the same price as the 42080 ($150) but has ~600 pieces more AND a license, and both sets are motorized. This could be a positive trend here...

5 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

This could be a positive trend here...

In my believe, prices of Lego sets with 1000+ pieces are totally random and just made up by the marketing department, ignoring price/parts or special components mostly, overpricing electronic components:

- Supercar Series: Will be build by new customers --> Overpriced.

- 42070 (250€ for 1862 pcs) vs 42082 (230€ for 4057 pcs), both have PF, don't tell me the IR and Controller are so expensive.

- 42110 (180€ for 2573 pcs) vs 42096 (150€ for 1580 pcs), both licenced cars

" Kids also get a personalized dashboard with authentic cockpit controls " This is from the official set description, meaning customized controls?

8 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

" Kids also get a personalized dashboard with authentic cockpit controls " This is from the official set description, meaning customized controls?

Sounds like marketing bla bla. I assume they are reffering to the app "dashboard".

For the first leaks and images, I was really disappointed by this set. 3 motors, 3 functions? sounds very boring. But now with the official and clear images and descriptions, I like this set more and more. The idea behind the gearbox is just great. If the app does what it promises, I think this is gonna be a great set.

46 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

It's juste that the app looks like the dashboard of the real truck.

8 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

The part that really blew my mind about this set is the price. I saw that it got listed on the LEGO shop and the price here in the US is $250 which is oddly the same as the 42099, but that one has >1k parts less and no license as well as the same number of electronic components. When I saw that the price was going to be 250EUR I assumed the US price would be $270 so I hesitated and bought the 42099 instead, but in retrospect I could've gotten a much better deal :(

Don't look at me mate, I got the 42099 for £100. :purrr:

42114 is good value for money when compared to 42099's RRP, especially considering it has double the parts and similar number of C+ components. And a license as well!

Volvo dump trucks at the huge new Amazone distribution warehouse being built on Tyneside.  Many other types of construction equipment on site.

50068308541_fcf96eea92_z.jpg

50068309151_04360afa15_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Just now, Doug72 said:

Volvo dump trucks at the huge new Amazone distribution warehouse being built on Tyneside.  Many other types of construction equipment on site.

Cool. Apparently, the A60H is going to see action on massive civil works such as HS2.

3 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Don't look at me mate, I got the 42099 for £100. :purrr:

I got it for like $170 I think lol

7 hours ago, Jundis said:

In my believe, prices of Lego sets with 1000+ pieces are totally random and just made up by the marketing department, ignoring price/parts or special components mostly, overpricing electronic components:

- Supercar Series: Will be build by new customers --> Overpriced.

- 42070 (250€ for 1862 pcs) vs 42082 (230€ for 4057 pcs), both have PF, don't tell me the IR and Controller are so expensive.

- 42110 (180€ for 2573 pcs) vs 42096 (150€ for 1580 pcs), both licenced cars

I agree with your opinion - it seems to be a mixed bag when it comes to the price. There's usually a linear correlation between the price and piece count, electronics, license, etc, but there's definitely outliers like the ones you mentioned.

I sense, beside the Lambo, the trailer (or hauler) of 42114 will provide MOCers plenty of pieces for a yellow (or orange-y) supercar mocs :laugh:

The model is not too different from real Volvo A60H, the cab should be lowered by 1 stud and the bonnet should be 1 stud higher on the back part. But the dump bed is 3 studs too high and 2 studs too large and 3 studs too long!

I used the wheels dimensions as reference.

prova_1.jpg

Edited by mpj

Why are you guys so obsessed with identity of the model?

I would buy it even if it weren't a copy of a real hauler. Its functions and overall quality are much more important.

Edited by Parazels

18 minutes ago, Parazels said:

I would buy it even if it weren't a copy of a real hauler. Its functions and overall quality are much more important.

Probably because being based on a real vehicle means it should be replicated as accurately as possible, otherwise there's no point in making a licensed set based on its real-life counterpart. I don't know if there's a good reason to departure from the dimensions of the real thing, maybe it just didn't look that good with correct dimensions of maybe there's some technical reason for it, but it's hard to believe they didn't try it. Maybe we'll see what happens when it's actually released and modders start to tinker with it. Of course almost every official set can be improved by modding but I'm curious how realistic proportions affect the looks of the set.

6 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Probably because being based on a real vehicle means it should be replicated as accurately as possible

I think it's more natural to require 100% identity from Creator Expert or Architecture sets.

Technic always was like a big framework that represents a common shape of some subject without minor details.

Being technical or authentic is good for me,  it's always set the bar high so that those Designer never lower their standard and the result will always be good for us 

1 minute ago, Parazels said:

I think it's more natural to require 100% identity from Creator Expert or Architecture sets.

Technic always was like a big framework that represents a common shape of some subject without minor details.

I think that is required for anything based on real-life, though with Technic the functions should still be the primary focus and looks should be secondary, but by no means irrelevant aspect. Most of the time functions and looks aren't conflicting too bad, though there usually seems to be room for improvement.

2 hours ago, Parazels said:

No obsession, just a suggestion how to improve proportions to look more like the real thing.

If you are an "expert eye" you notice immediately there is something wrong in the proportions, since the first images.

Of course if you like it as it is, leave it as it is, and we will be happy to mod it  ;-)

Size in LEGO

42030 in Hauler build. Length 52cm, width 17cm, height 22,5cm. Body, tires, warning beacon. I used a ruler on mine.

42114 in Hauler build: Length 60 or 61cm, width 23cm, height 22cm. Body, mirrors?, warning beacon?.

How about IRL?

42030 Hauler IRL. Length 10 218mm, width 2 859mm, height 3 451mm. Body, tires, exhaust pipe. Cabin roof 3 318mm.

42114 Hauler IRL: Length 12 225mm, width 3 884m m, height 3 852cm. Body, tires, cabin roof.

Tire info:

A25F: Unloaded machine with 23.5 R25. 

A60H: Unloaded machine with 33.25 R29.

So I would guess the scales of the machines are not the same in LEGO.

No B model for 42114? Interesting model, but economy might very well sadly say: Pass. Cheaper non technic models taking the priority.

/edit: The 42030 in Hauler mode has 1 axle less than the IRL machine.

Edited by Shiva

6 hours ago, mpj said:

The model is not too different from real Volvo A60H, the cab should be lowered by 1 stud and the bonnet should be 1 stud higher on the back part. But the dump bed is 3 studs too high and 2 studs too large and 3 studs too long!

Thank you for this comparison! I would even go so far to put the bonnet up 2 studs. Maybe this actually is the biggest problem of the overall look. The bed also starts 1 stud higher on the main frame, adding to this distorted dimensions. As I said earlier: I think Volvo insisted on displaying their logo on the dump bed as big as in the original, thats why Lego had to use the 5x11 panel instead of the 3x11 panel.

I think the model as a whole is just a bit too much stretched tall for me. But I am still quite impressed at how accurate the shaping is, especially around the bonnet area

Seeing the blueprints overlayed, now I understand why this set bugs me so much. The dump bed is just way too big, both in height and width, and the angle at the back is not replicated. The cab is also totally out of proportion, and both those things being out of proportion makes this set look really off. And for a licensed set, proportions that are off this bad are a major detriment to it. I'm not that much of a stickler, I'm okay with a licensed set not having the exact proportions of the real vehicle, but the fact that the scale is off this much, and in a way that does not even look good, is inexcusable. To make this even worse, there is no actual reason for this compromise. Some things may be off due to there being no way to build something that would still be durable or functional, but there is no reason for the cab to be too tall, as there are no mechanisms in it, same thing with the dump bed.