21 minutes ago, MajklSpajkl said:

OMG, the horror of the CAB proportions *oh2* The smart HUB should be somewhere else, now it dictates the roof height...

The cab is way too high.

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

102556041-140879737566288-46884899291800

The truck has misleading proportions on the photo. Look at the oval wheels!

Edited by Parazels

3 minutes ago, Parazels said:

The truck has misleading proportions on the photo. Look at the oval wheels!

Even so, the cab is just too high and looks unfinished.

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

Even so, the cab is just too high and looks unfinished.

I trust Lego designers. I'm sure the final result will blown your mind!

3 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I’m sorry, but that is not valid reasoning. There could be plenty of reasons why you haven’t seen improved MODs of MOCs of the 42082 here. Simply because you haven’t seen them, doesn’t mean that they don’t exist nor does it mean that the criticism of the original model was unjustified.

My comment is aimed at the haters that have nothing constructive to say.. those same people repeatedly claimed it was a terrible set because is could done better with 2k/2.5k/3k pieces. Now either those people are correct and can demonstrate that with a moc proving their own brilliance as lego designers, or they were noisy haters with nothing constructive to add. The lack of any moc's suggests they were just negative noise drowning out reasoned debate...

Difference of opinions is brilliant (unless you're a snowflake..), but mindless hating reduces the quality of the forum...so my point in not wanting a repeat of that is totally valid. And so far its all reasonable constructive debate which is what it should be.

Dump bed and cabin are one or two studs too high. If you don't use the stickers, it should not be that hard to fix.

Suspension: We will see.

For me it looks like a great, big, licenced toy. Child toy, not AFOL-toy.

14 minutes ago, Parazels said:

I trust Lego designers. I'm sure the final result will blown your mind!

Uh, we can see the final result. My mind is hardly blown.

3 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Uh, we can see the final result. My mind is hardly blown.

No that is not the final result. That's a fake image produced by haters or competitors! The magazine is fake, the toy fair photo is fake! #satire

I do like the set's appearance (even if its proportions aren't very accurate), but man you can really see the problems that arise when you settle for giant battery boxes because of an obsession to make everything in as few parts as possible. Flexibility is paramount, and PU doesn't really offer enough yet for its high cost.

Edited by Bartybum

5 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I do like the set's appearance (even if its proportions aren't very accurate), but man you can really see the problems that arise when you settle for giant battery boxes because of an obsession to make everything in as few parts as possible. Flexibility is paramount, and PU does not offer it yet.

Which means it shouldn't have been released yet. PF was perfect.

4 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Which means it shouldn't have been released yet. PF was perfect.

Personally, I don't think the problem is that it needs to be released all in one go to be good; I'm okay waiting a couple of years for it to fully flesh out. From what I've seen so far though, I can't imagine Lego releasing a power distributor piece, given that they can just charge people big bucks for an extra smart hub they don't need. It'd be nice to be able to only need one hub for five-eight motors.

I love the 42082 TLG just got lazy with the B model, I was not going to bother with 42070 but the wife got it me it ended up in my stash. 

This set next to 42030 yes i can see that happening. We might not see yellow in Technics again for a few years after this years binge.

I think it's not a subjective opinion when I say that PF was not perfect; if anything else, because of the outdated infrared-based communications.

Anyway, the C+ hub is slightly shorter, wider and taller than a PF AA box. Given that it replaces one battery box and two IR receivers (which, granted, can be positioned elsewhere and avoid having the bulk all in one place) plus includes an accelerometer/gyro combo and has the possibility open for a rechargeable pack instead of AAs, in my opinion this is a fair trade-off.

Untitled.thumb.png.c1de9f4338b90481a3fc0c5bac40191b.png

Edited by AVCampos
Clarification for "rechargeable pack"

Im thinking about rebuilding the rear half of my 42030 B into the rear half of 42114 instead of buying a new 42114.

49 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

in my opinion this is a fair trade-off.

I totally agree that it's a fair trade off, but only if you really need all those extra features and can afford to have it all in one space. This set's proportions seem to indicate that it didn't really have the space (not by much, but enough to notice).

It seems here that the only appropriate place to put the hub was behind the cabin, which ended up lifting its roof height. The only other place would be where 42030-B had it, ahead of the front axle. However, it doesn't look like there'd be enough room here, mainly because of the engine right above it. There's not really any other space in an articulated hauler that can accommodate the large cubic volume of the smart hub without interfering with another part.

Having the smart functions is awesome and really adds to the potential of a set, but forcing the electronics to occupy the same space as the batteries can end up tying your hands, especially if you're dealing with a narrow structure like in a hauler. Honestly, I think the electronics should have had their own piece like a flat IR receiver, being powered by a simple battery box. Basically PF but updated.

Edited by Bartybum

54 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Im thinking about rebuilding the rear half of my 42030 B into the rear half of 42114 instead of buying a new 42114.

That could be interesting choice

Now cab does not look so tall...anyway wonder if there is a fake engine inside...but it only adds friction...

3 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Now cab does not look so tall...anyway wonder if there is a fake engine inside...but it only adds friction...

And the fake engine has to be transverse as well

I tried to do an overlay comparison with this side-view from the catalog (that was edited by @Erik Leppen) vs the illustrated side-view from the A60H official catalog.

On the top, I scaled the illustrated view to match the height of the Lego cab. It's hard to tell, but with this scaling, the height of hood is far too low and needs to be raised by at least 1, maybe 2, studs. You can also see that the wheel base needs to increase. With this scaling, the tires are not large enough on 42114, but interestingly, the length of the hood is correct.

On the bottom, I scaled the illustration to match the OD of the tires on 42114. In this scaling, you can see the wheel base more closely matches, and the height of the hood is correct, but the length of the hood is now too long, and the cab is much too high, possibly 3 studs. I can't make any determination on the height of the bed since it's elevated, but I imagine it's too high as well.

In both scalings, the shape of the hood and lower front bodywork seems incorrect -- the hood should be more curved, could use 2 18944s (3x13 curved panel); and the slope of the lower bodywork should be steeper (it almost doesn't look like there's any slope at all).

qsbcCmK.png

Edited by mkbryant

Whilst I no doubt agree with everyones feelings about the cab being too high, I think on of the bigger issues are the hand rails although true to the machine being bright orange, are a bit overpowering.  Maybe if they were not so chunky in looks, this would help.