Sign in to follow this  
Wardancer

Gargoyle Weatherans (using painted-over stickers)

Gargoyle Weatherans (using painted-over stickers)

49450325952_446b2cfb89_b.jpgGargoyle Weatherans by MWardancer, auf Flickr

Not only have these weathered veterans of the Gargoyle realm fought countless battles, but also they have successfully overcome the most vicious enemy of all: the merciless decay of time. Withstanding the aeons has made Weatherans virtually  impossible to kill. The youngest threat, the brief flickr that is human civilisation with its shortlived ambitions and restless cities, does not bother these grandiose granite beings. Immune to evanescence Weatherans stand while empires rise and fall.

Customization Notes - These were a lot of work.
- Painting over stickers! This is the first time I have painted semi-glossy over LEGO stickers. It reduces the amount of reflections significantly, which is one of the main flaws of using stickers. It does bring the troubles of painting large surfaces though. It is hard to achieve an even surface.
- Chipping Away. I have used a knife to mutilate the figs a little to achieve an aged look. You cannot overdo it though or else you expose hollow parts, which is not realistic for a solid gargoyle.
- wings and swords are from Brickwarriors, painted gray, then dark green, then dotted, then painted semi-glossy
- the wings are attached by drilling holes into the figs

Edited by Wardancer

Generally speaking I'm a Purist, but these really look great!  The paint works very well and the overall effect from "chipping away" at them is nice.  I don't like the chunks taken off at the top of the legs near the hip joint, though - at first glance it almost makes it look like the leg is rotated out of the socket or something.  I think a little less material removed there would look better.  But still, a lovely looking set of gargoyles!  :classic:

51 minutes ago, deraven said:

Generally speaking I'm a Purist, but these really look great!  The paint works very well and the overall effect from "chipping away" at them is nice.  I don't like the chunks taken off at the top of the legs near the hip joint, though - at first glance it almost makes it look like the leg is rotated out of the socket or something.  I think a little less material removed there would look better.  But still, a lovely looking set of gargoyles!  :classic:

Thank you! I am not sure about the legs myself. It is one of the few places where you can remove a lot of material without hitting a hollow space, so I tried. Maybe I was too lazy to try again. :classic:

25 minutes ago, Wardancer said:

I am not sure about the legs myself.

Overall I think they look good.  The faceted cuts on the "feet" and outside edges look like they were molded that way and remind me of some of the Power Miners creatures with the crystal/stone sort of effect which is basically what you were going for here so I think that's a good thing.  :thumbup:

Awesome figs.  Your attention to detail is superb.  I like the chipping away detail the most for the weathered look.