Sign in to follow this  
1980SomethingSpaceGuy

[TC17] Apocalypse Scrambler

Hi and thanks for this contest idea, it's great!

I'm a big fan of Mad Max, so I had to take part: absurdly overpowered engines, off-road capability and possibly weapons? I'm in.

I love building bikes, and those contests always lack bikes, so a motorcycle it had to be.
I wanted a shaft driven single swing arm because it allows for quick wheel change and the absence of a chain is a good thing when riding sand. Also, I packed the beefiest power unit possible; a quad flat twin. That's right; 8 cylinders in a cube layout. Flat twins are proven, reliable pieces of motorcycle machinery, why not stack them instead of just using a car's engine? Finally, I added a nitro tank for that extra speed spike that will leave everyone biting my dust. Yeah, and also some ways to retaliate; explosive and smoke grenades in the back, and a large caliber gun to go.

It's getting near finished, sorry for the poor quality photos, didn't have time to set-up a correct shooting session yet.

y4ms7Rv_4LTtCVvmUmbe_LRo5laMNDcztYIc8bLC

y4mK2Rlq5SdguNPMqN0SPqUXdiQNMwEj3pQpmu8x

Thanks for watching!

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy

Nice motorcycle.

Can You show more of engine, how those cylinders are working together? Is there just some gears between two blocks, or what?

Thanks! :sweet:

The layout is basically 2 flat fours in vertical position, connected together by 2 24 tooth classic wheels on top. The front engine is then connected to the transmission shaft below by a 12 tooth bevel on a 20 tooth wheel. Nothing complicated, really.

Initially, I wanted to have a gearbox, but that was too hard to cram in that tiny space. So I just made something that simply works. I'll add more pictures soon.

Oh you stole my idea! :D  (I also tried working on a special kind of bike like a scrambler, but wouldn't have enough time to finish it after all...)

I really like the overall look! Maybe you can make it look even more "evil" and maybe a little more fit for the apocalypse? Like adding some jerry cans, tool or something like that? :-)

Also the headlight seem to be a bit small, maybe the one on my bike is too big though :D

Thanks! I'm sorry to you hear you won't be submitting another bike, I love seeing fresh bike builds!

I'll try and take your suggestions into account. More evilness could definitely be a nice touch. :devil_laugh:

Yeah, that's what I though at first about the headlight. But then it grew on me, and this kinda inadequate looks match the theme in my opinion. Plus, the next available round piece would be 3x3 which would clearly be over sized. And I've tried with a rectangular 3x2 composite, but it's not as sturdy and doesn't look better in the end.

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

OK, clear, I was hoping for something more interesting :wink:

I wish I could have come up with something more interesting too... But there really ain't much room in there. So I focused more on the looks. I love the exhaust pipes!

Seriously, the Technic aspect I'm most happy with on this build is the rear single arm. They're not easy to do; they tend to twist. This one does not. It's firm, compact and, having 2 cardans, homokinetic. Woot! :blush:

Nice motorcycle, any chance to share the digital file?

That would go nice to display.

10 hours ago, Clawp said:

Nice motorcycle, any chance to share the digital file?

That would go nice to display.

Thanks ! 

I have to create it in the first place, but yes, why not? I'll do it for the final model, ok?

4 hours ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

Thanks ! 

I have to create it in the first place, but yes, why not? I'll do it for the final model, ok?

Sure, thanks. Good luck in the competition.

I've added apocalypse accessories. A jerrycan (as Jundis pointed out, it's always safe to have a bit extra range), a saddle bag for all that stuff you need to have at hand, and a minelayer device. I figured laying mines made more sense for a fast, lightweight machine rather than mounting big guns, harpoons or whatever.

y4mQunGgcC67JBnJdI1IiPhRzVTR2tRLoByvW6jB

y4mL33WLV2jzt0R9o1A0WuqJjNdcIZ46J__O-Up9

What do you think?

Thank you ! :sweet:

I switched the side stand from right to left as it should be, added a second suspension spring on the swing arm and changed a few parts' color here and there. 

I also wanted to update the minelayer's release mechanism to drop one at a time instead of all at once, but haven't come to something satisfying yet. The big bore gun, on the other hand, got an upgrade to a sniper rifle with scope, which is more to my taste.

I really need to start ordering for parts :D this motorcycle is killing me

The level of details and the awesome aspect of the bike is awesome.

The colors blend so well.

(not for competition) But how hard it would be to add some covers to the engine ? so its only accessible on demand?

Thanks! :sweet:

You may remove top exhausts and use panels 13 & 14 on the sides, they would fit quite well (sorry, I only have black at hand):

y4mPf2UVJeNQMgrGoh_-PIXozSHV0OZG6XpYU9_f

That should give your build a more civilized looks.

Good idea to use the 13/14 panels. I went into the stud.io and look at some tiles 1 x 4 or something similar, but that might not look as good as the panels.

I figured I'd like a more detailed motor. But since there's only so much room in there, that would be at the cost of some of the cylinders. 

I started building a camshaft and push rod valves and it became obvious that I only could keep 2 cylinders. 

I managed to get a correct 2:1 ratio with the crankshaft, but the timing can't be perfect. That's the new block:

y4mInZdGU5UV-OTvfguwtNbGT8KPFVJoM7WPUyy5

y4m-pU3COvlPOsO8BPdYYxWsm7ru8l2K64xu2L_V

y4mDFoqSUDbPJiVCfl19-EUDB_U-n_vvPxjQlDTC

y4m5ogy0d_UwJCNcjthxXGEqMqQo2jQrj8OfclB0

It's a bit less absurd, but a nice lot more Technic.. 

Engine swapped. 

y4m8Hh_UyDs7WPpgVbbdVFwbLcB_wMIaQqF42YeE

y4mqAql_b_0s_r_pQrXVEqYP161vDJsbleNrrXAq

..but honestly, I don't like it. The valve mechanism prevents it to run smooth, and I had to tweak the frame a bit in a way that I'm not really happy with.

I think I'd rather keep it smooth and totally absurd, fits more to the theme. 

On 2/6/2020 at 5:49 PM, Clawp said:

The old engine was looking better in my opinion...

Thanks for your feedback. I totally agree.

I put the old block back on, fine tuned a few more details and took a few more shots. 

y4mbxWQYWJ3APCMVM3FOwyfiqj42dgNft8NKtCCW

y4mCqeOzI4eysDsTH4mozY5PPwoMXzfog5QTM0rR

y4mwS4gcgh960sJyAic6auYd1c-bpZ1Mjy_KTLgt

y4mj8WdjRd0XhZ85bHmXysC62VXkSQamctqaDW8z

y4muPanC3R1-oTx09sPNZVg4un2QaaIha12HM2sR

y4myNbFCD6skNXrHZIDCoPDOHEVmKzqDjRHY5BPK

New pics

After a few hours' flight with Studio 2.0, I have to say this soft is really good!

The renders take an awful lot of time on my old laptop, but they look great!

y4mQ8R4jKr0_oyyTSUOXUAp_dNC8Tqoc8q_F0O4N

New pic