Medzomorak

Any old Lego store display photos?

Found myself on this brickset thread and got very excited. I thought it would be interesting if we could gather as many old photos from old stores full of vintage sets as we can. So if you have anything, please share it with us.

9oiv0hc9smx2.jpgqfqcig5fqp5e.jpg
13bhecxmn765.jpgyk3ihg74m8wk.jpg

bcnv0sdf2jnt.jpgLego display from 1976

From this century:

Képtalálat a következőre: „lego store 2001”LEGO-4709-Hogwarts-Castle-Harry-Potter-2001-Set-Found-in-2015-at-ToysRUs.jpg

Kapcsolódó képKapcsolódó kép

Of course these are just taken from the internet. Back in the days as a kid I did not have any chance to start documenting but some of you maybe still have a couple photos taken as adults. It's a pity though, I clearly have memories from 1998 Tesco visits, when the shelves were full of the Egypt Adventurer and Batlord sets. Not my favorite era but I would still love to go back just to awe at the displays again.

P.S.
Also don't forget to apply for the Toys R Us Credit Card!!

Edited by Medzomorak

@Medzomorak - Those first 2 or 3 photos got me very excited indeed.

I know it's a bit sad, but I've actually had dreams where I've gone back to my childhood, but with the mind and wallet of an adult, during a visit to Toys 'R' Us or Hamley's Toy Store and just buying all of my favourite Castle and Classic Space sets.

Then I woke up before I could check out.

Edited by leafan

Those top pictures certainly capture a different era, before Licensed and oversized boxes.

Many different vehicles being sold as single small boxes , many Town Buildings on shelves.

Basic being just that, really basic about mostly a few colors, but very useful to expand on other themes.

Castle and Space using different backgrounds makes them immediately noticable as well, the yellow sky for Castle and the black Space.

I do see those sets which were new in 1986 :

6360-1.jpg6985-1.jpg6074-1.jpg

1987 introduced Futuron and Blacktron and Forestmen , based on not seeing those it most likely is 1986.

Edited by TeriXeri

Man, those top photos are :wub_drool:... Shelves full of brand new Classic Space, Castle, Fabuland... <faints>

Those aren't very old, but here is what I was able to find:

Image result for lego store shelves

I can't believe it's nearly a decade already since those sets were on shelves...

Edited by Lego David

The top left hand corner photo is just great: the famous 6067 Guarded Inn (which I wanted so much but never got) and one of the last sets I got before my dark ages began, the 6055 Prisoner Convoy.

17 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Many different vehicles being sold as single small boxes ,

I remember them well - I spent all my allowance on them.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:25 PM, leafan said:

@Medzomorak - Those first 2 or 3 photos got me very excited indeed.

I know it's a bit sad, but I've actually had dreams where I've gone back to my childhood, but with the mind and wallet of an adult, during a visit to Toys 'R' Us or Hamley's Toy Store and just buying all of my favourite Castle and Classic Space sets.

Noooooo. I know we are living first world problems while dying out of global epidemics, but that's the saddest thing I read today so far.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:59 AM, Lego David said:

Those aren't very old, but here is what I was able to find:

I can't believe it's nearly a decade already since those sets were on shelves...

Thx for the contribution, every bit of snapshot is welcomed :) Also yeah, those Atlantis sets must look like vintage stuff for youngsters already, yikes.

On 1/28/2020 at 2:05 AM, Fugazi said:

Man, those top photos are :wub_drool:... Shelves full of brand new Classic Space, Castle, Fabuland... <faints>

I know :grin_wub:

Some whistleblower must have leaked photos from Heaven.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, Trekkie99 said:

Cool. :wub:

Short and consise. Couldn't have said any better good sir :wink:

On 1/27/2020 at 10:33 PM, TeriXeri said:

1987 introduced Futuron and Blacktron and Forestmen , based on not seeing those it most likely is 1986.

Oh man, those times must have been great for a kid. Going to see Alien movies and check out Lego stores after. :rofl:

Edited by Medzomorak

On 1/27/2020 at 2:25 PM, leafan said:

I've actually had dreams where I've gone back to my childhood, but with the mind and wallet of an adult, during a visit to Toys 'R' Us or Hamley's Toy Store and just buying all of my favourite Castle and Classic Space sets.

I've had recurring dreams like that for years, except the toy store in the dream always has shelves and shelves of 2001 Toa and 1999 Star Wars.

Edited by icm

In my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide, I have 2 additional chapters on LEGO retailer items... one chapter is glued display models (1958-present), and the other is on LEGO retailer displays.... (1955-present).

Here's a few... 2 images of a 1967 USA Samsonite retailer LEGO display...

8290037728_c9cf2a337d_b.jpg

8290036850_debd101020_b.jpg

Here is some mid 1970s LEGO shelves, from a toy retailer magazine image showing how much retailers can earn selling LEGO.

8277122670_fff72e67bb_o.jpg

1960 Odense Denmark toy retailer display window...

8295580873_4ffd834c62_o.jpg

1955 Goteburg Sweden department store LEGO display counter...

8506002014_733ed2abca_o.jpg

1960s UK LEGO glued window display  models...

40182816995_b738fae16c_b.jpg

1970s European glued display castle...

40079137854_2810d4e9b8_b.jpg

Over 100 different (mostly more recent) images in my collectors guide.... :wink:

OMG! The first 4 pictures.... :wub_drool::wub: My childhood on a shelf :laugh_hard: Thank you for sharing!

TLG should REALLY fulfill my ultimate dream; Make a "Lego Retro"-theme and re-release sets like that, just as it was.