Sign in to follow this  
Paperinik77pk

[MOC] - Old trams in 1:32 scale

Hi all,

looking at my old Ldraw projects I found a very easy Tram design, made by Basic bricks (dated 2012). It was an idea for a Christmas "rail thing" to be run under the tree, and it was never developed.

Luckily I could import it in Stud.io and work on it. I kept the Lego Basic shape, since it has the simplicity I need for outside operation in the garden.

The original design was based on the Milan Tram - series 600 and 700, which had two axles. The 1500 series used two bogies and were much longer. I recalculated the scale in 1:32, keeping the width and adapting the lenght of chassis and body,

Tram 1:32 - 2 Axles

It's realy really basic, and has a really generic tram shape, which allows different "styles".  This one above has a roof top structure for advertising like old Milan green trams (the top part is white, since light green parts are really too expensive).

One positive thing is that I can paint it as I like, add or remove details. This one above is colored some Genova-Casella trains :wub:)

And here's the "exploded" view. Power Functions, PuP, 9v old motors - it can be moved by any motor with proper gearing.

Then, after some work on the small version, I wanted some more...and created the bogie version:

Lego Old Tram 1:32

Which is similar and shares the same simplicity of the smaller version. It only required a bit of redesign for the chassis :laugh::

Bogies are the most strange part - they do not use turntables and they are monolithic. They turn thanks to the round bricks sliding inside the square hole in the chassis. It's a design I've thought some time ago for 1:22.5 scale trains, but I thought it could nicely fit here.

The rear bogie (Red) is powered, but in case more power or traction is needed (e.g. a "mountain" tramway), both bogies can be motorized.

The battery box is hosted in a small chassis that can slide inside the chassis and can be locked in place.

The black bottom cover can be removed, the yellow supports can be folded inside and the battery will slide out of the chassis. (note: I modified the folding parts reducing them from 4 to 2 - I did not recreate the rendering since it took 20 minutes!!! *huh*)

Again, colors and details can be added or removed to slightly change the aspect of the tram :sweet::

The idea is to run them in my garden, as a "forest" tramway, like I've seen in some Youtube videos :wub:

There's possibility for some interior lights, and the front window is free for a micro camera.

I hope you like it! :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide