howitzer

Which panels exist in which colours?

... Is probably a question that has crossed the minds of many people, me included, while planning the exterior design of their MOCs. So I created a spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MdCtQMN_kaaMzyWy_blFLJNzT05f4dCxXS1Nx3DhfDU/edit?usp=sharing

I listed every part in the BL "Technic, Panel" category and their known colours (according to BL names and colour codes) and marked it on the list. Some parts are probably pretty uninteresting to most builders, while others may be quite rare so this is not a guide on how to use the panels, but with this list you can easily check if the panel types you need exist in the colour scheme of your choice.

Oh man, if I would get a cent for every time this question crossed my mind, I would be rich by now...:wacko:

Great work putting this list together:thumbup:! Are you also planning on keeping this updated when new panels/colors are released? Or was it a one-time effort (I'm fine either way, just asking)?

I think I will include this in the Technic Index under notable topics, this will be helpful to a lot of people.

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

Oh man, if I would get a cent for every time this question crossed my mind, I would be rich by now...:wacko:

Great work putting this list together:thumbup:! Are you also planning on keeping this updated when new panels/colors are released? Or was it a one-time effort (I'm fine either way, just asking)?

I think I will include this in the Technic Index under notable topics, this will be helpful to a lot of people.

I'll think of updating when new panels are released (not sure how to get the relevant information, as I don't buy most of the sets) but I want to keep it up to date. You're of course free to copy the sheet and maintain your own list.

25 minutes ago, M_longer said:

I'd go for bigger miniatures for the panels.

I thought of that, but enlarging the photo makes the list a lot longer and with the small images the whole sheet can still be viewed on a typical computer monitor. I think the names are descriptive enough with the small images.

I went a bit and looked at the Rebrickable API and made some calls and found out that you could query the colors of certain pieces.

curl https://rebrickable.com/api/v3/lego/parts/24119/colors/?key=[INSERT_YOUR_REBRICKABLE_API_KEY] > 24119.json

as a test I looked at https://rebrickable.com/parts/24119

The response includes more colors than they actually are (like "Light Turquoise"), but there is some info that could be used to filter out these.

"color_name": "Red",
"num_sets": 3,
"num_set_parts": 10,
"elements": ["6227232"]

num_sets/num_set_parts must be > 0 or the presence of the elements array (don't really know what that means at the moment)

If there is a need for this, I could make a script in the next few days that would gather all available colors for any list of items and provide the result in an agreeable format html/ csv ... maybe excel format if possible.

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

Thank You!

If there was also link to bricklink and/or brickowl ...

just to the piece or to the piece+color?

First to piece, later, If You had willingnes and time (as this just Your iniciative), then also to each color. 

Of course, You could propose to bricklink, that they implement this kind of functionality. 

and then not only for panels, for some other part types also.

Super handy scheme. Thanks for making it. This could prove useful.

Two little feedbacks:

1. could you put the old numbered panels (#1, #2, etc.) together and the new numbered panels together? I.e. break with the alphabetic ordering? I think this makes more sense if you're looking for a suitable color for a model.

2. could you pin the top row, so when scrolling down, the colorlist is still in view?

10 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

1. could you put the old numbered panels (#1, #2, etc.) together and the new numbered panels together? I.e. break with the alphabetic ordering? I think this makes more sense if you're looking for a suitable color for a model.

2. could you pin the top row, so when scrolling down, the colorlist is still in view?

Yeah, that would be a great icing for that wonderful cake! Thank you a lot @howitzer!

I created the a web app (inside a codepen, the whole code is there if anyone is interested/ wanna be sure i don't do weird stuff with your api token).

full code version -> https://codepen.io/boicu_petronel/pen/JjoVJNy

https://codepen.io/boicu_petronel/full/JjoVJNy

Note that if you provide an invalid Rebrickable API KEY or you reached the "Too Many Requests" the application might crash leaving a blank screen.

I left a "default" list of parts... for test purposes.

The app is not aesthetically pleasing nor bug-proof... feel free to report any bugs or improvements to be made.

I will continue to add support for links to Bricklink/BrickOwl and some pictures there...

Ok, the colour row is now pinned so that it's always visible when scrolling. I also updated the descriptions to include a link to BL.

I also rearranged the list a bit so that mirrored versions of each panel are right next to each other.

I have updated the app to show a tooltip with the part image and added links to bricklink/brickowl

I have added a couple of previously missing colour variants and made some minor readability upgrade.

As for the new colours in the upcoming 2H sets, I'll update those when the sets are officially released.

This year's new panels have finally been added to Bricklink so I updated the list. Notify me if you find any errors and I'll fix them.

7 hours ago, howitzer said:

This year's new panels have finally been added to Bricklink so I updated the list. Notify me if you find any errors and I'll fix them.

I think I found an error in the list. Panels #3 and #4 are available in bright green, but not available in bright light orange.

1 hour ago, kodlovag said:

I think I found an error in the list. Panels #3 and #4 are available in bright green, but not available in bright light orange.

You're right, thanks! It's fixed now.

@howitzer Honest question: What is your definition of "exist"? Is it "has appeared in a set" or "genuine parts available on BrickLink" or something else?

These definitions are not equivalent. For example, panel 11954 has not appeared in Lime yet is available on BrickLink.

16 minutes ago, astyanax said:

@howitzer Honest question: What is your definition of "exist"? Is it "has appeared in a set" or "genuine parts available on BrickLink" or something else?

These definitions are not equivalent. For example, panel 11954 has not appeared in Lime yet is available on BrickLink.

I attempted to list every panel as they appear in BL's Known Colors-category. That one is not listed there so as far as my list is concerned, it doesn't exist.

3 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I attempted to list every panel as they appear in BL's Known Colors-category. That one is not listed there so as far as my list is concerned, it doesn't exist.

Fair enough! I think this is a great resource that you've put together, and I'm just trying to think with you. :sweet:

On that note, have you considered including those two "Bionicle" pieces that are often used as Technic panels?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=61800#T=C
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=x346#T=C

1 minute ago, astyanax said:

Fair enough! I think this is a great resource that you've put together, and I'm just trying to think with you. :sweet:

On that note, have you considered including those two "Bionicle" pieces that are often used as Technic panels?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=61800#T=C
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=x346#T=C

I decided to limit this list to BL's "Technic, Panel"-category, because I really have to draw the line somewhere and that's the most obvious place where to draw it. That's why I didn't include flexible axles or ribbed hoses either, even if they are used a lot for similar purposes.