Midlife-crisis

What is your favorite UCS Set of all time?

Out of the ones I own I'd definitely have to say the Slave. The Lambda Shuttle would be a close second. 

as much as i think the executor gets to much hate...yea...also slave one ucs set here

It is amazing how many details they fit in it, and it is minifigure scaled, and got interior, which i love.

I find the curves on the tail end of the base of Slave I a bit blobby, more like a hematite nodule than a smooth, sleek spaceship... aside from both editions of the MF of course, I'll have to go with the revised X-wing and the original Y-wing.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:07 AM, Lexington said:

By looks, imperial shuttle.

Build, MF.

^Exactly my thoughts. Then Slave 1.

On 1/27/2020 at 7:56 PM, Bartybum said:

Lol, would people even agree with that? DS seems to be a pretty popular set, if only for its minifigs

If we’re strictly taking “most unliked builds” it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch, for me I found most of it to be straightforward and boring. 

To answer the question of my favourite UCS set it’s kind of hard to not give it to the Falcon... that’s potentially the greatest set of all time, period. Ignoring the Falcon I’ve gotta give it to R2-D2. The ISD is also amazing on display. 

Slave I is fantastic too, not surprised to see a lot of love for it here. The 2018 Y-wing is one of the best sets available to buy right now. As for sets I don’t have, I’ve seen the Imperial Shuttle and B-wing at some conventions and they are both awesome. The old Naboo Starfighter with the chrome pieces deserves a mention as well.

Just now, Brikkyy13 said:

I’ve seen the Imperial Shuttle and B-wing at some conventions and they are both awesome.

I had the B-Wing but there were so many things that bothered me about it I eventually took it apart. It hasn’t aged well I think. Looked like a poor cousin next to other UCS sets. The more recent system scale set is actually a better looking model to me. 

That would be a decent set for Lego to give a full redesign. 

Out of all the UCS sets I own this is my personal order in terms of building, display and enjoyment of each set.

1. 2018 Y-Wing

2. Slave-1

3. 2017 Millennium Falcon

Now before I get linched, I adore the UCS Millennium Falcon. But it's a very stressful build and it takes up so much room. The other UCS sets I own are both a pleasure to build and easy to move about and display. Y-Wing edges out for me because not only is it a pleasure to build (I love the greebling on this set) it is also brilliant to view from all angles and I can swoosh it without fear of any part of the build falling off. 

Edited by ChemicalWorld

7 hours ago, TwoSolitudes said:

I had the B-Wing but there were so many things that bothered me about it I eventually took it apart. It hasn’t aged well I think. Looked like a poor cousin next to other UCS sets. The more recent system scale set is actually a better looking model to me. 

That would be a decent set for Lego to give a full redesign. 

What didn't you like about it? I'm considering getting it because it looks very striking but if there's something big that I'm missing I may reconsider.

8 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

What didn't you like about it? I'm considering getting it because it looks very striking but if there's something big that I'm missing I may reconsider.

Cockpit design is really pretty poor (you have to take it apart to open it). It's also the wrong shape and wrong size. 

Even light dusting it caused it to fall apart. Particularly around the cockpit.

The stand design was not great, required the set to actually lean on the ground, and that caused some bending. 

Underside of the wings are not finished and easy to see.  

There was more, but that was more than enough to make it annoying. And sitting next to the UCS Snowspeeder and Y-Wing it jut looked (to me) like an obviously a second rate effort. The short window of availability for it tells me I was not alone. I think they did a nice job on the main body and the build on that was interesting, but the rest was a let down. I love the ship, but in the end I just couldn't stand the model. 

Just my opinion of course.

I brink linked it (thank goodness) so I didn't pay too much and that made the decision to use it for parts easier.