mahjqa

[MOC] Porsche 911 Powered Up (Now finally with video!)

I think we can all agree that Lego's own 42109 Top Gear Rally thing wasn't really all that. In order to improve it a bit I set out to build a rather popular car with it. Turns out someone beat me to the punch :grin: 

49440217008_ae2548654f_o.gif 

49440224763_e6b0e3e57d.jpg

Some trickery was used to create the GIF- the Porsche itself is stationary, while the light moves. 

49440697986_bbe82a5613.jpg

Functionally, the model is identical to the 42109, with some added lights. Luckily, performance has been improved by using Imurvai's Brickcontroller app. In a pinch, Lego's own app will work as well if you don't mind about the lights staying off. The dimensions are the based on the 42093 Corvette, so it should work with the 42098 car transporter.

49440219868_9e47ccf7cc.jpg

Underside with differential. (What, like it's hard?) Also note the extremely tidy cable management :wink:

Given my typical production speed I should have a video out somewhere around christmas. 

Edited by mahjqa

that's awesome. Great rendition of the original and nicely done as an alternative model.

Edited by bonox

49593552017_166295e119.jpg

Still tinkering with it. The orange one is a bit faster (1:3 speedup from the XL motor) but it relies on a 8z gear, so I don't really trust that...

So, it took a while, but I finally got the video together: 

Warning: Dangerously 80s.

I've uploaded a Stud.io file to http://www.vayamenda.com , so you can build your own. Without modification you can build it in orange and white, and with some part substitutions Dark Azure and Red are possible as well. 

(I've edited the first post to include it as well)

Edited by mahjqa

Looks great!

Does the app give extra speed to the motors? I'm wondering if my 42099 can get a speed boost too.

18 hours ago, amorti said:

Looks great!

Does the app give extra speed to the motors? I'm wondering if my 42099 can get a speed boost too.

Thanks! I don't know about 42099, but Lego's own Control+ app is pretty bad for the 42109; it artificially puts limits on acceleration and power. I recommend trying out brickcontroller2 or another app.