Sign in to follow this  
Enrico7676

Bahnbetriebswerk NeuKirche.

Just realized I never posted this project of mine on this forum. Bahnbetriebswerk Neukirche a 3 year long, layout project.

48957632313_95014f594d_c.jpgA couple of pictures showing the Bahnbetriebswerk Neukirche in action at LegoWorld 2019.   It was really busy in at the Bahnbetriebswerk. A lot of quest locomotives and wagons including 3 TRAXX locomotives. by Enrico Lussi, on Flickr

A Bahnsbetriebswerk is the German equivalent of a railway depot. But since its German it’s bigger, and more efficient. A Bahnsbetriebswerk (Bhw for short) comes in different sizes and with different functions, but most of them have at least some type of turntable with an engine shed or roundhouse. Mostly they also house a few factories, the obvious storage and cranes for coal and of course water towers. So, in short, a Bhw houses everything a locomotive needs to be able to fully function as a main line steam engine.  

48957644548_9e0c161aca_c.jpgA couple of pictures showing the Bahnbetriebswerk Neukirche in action at LegoWorld 2019.   It was really busy in at the Bahnbetriebswerk. A lot of quest locomotives and wagons including 3 TRAXX locomotives. by Enrico Lussi, on Flickr

48958222181_090071b17a_c.jpgA couple of pictures showing the Bahnbetriebswerk Neukirche in action at LegoWorld 2019.   It was really busy in at the Bahnbetriebswerk. A lot of quest locomotives and wagons including 3 TRAXX locomotives. by Enrico Lussi, on Flickr

I decided to first start working on a turntable that would get a prominent feature in my Bhw. In total I have built 5 versions with the first 2 being motorized.  However, the biggest problem with motorizing the turntable was that I was still building in the MILS standard, and that my engines are so heavy that it would need a lot of power. After the first attempt I decided to give up the MILS standard and go for MILS+ 1 brick in height. After the second attempted left me with broken technic parts and a lot of frustration I decided to build a “dummy” version with the ability to motorize it sometime in the future.

48958198381_b2b695afe9_c.jpgA couple of pictures showing the Bahnbetriebswerk Neukirche in action at LegoWorld 2019.   It was really busy in at the Bahnbetriebswerk. A lot of quest locomotives and wagons including 3 TRAXX locomotives. by Enrico Lussi, on Flickr

I have spent a total of 3 years on this project, and I did mutiple revisit's to this project. But now it's time to do a major revisit, so I dicided to break down the entire layout and start something new, more about that in the near future. 

49374596972_b5e18a080b_c.jpgThe End of Bahnbetriebswerk NeuKirche. by Enrico Lussi, on Flickr

For more behind the scene story check out the BMR article: https://brickmodelrailroader.com/index.php/2019/06/06/the-design-of-bhw-neukirche-by-enrico-lussi/

For more pictures, showing the progress and the Bhw in action: 

I like it, and it is huge

I have myself built something similar with motorized points and turntable, all PF controlled. Still sitting in some boxes somewhere, as the project lost momentum. But that is the beauty of this hobby. When the wind blows in the other direction, it is time to demolish some old moc for a brighter future of a new one....:laugh:

Happy building

WIP train yard with turntable etc

On 1/27/2020 at 3:42 PM, baard said:

I like it, and it is huge

I have myself built something similar with motorized points and turntable, all PF controlled. Still sitting in some boxes somewhere, as the project lost momentum. But that is the beauty of this hobby. When the wind blows in the other direction, it is time to demolish some old moc for a brighter future of a new one....:laugh:

Happy building

WIP train yard with turntable etc

Thanks! Really like the look of your turntable, looks really smooth and realistic, got any more pictures of it? 

12 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Wow, that is an amazing layout, very impressive

Thanks!

Very impressive, and not only because of the size of it. It looks very complete and detailed. I really like the catenary and the signalling tower. They make it perfect.

20 hours ago, baard said:

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Very impressive, and not only because of the size of it. It looks very complete and detailed. I really like the catenary and the signalling tower. They make it perfect.

Thank you! The details is one of most important things in my opinion.