Aurore

[MOC WIP] Horgaard Hall

Very exciting!  I love watching the building progress.  The slopes and curves on the roofline are great, and you have a very good eye for decoration.  I will point out that the roof is Avalonian colored, however... a little nod to your neighbors in the south? :laugh:  The braziers lighting the porch are a nice touch as well.  Enjoying watching this progress!

@Eoin Wallace Thank you very much!

@Grover Thank you, I'm really glad you like the roof! And yes, those are genuine Avalonian glazed tiles. The manufacturer guaranteed they will withstand the Mitgardian winter. :sweet:
Thankfully, Horgaard is located in southern Mitgardia, not so far from Avalonia. Otherwise, the shipping costs would have been horrific!

Edited by Aurore

This is a really creative way to show a WIP! As for the model itself, there is very little I can say about this that hasn't already been said. Everything from the roofing to the wood work is fantastic, and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Chapter 4. Construction delays
Previous 

I've been living between two houses for quite a few months now. Most non-essential stuff is packed and patiently waiting for the moving day, including photography equipment and LEGO.
Except from the ongoing build of the Horgaard Hall. I've already moved it, in a dedicated box, and it's currently feeling lonely in the closet of my future LEGO room. 

Progress had been made during the summer, with a draft of the interior and new colors for the roof.
And now, it's also covered in dust - just like everything in the new house during the renovation...

50866287783_dc07f3bcd6_b.jpg

50866993311_9fa6c9a2ea_b.jpg

PS : yes, that's my sigfig, sporting a new dress, a new head new makeup and a new hairstyle, because the original minifig is packed...Vigi the dog, though, does not like being locked up in a box and escaped before I could pack him.

Edited by Aurore

That's awesome, love the woodwork and fireplaces! Also, the colors on the roof work out surprisingly well!

Looking great so far! The roof turned out nicely, and I like the curved design that you put at the center of the floor and the light-up fireplace! I also like how you used the sideways 1 x 2 bricks in the "walls"!

I know what it's like to have slow progress on a build. I'm in college, so there are large amounts of time where I am away from home (and my LEGO collection) - I can only build during vacations. Good luck on the moving process! 

This is looking great so far!  I love those firepits, and that rug!

This looks simply phenomenal, Aurore!
I'm in love with this woodwork. Very Danish and very Mitgardian.
The timber mix on the walls running horizontally and vertically are amazing! I'm impressed with the reading area on the second floor. Northmen and women must study western customs, aye.
Those tooth candles are outstanding, too. And the fact that the hearths light up is jaw-dropping. 
Skol, Lady Aurore, for an amazing looking hall so far!

Beautiful!  I love the detail here, from the fire pit, the food, the ornamentation on the walls... and the rug is really spectacular.  I look forward to seeing Horgaard hall progress further!

I like the scrollwork on the columns as well as the log walls.  Good luck with your moving/renovations!

I'm as well a fan of your scrollwork on the collums and sides - fantastic way to do it. You have such a wonderful eye for details and ornamentaiton! Wonderful wooden serpent connecting the roof plates together at the main entrance. Great to see planning before-hand as well - I feel at ease at seeing such a sharpened pen.

I keep coming back taking a look at your Nibelungen stand from time to time too, by the way. Getting off topic, but I was especially a fan of the wooden base, of all things.
Looking here, you surely have a way with wood! 

@Ecclesiastes Thank you very much! I'm glad you appreciate the colors of the roof. I intented to add some olive green tiles too, until I found out that neither 1x1 nor 1x2 tiles exist in that color!

@socalbricks Thank you so much! That wall design is not really convenient for hanging decor, but I liked the idea of using logs for such a building!

@Kai NRG Thank you! I guess those firepits will be very useful during the harsh Mitgardian winters...

@Louis of Nutwood Thank you very much! An efficient ventilation system will be required for the reading nook (which doubles as bookkeeping nook) to be really useable. Will be easier than requesting the people below to avoid roasting things in those firepits!

@Grover Thank you! I intend to try a slightly raised design for the rug, using brackets. We'll see if it works!

@jtooker Thank you! The renovations progress slowly, but steadily. Just like the LEGO building, actually! 

@adhdlama Thank you very much! I'm so glad you like the wood ornaments! During a trip to Norway a few years ago, I stood in awe of the beautiful, intricate wooden carvings on ancient wooden buildings. Not easy to replicate in LEGO, but that's the vibe I try to convey here...And I definitely love wood, for sure!

Somehow I haven't posted in this thread until now!  I certainly like the progress so far.  I noted how well you've used the various tiles as carved wood but those horn torches are a great idea too. :thumbup:

This is coming along very nicely.  So many great details to enjoy, but it doesn't feel cluttered at all.  I think you've chosen a very nice scale, and your various "brick sketches" have already started to pay off.  Love your sigfig's town look, that torso/skirt combo is very classy.

That's a mighty fine looking tavern.  I can't wait to see the finished product.  I am curious, though.  What set did those glasses of ale come from?

I love your method of presenting this as an evolving project, so we can see how it improves - and I'm glad to see it's still getting work. You've got the makings of a cosy little hall there, and dare I say the dust even helps it out a bit? :pir-wench: There's a sort of... agéd feel to a dust-covered room, Lego or otherwise.

I look forward to seeing what you'll do with this next!

5 hours ago, SerenityInFire said:

That's a mighty fine looking tavern.  I can't wait to see the finished product.  I am curious, though.  What set did those glasses of ale come from?

The Harry Potter CMF Ron and Hermione  have the mugs of butter beer.