TwoSolitudes

Vote for next UCS at Lego ideas

17 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

The vote is for a UCS set so it wouldn't be like the Tantive IV as that one was not UCS. I don't think the shape of the model would allow an interior at all either.

Well, I'd say the Tantive IV was as close to UCS as a set can be in all but name with 200+ EUR price, reasonably detailed design and big size - certainly more so than the infamous UCS Battle of Hoth at least... =D

Anyway, I was not thinking that the design would be primarily a playset, as you said, it is supposed to be an UCS set, but something along the line as UCS Falcon and the Super Star Destroyer have been in addition to the Tantive IV: they are certainly UCS, but they both had at least some cool ideas for interiors. The UCS Falcon actually had even great looking interiors while the SSD not so much but the idea itself was good to my mind. I would have enjoyed a star destroyer command bridge (in a reasonable minifigure scale) inside the new ISD, for example. Thus having interior is not mutually exclusive with a set being UCS set, I would argue.

But yes, you are absolutely right that the shape would force some limitations, of course, but we have seen great takes on this from the MOCers, so it is certainly not impossible.

- Samppu

8 hours ago, Kristof said:

I wish that UCS wasn't interpreted as Uber Colossal Size :)

It is true that the Gunship in 'minifig' scale is really pretty much the same size as the 2008-20014 playsets. But these were actually pretty large, weren't they?

Judging by some great mocs of LAAT done at this scale, it could make for 1500-2000 pcs. set, which I think is just great for UCS. At least it would be affordable to not just top gamers this time :D

How much more detail could this UCS rendition bring over the sets... well that's more valid concern IMO, but I think it's the same as with any other model. For just a casual fan, or a kid the improvement could likely be insignificant, but I am sure that there is enough scope to make collectors happy :)

I highly encourage anyone who is not strictly against the Gunship to begin with to check out these mocs by David Buchholz, JBB (recently redesigned by Chef) or Caleb Ricks! Just by comparing those wonderful designs, hopefully, you will get the same impression that I have, which is that this model really has some potential for ingenious design solutions!

Jeez, do I perhaps sound like I have a horse in this race? :D

Those MOCs you linked are great and look very accurate to the actual source material, however, I just can't see LEGO making a UCS version of a ship that's actually smaller than the system version they released previously.  I would say that the UCS ships we've gotten that are minifig compatible are the Slave I and both Falcons.  Both are significantly larger than any system scale version of those ships.  Now, I know the Gunship is a bit different just because the system-scale versions are relatively accurate, whereas you can't accurately get the size of one of those other ships in minifig scale at a cheap price point, but I just can't see them putting out a set like that noawadays.  If it were 10 years ago when there were regularly UCS models under $100, definitely, but I think UCS has taken on the meaning of "Extremely large model over $200."  FWIW, I would absolutely love it if they released something like those MOCs you linked and billed it as a UCS set, I just don't see it happening though.

@Kit Figsto your thoughts make sense and I sure can't fully disregard them. You might be right and I'd almost think the same unless lego actually gave that ship as a UCS set option. That means they are actually ready to make it happen, which further relates to them probably having a pretty good idea about it. And if not aiming for a minifig compatible scale, what do you think they would make the set be like instead? These minifig scale mocs have between 1500 and 2K pieces. Assuming that the part count grows with volume, by the time you make the model 30% larger in each dimension you likely almost double the part count, which would make this another ginormous UCS. And frankly, 30% larger than minifig scale would still look and feel like a close miss, rather than 'intentionally' larger...

Looking at UCS models from the past decade (ignoring the obvious outliers like Hoth battle), they are either very much smaller than minifig scale, or somewhere between 1.5x and 2x the minifig scale (Jedi starfighter, X-wing, TIE, Y-wing, Snowspeeder...), or they are officially presented as minifig compatible (Slave, Lambda, MF). The conclusion that I'm drawing is that it feels kind of uncanny to make something which is 'just shy' of being the proper scale.

So by that logic, if you are right, we would be looking at some ~4k piece monster of a Gunship (How about this one :D) and that is IMO not very likely either :) But maybe... I still have my fingers crossed for a minifig compatible size, aiming that $200 price point.

2 minutes ago, Kristof said:

@Kit Figsto your thoughts make sense and I sure can't fully disregard them. You might be right and I'd almost think the same unless lego actually gave that ship as a UCS set option. That means they are actually ready to make it happen, which further relates to them probably having a pretty good idea about it. And if not aiming for a minifig compatible scale, what do you think they would make the set be like instead? These minifig scale mocs have between 1500 and 2K pieces. Assuming that the part count grows with volume, by the time you make the model 30% larger in each dimension you likely almost double the part count, which would make this another ginormous UCS. And frankly, 30% larger than minifig scale would still look and feel like a close miss, rather than 'intentionally' larger...

Looking at UCS models from the past decade (ignoring the obvious outliers like Hoth battle), they are either very much smaller than minifig scale, or somewhere between 1.5x and 2x the minifig scale (Jedi starfighter, X-wing, TIE, Y-wing, Snowspeeder...), or they are officially presented as minifig compatible (Slave, Lambda, MF). The conclusion that I'm drawing is that it feels kind of uncanny to make something which is 'just shy' of being the proper scale.

So by that logic, if you are right, we would be looking at some ~4k piece monster of a Gunship (How about this one :D) and that is IMO not very likely either :) But maybe... I still have my fingers crossed for a minifig compatible size, aiming that $200 price point.

I guess my worry with is was that if the Gunship wins, it would be something more akin to the Y-Wing/X-Wing type of sets that you had mentioned.  Around $250-300 and approximately 1.5x minifigure scale.  I know that the piece count of those are high, but if they were to do a larger set, around the $300 price point, I feel like they could scale back the number of unnecessary pieces and still hit around 3000 parts, but make it much larger, therefore, non-minifigure scale.  However, you do make some good points about it being possible to do a minfigure scale gunship and still have a high piece count that most UCS sets have.  I'm hopeful that if it does win, your analysis is correct and we do get a figure scaled UCS Gunship.

^^ We shall see. The number of lego fans that primarily crave for size seems to be large, which would support your fears.

When I saw the post on the Ideas site the other day I instantly voted for the Gunship, filled up the suggestion box with every clone I could think of and moved on... but after thinking it over I’m sure I’ve made the wrong choice.

If the gunship wins the vote I do not think the set that gets released would be a true UCS, and by that I mean a large scale display model. Everyone that voted for it seems to want legions of clones to go along with it, and that many clones would just be wrong for an oversized ship (just look at how out of place the pilot is in the Y-Wing). If the Gunship wins and we end up getting a rerelease of the 2013 set but with the number of clones being akin to 10195 I won’t be mad, but I will be disappointed that this UCS vote didn’t give us a proper UCS set.

The TIE Bomber would be a great choice, it would fit with the current collection and it’s the only OT TIE variant to not get the UCS treatment. I was kind of shocked to see it on this list because I was sure we’d be seeing it within a few years, now I don’t know if it will even see the light of day as it’s clearly the underdog in this vote. 

I think that the medical frigate would be the best choice. Interesting build and the potential for unique figures like Luke and Lando from the end of ESB. It also seems like the Nebulon’s only chance at getting a set any time soon.

Sorry guys, voted for the Bomber. :)

I´m not really that interested Clone Wars, and i highly doubt LEGO would build something exeptional like Mortesv Nebulon B. Just compare Mortesv Tantive IV to the 3 official Lego Sets...

6 minutes ago, Midlife-crisis said:

Just compare Mortesv Tantive IV to the 3 official Lego Sets

I mean, two are old as balls and the latest one wasn't even UCS, so I dunno if your logic works here

Edited by Bartybum

Actually the bomber isn't a  bad choice .All three are good but if the gunship gets done I truly cant see it being much different than the others that have been produced[ 3 ]. It's already in mini fig scale and I highly doubt you all will get a ton of figures with it. I'm thinking two to three tops. A true UCS build would be the frigate or the bomber.

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I mean, two are old as balls and the latest one wasn't even UCS, so I dunno if your logic works here

It was UCS in everything but name, and being old is hardly a problem (see: 2007 MTT)

5 hours ago, KevinYoung said:

Actually the bomber isn't a  bad choice .All three are good but if the gunship gets done I truly cant see it being much different than the others that have been produced[ 3 ]. It's already in mini fig scale and I highly doubt you all will get a ton of figures with it. I'm thinking two to three tops. A true UCS build would be the frigate or the bomber.

That's my worry with the gunship.  I think a lot of people, specifically those commenting on the Ideas post, are expecting a minifigure scale (which it could be, but it also might not be) model with a wishlist of every single clone commander from The Clone Wars, plus Ahsoka.  Realistically, I highly doubt that they would even give us any Clone Wars characters at all with it, because there's probably no chance they'd base a UCS set off of a TV show before doing another prequel set.  At best, it would probably be a clone pilot and clone gunner from Ep II, maybe with Anakin, Obi Wan, and Padme if we were lucky.  I voted for the Nebulon B and put in the reason that I would rather see a minifig-scaled Gunship (which I think is very possible anyway), that way the Nebulon and Gunship groups both win.

5 hours ago, Makin Bacon said:

It was UCS in everything but name, and being old is hardly a problem (see: 2007 MTT)

I disagree that it was UCS in style. It had weird proportions typical of a minifig scale set. 

I've seen a lot of people saying that the Gunship has been made before, thus it shouldn't get the UCS treatment, but honestly, the most recent UCS sets have all had numerous system-scale versions (numerous X-&-Y-Wings, Snowspeeders, and TIE Fighters). Even the ISD has had 2 system scale releases, a midi-scale version, and a previous UCS model. I do like the Nebulon B, and would love to see it get made someday, but I voted for the Gunship. Some people think that LEGO should've offered an ARC-170 or Venator, but I think that those sets wouldn't have fared so well with a vote like this. The Gunship is more recognizable, and could lead to other PT UCS sets in the future. It could also give us some special legacy figures like an updated Jedi Bob, a proper clone pilot sans fin, and maybe even arm-printed clone troopers. The Nebulon-B would be my second choice, of course, but if it is released, then the usual Luke & Leia would kind of kill it for me. And I don't really collect the rebels much outside of Hoth, Endor, and Yavin (minifig wise). Of course, we'll see what happens come January 30th, and if either two options make it I won't be surprised. Heck, they might give us both if it's close enough.

Edited by ARC2149Nova

4 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I've seen a lot of people saying that the Gunship has been made before, thus it shouldn't get the UCS treatment, but honestly, the most recent UCS sets have all had numerous system-scale versions (numerous X-&-Y-Wings, Snowspeeders, and TIE Fighters).

Actually, I do not remember anyone who said that. A number of people, however, expressed their preference for models that are to-scale with minifigures, and who thus dislike most (oversized) models of the UCS series (e. g. X-Wing, Snowspeeder, TIE Fighters).

One person argued that not getting a UCS gunship increases the chance of getting a to-scale version of the gunship, while others replied that to-scale and UCS models of other verhicles were sold at the same time in the past, so it might not be a valid argument.

I've come across it in various online forums, maybe not this one, but there is a consensus that the Nebulon-B is better because it's unique.

A small consensus, but I felt like noting that side.

I want to vote for the gunship, cause I would love more clones. :moar:

But I think UCS is not the way to go for the gunship and a regular systemscale set would do it better justice. For that reason I'm contemplating voting for the Medical Frigate. 

Also because we already got 3 gunships, and don't get me wrong, I would love an other one... Just not an UCS. :tongue:

I think I will put REBEL FRIEND as mini-figure to include. :snicker:

Then again, a UCS gunship could be made with less then 2.000 bricks for sure. This leaves a lot of room for a good amount of mini-figures (clones) that we will probably never get in any other set.

What to do what to do... :ugh:

Edited by Cyberfounder

4 hours ago, Cyberfounder said:

I want to vote for the gunship, cause I would love more clones. :moar:

But I think UCS is not the way to go for the gunship and a regular systemscale set would do it better justice. For that reason I'm contemplating voting for the Medical Frigate. 

Also because we already got 3 gunships, and don't get me wrong, I would love an other one... Just not an UCS. :tongue:

The "real" LAAT/i could hold up to 30 troops, plus 2 pilots and 2 clones in the side turrets. As far as I know, none of the prior LEGO versions can do that, in fact, the 7676 set, while excellent otherwise, had a horrible troop capacity, even with a modded floor. The 2013 one had a good size, but since I unfortunately don't own that model, I'm not sure about how many troops it can hold. IMO, this shouldn't be about UCS-vs-System scale. Like I said a couple posts above, we've had multiple system-scale sets of almost every UCS (if not every one). Besides, UCS is about being a massive display model, not a playset. (On principle, with few exceptions)

An LAAT/i in minifig scale would have to be massive, $200 at least. A good candidate for UCS (see Slave I, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, Snowspeeder...) given the price alone. I don't know if LEGO needs another $500+ UCS set, which would certainly be a decent Nebulon B, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

For me personally, having never owned a gunship despite wanting all of the previous versions, there have been only 2 or so UCS models I've ever considered (Slave I and Death Star). The LAAT/i would be a definite purchase for me. Also, I don't really get all the Rex/Cody/501st wishes, as honestly LEGO will most likely choose a safe complement of Yoda, Clone Pilot, and a Clone Trooper. Maybe Jedi Bob, but that'd be almost too much fanservice.

But, may the best possible model win (a moment of silence for the TIE Bomber).

Also, I have nothing against the Nebulon B, just to be clear. I'm just presenting the gunship as a valid competitor.

35 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

The "real" LAAT/i could hold up to 30 troops, plus 2 pilots and 2 clones in the side turrets. As far as I know, none of the prior LEGO versions can do that, in fact, the 7676 set, while excellent otherwise, had a horrible troop capacity, even with a modded floor. The 2013 one had a good size, but since I unfortunately don't own that model, I'm not sure about how many troops it can hold. IMO, this shouldn't be about UCS-vs-System scale. Like I said a couple posts above, we've had multiple system-scale sets of almost every UCS (if not every one). Besides, UCS is about being a massive display model, not a playset. (On principle, with few exceptions)

An LAAT/i in minifig scale would have to be massive, $200 at least. A good candidate for UCS (see Slave I, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, Snowspeeder...) given the price alone. I don't know if LEGO needs another $500+ UCS set, which would certainly be a decent Nebulon B, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

For me personally, having never owned a gunship despite wanting all of the previous versions, there have been only 2 or so UCS models I've ever considered (Slave I and Death Star). The LAAT/i would be a definite purchase for me. Also, I don't really get all the Rex/Cody/501st wishes, as honestly LEGO will most likely choose a safe complement of Yoda, Clone Pilot, and a Clone Trooper. Maybe Jedi Bob, but that'd be almost too much fanservice.

But, may the best possible model win (a moment of silence for the TIE Bomber).

Also, I have nothing against the Nebulon B, just to be clear. I'm just presenting the gunship as a valid competitor.

Don't forget that minifigs are very fat, but when designing something at scale for them their height is the important thing.

I voted for the RGS with a ripped-jumpsuit Padme. On the other hand, we could use that one scene from RotS to bring out a new version of Mace Windu.

5 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Very true. Even if it's over-sized, that just makes it a better UCS model (one meant for display).

This^^^ To me UCS means a great display model, especially now that they have MBS to cover the playset type. Which would have been (Hoth, Death Star, Sandcrawler) although the Sandcrawler kinda fits both! 

As long as the UCS is a great display piece I don't care if it is to mini figure scale or not. Just make a great model!

Now if they want to make a MBS Gunship, feel free to include a clone army! :grin:

Voted for gunship. No interest in Nebulon B -> could build the one which is here from own parts. Tie Bomber is interesting, but the minifig selection would be small. For me minifigs are a must for UCS else i dont need to buy it, but build based on instructions from own bricks. I like to use UCS in scenes, thus purchasing mainly the minifig scaled one. Lately i skipped ISD because 1) its too big, i already have problem where to put Falcon 2) it was not that impressive improvement over the previous one - there are a lot of better ones as MOC with instructions 3) Overpriced 4) minifig selection was a JOKE for the money they are asking - at that pricepoint there should be all the interesting Imperial Officers and also from the Expanded Universe (Ysanne Isard with red uniform for example)

My responses in the voting pool:

I collect mostly minifig size UCS. Will consider purchase only if its detailed and really minifig scale (not oversized). It has to have new parts if needed to achieve perfect shape (cockpit mainly). It could also be modified to 2 variants - regular and special forces/ops with some printed elements and color swap here and there.

It has to have a lot of minifigs, ones that were not released previously and usin all the neded armprints and doublemolds whenever needed. Bad Batch squad for the special ops version, different types of regular phase 1 clonetroopers for the regular version. Perhaps some unique jedis. New clone pilots helmet molds needed Minifigs should be the draw of this set - all other can be build with own bricks -> no need to buy. I already skipped many UCS sets.

Not being a UCS collector I initially skipped voting on the poll, but after thinking about it a bit more I finally caved in and voted for the Nebulon-B. As much as I love the gunship I am on the same page with many here who would want a proper playscale set with enough minifigure to man it (and maybe this time another pilot, so we don't have to make Obi-Wan fly the thing), and said so in my note, adding that the same goes for the bomber (2003?! Everytime I realize it I am stunned) and that the Nebulon-B NEEDS to be UCS scale to capture the essence of the ship in a satisfying way. As far as THE minifigure (their use of the singular form worries me, but then again back in 2013 the only figure with the X-Wing was R2, so they are a recent addition to ship-based UCS sets) I specified either Mon Mothma or Jan Dodonna, although I guess any high-ranking rebel could be a nice addition.