TwoSolitudes

Vote for next UCS at Lego ideas

My vote is the Gunship.  

I thought about making my own, but I may reconsider at the chance of an official one, or wait, so I could borrow some techniques :grin:

From the looks of the comment section, the Gunship seems to be claiming the most votes, besides those clamoring for a "501st Battle Pack"<:facepalm:

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

I voted gunship but I’m not sure how much they can improve the system scale versions and the MOC done by whoever was a pretty fantastic attempt.

nebulon would be a letdown compared to mort’s.

zero interest in a bomber.

I voted the Nebulon just because it's something different. Weve seen so many TIEs and Gunships. Plus it would be a really interesting build.

To be honest I'd be pretty happy with any of those choices. I just think the Nebulon would be the most interesting to build in a large scale, and there hasn't been an official one before. If its a 200 dollar UCS like the Y-Wing or Snowspeeder, then the Bomber of Gunship. But if it's a big time 400 plus kit, then Nebulon! 

Voted the Nebulon B. The build would be more interesting plus the thought of having a microscale Millennium Falcon attached to the model and the possibility of the medical bay scene with Luke"s hand getting repaired by the droid has my vote easily!

Edited by ChemicalWorld

I voted for the Gunship. As much as I love the Nebulon, I don't think they would allocate a sufficient pice count to get a good enough result. The gunship on the other side could be a great opportunity to bring in some new pieces to go even further with those hard shapes. And being close to minifig scale, it could come with lots of great figs (Asokha, Rex, even some 501st clone troopers ?).

TIE Bomber... Meh. All TIEs can be really convincing in system scale, I'm not really interested in a UCS version.

@AfolFree summed up my thoughts entirely. Perhaps I'd just alter from 'loving' Nebulon very much to 'kinda liking it as an in-universe design' :)

My hopes would be that they could achieve a similar result with the Gunship as they did with the UCS Slave I. Minifig scale, yet highly intricate, and really very much unlike anything that was MOCed before. There have been some really decent mocs, but every once in awhile, lego designers can figure out impressive things. Plus the potential for some new molds (for the laser domes?) seems great too.

Lastly, it's not just another big grey thing to sit on a couple of stands, taking up massive shelf space. I hope that no-interest-in-anything-prequel cult won't smear the clear judgment for some people :D

13 minutes ago, Kristof said:

I hope that no-interest-in-anything-prequel cult won't smear the clear judgment for some people :D

I think, rightly or wrongly, that the Lego loving world is a lot more positively disposed towards the Prequels than the world at large is...

^^ I hope :) Especially here the open-mindedness is pretty widespread. Though I still see plenty of comments in other groups (FB, brickset comments...) which scream this 'prequel==couldnt care less' mantra :D As if it was not the design of the craft that also mattered (I know that the movie context is a factor too, but shouldn't be the only one!).

The gunship and Neb-B are both fantastic choices and I'll be happy with either one for sure.

The gunship has fantastic potential for a highly detailed minifig-scale model with some new molds and great figures.  While the Neb-B would be fantastic simply because we need more capitol ships in general, but especially where the rebellion is concerned.  Though if they do go with the Neb-B, I hope we get an interesting figure lineup.  The characters we see on the Neb-B in ESB simply don't excite me, we've already gotten plenty of Luke and Leia.  If they were to take some inspiration from Rebels in include characters like Dodonna and his crew, I'd be completely on board.

I will not vote for the TIE Bomber for sure. The ship itself is very interesting, but the UCS TIE-Fighter was simply horrible by design (lots of studs, no curved edges, pretty much any modern MOCer has done amazing job already so why not to copy some of their ideas...) and we probably wouldn't get any interesting minifigures with it...

Gunship vs. Nebulon is then a harder debate. I would love to see them both. The gunship might bring us new molds for the canon balls as noted above, and that would be awesome for sure. But then, on the other hand, the ship should be in minifigure scale to make any sense, because the UCS version should be 700 euros and comparable to UCS Falcon if it was to be made in larger scale. Thus the gunship should be a minifigure scaled ship that simply has an improved design and more pieces than the 2013 (-14?) minifigure version. The gunship could be made epic, though, if it was designed to be from ROTS rather than from AOC movie if it would bring us Commander Cody, for example.

I would be very happy with Nebulon B Frigate that would be designed along the same idea as the new Tantive IV has been: UCS from the out, minifigure scaled interiors where possible. However, we should get some very exclusive figures with it to make it standout... Updated rebel officer (Crix Madine style), rebel officer as seen at the end of ANH (dark brown uniform with dark tan cap), rebel officer (Jan Dodonna style)?

I think I will go with the UCS gunship, because I would rather see the rebel officer minifigures in a battlepack, but Commander Cody in an exclusive and expensive UCS set is ok, as you are only ever going to want just one.

- Samppu

33 minutes ago, Samppu said:

I will not vote for the TIE Bomber for sure. The ship itself is very interesting, but the UCS TIE-Fighter was simply horrible by design (lots of studs, no curved edges, pretty much any modern MOCer has done amazing job already so why not to copy some of their ideas...) and we probably wouldn't get any interesting minifigures with it...

Gunship vs. Nebulon is then a harder debate. I would love to see them both. The gunship might bring us new molds for the canon balls as noted above, and that would be awesome for sure. But then, on the other hand, the ship should be in minifigure scale to make any sense, because the UCS version should be 700 euros and comparable to UCS Falcon if it was to be made in larger scale. Thus the gunship should be a minifigure scaled ship that simply has an improved design and more pieces than the 2013 (-14?) minifigure version. The gunship could be made epic, though, if it was designed to be from ROTS rather than from AOC movie if it would bring us Commander Cody, for example.

I would be very happy with Nebulon B Frigate that would be designed along the same idea as the new Tantive IV has been: UCS from the out, minifigure scaled interiors where possible. However, we should get some very exclusive figures with it to make it standout... Updated rebel officer (Crix Madine style), rebel officer as seen at the end of ANH (dark brown uniform with dark tan cap), rebel officer (Jan Dodonna style)?

I think I will go with the UCS gunship, because I would rather see the rebel officer minifigures in a battlepack, but Commander Cody in an exclusive and expensive UCS set is ok, as you are only ever going to want just one.

- Samppu

The vote is for a UCS set so it wouldn't be like the Tantive IV as that one was not UCS. I don't think the shape of the model would allow an interior at all either.

I see a lot of people talking about wanting a minifig scale Gunship, but how much bigger would that actually be than the 2013 version? That seemed pretty close just eyeballing it.

2 hours ago, Samppu said:

- Samppu

I had a similiar thought process. A TIE-Bomber won't be any better on a UCS-scale than as a playset. I hope that the Gunship would be minifig-scale but with a better design and less play-features like swoosh-handles or openable post-boxes.

Just now, Brick-Wombat said:

Asking the real questions here... when is LEGO going to try their hand at a Venator!?

You are completley right.

Gunship would be cool but we got 3 to date. How much bigger and detailed can it get from the others. I just don't see the reasoning behind it when we can get a capital ship like the frigate that's never been done. Whatever it is I"ll be purchasing it but I really would love the Nebulon.

I wish that UCS wasn't interpreted as Uber Colossal Size :)

It is true that the Gunship in 'minifig' scale is really pretty much the same size as the 2008-20014 playsets. But these were actually pretty large, weren't they?

Judging by some great mocs of LAAT done at this scale, it could make for 1500-2000 pcs. set, which I think is just great for UCS. At least it would be affordable to not just top gamers this time :D

How much more detail could this UCS rendition bring over the sets... well that's more valid concern IMO, but I think it's the same as with any other model. For just a casual fan, or a kid the improvement could likely be insignificant, but I am sure that there is enough scope to make collectors happy :)

I highly encourage anyone who is not strictly against the Gunship to begin with to check out these mocs by David Buchholz, JBB (recently redesigned by Chef) or Caleb Ricks! Just by comparing those wonderful designs, hopefully, you will get the same impression that I have, which is that this model really has some potential for ingenious design solutions!

Jeez, do I perhaps sound like I have a horse in this race? :D

The only thing I have against the gunship is that it is a bit too much like a military helicopter from earth. One of the (few) things that annoys me in Star Wars films is when they go to close to 'earth' things. See also Dexter's diner, where they are playing American football (which I like...on earth) which jars with me. The gunship is a fun ship though and there could be some nice figs (sorry, I know purists don't like figs in a UCS. But it might be a like a Tantive sort-of-a-UCS).

The Nebulon is the coolest original design of the three but I would not stretch to a 400-800 euro set. The the bomber is of no interest. So, maybe the gunship...

2 hours ago, Retro said:

The the bomber is of no interest. 

What’s it like not being a Star Wars LEGO fan hanging out on a Star War LEGO website?  Your statement is incorrect. Your opinion is wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Hokierespect said:

What’s it like not being a Star Wars LEGO fan hanging out on a Star War LEGO website?  Your statement is incorrect. Your opinion is wrong. 

Based on your over-the-top style of writing, I'm not sure if you're pretending to be rude for fun or if you're being deadly serious. It's hard to tell on the internet.

Anyway, let me re-phrase. A TIE Bomber is of no interest to me personally to spend money on (although I'd be happy to be given a present of one). I'm happy for you if you'd like one. 

Also, I've been watching Star Wars films for 37 years and collecting Star Wars Lego for 7 years. For what it's worth.