Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR Jan FB1/GOC] Spudkirk Armoury

During the recent raid on Spudkirk by the Lotii, the warehouse where all the settlements small arms were stored was burnt to the ground. This prompted authorities to decentralise the logistics system in Spudkirk and disperse supplies around many smaller locations. One of these locations is located on the wharves down in the sheltered cove that makes the main anchorage.

49427411266_23a110d138_z.jpg

Here a Royal Navy Petty Officer watches over a group of sailors unloading gunpowder kegs from a visiting warship. Meanwhile an Army officer discusses the raid with his Navy counterpart.

49427636387_1b78f8c917.jpg

The officers move inside, where a Highland Grenadier displays the armouries supply of muskets - enough for an entire half-company and complete with powder and shot. The garrison will not be taken by surprise again!

____

I started this one before Christmas and it's taken me a while to find the motivation to finish it. I'm not entirely happy with the result but it is time to clear it away and start something new! I wanted to try the bley/dark bley plates under the trans light blue tiles for water. I think it came out ok. Will be licensed in Spudkirk and is also a GoC build for Task 11 - Strategic Outposts.

A WIP shot:

Spoiler

51004895251_b0232bda51_c.jpg

Your "ok" builds are fabulous by my standards. Anything in particular that you aren't happy with?

I quite like the color scheme, especially the dark orange and light grey. The vegetation is good and I really like the effect you've created with the water. Good group of minifigs, too.

My one complaint is just that the seagull and the light grey elements (pretty as they are) almost get lost on the edges against the white background, while the black base just jumps off the screen at us. Perhaps making the upper level dark grey, or some darker color/tone, would provide a sharper contrast instead, unless it ruins the overall look? Or perhaps a colored background, which I realize you never really do? Just a thought.

Approved for the Glory of Corrington. :thumbup:

26 minutes ago, Captain Dee said:

Your "ok" builds are fabulous by my standards. Anything in particular that you aren't happy with?

I fully agree with this statement!

Overall a great build. The rocks and foliage on the side are really nice and the decorative elements added to the building make it so much more than just a square building. And I always appreciate a good cannon build like you've got on the roof! I do agree to the colors in regards to the seagull. If not for Dee's comment, I never would have noticed it. However, I'm a big fan of having a border around a build to give it definitive lines, so the edging gets a pass in my book.

Approved for the GoC! :thumbup:

Amazing build once again. I would only argue the guards on the roof have no visible ladder to climb on and off :pir_laugh2:

The water looks good, just a little shallow.

To be perfectly honest I just love the composition of this.  From the colors and and vegetation to the rock-work and stud-bands around the building (I keep seeing those and always forget to try them when I'm building! :grin:) this makes for a very aesthetic picture.  And fantastic photography as usual too!

Is the building exactly square?  I can see how that might bug you from a different angle (although it does look fine in your picture - but I know the feeling your talking about from experience), but otherwise I've got to say I agree with the others - quite a nice build here :thumbup:

Another excellent build from you in your immediately recognizable style! I like how the armory is built into the rock, and great use of that relatively new green flower/leaf piece. Nice pic of the custom muskets all lined up, too. :thumbup:

This is very cool, lovely combination of colors!  Outstanding job on the vegetation crawling over the rock - how are those attached?  Is there a flower under each one sticking it to a stalk?

This would be more than a just okay build for me. :pir-grin:

Thank you everyone for the comments. It seems that I'm the only one who felt this one wasn't quite up to standard!

On 1/23/2020 at 2:05 PM, Captain Dee said:

Anything in particular that you aren't happy with? 

The build in retrospect is ok, I think because I had originally planned something a bit grander with additional buildings on climbing up a path on the left hand side, the final product was a bit underwhelming. I built the house back in December when I got back from sea. Then I had to move all my Lego back home and my new building space, although custom designed is a bit smaller than I was used to (mainly as I have to share it with my 7 year old who seems to be on YouTube everytime I have time for Lego!). Basically I think it just got stale, I lost motivation and just wanted it done. Also after having spent three months at sea wanting to build, only to finally get back and get a serious case of builders block (pun intended!), yeah I just wasn't feeling it! Hope that makes sense.

On 1/23/2020 at 2:05 PM, Captain Dee said:

My one complaint is just that the seagull and the light grey elements (pretty as they are) almost get lost on the edges against the white background, while the black base just jumps off the screen at us. Perhaps making the upper level dark grey, or some darker color/tone, would provide a sharper contrast instead, unless it ruins the overall look? Or perhaps a colored background, which I realize you never really do? Just a thought.

Yeah this is a constant problem for me! Because I like such a clean background I tend to get a lot of washout. My GIMP skills aren't really up to scratch when it comes to editing out the background and replacing it with a different colour. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I really should probably focus on better photos to start with :)

On 1/24/2020 at 6:11 AM, Fraunces said:

I would only argue the guards on the roof have no visible ladder to climb on and off 

Funnily enough I did consider this, and it bothers me too!

On 1/24/2020 at 8:06 AM, Garmadon said:

Is the building exactly square?

Thanks Garm, yeah with the border it is 34x34. Like most of my builds, it only really works from the one angle - although this one has a limited interior for the gun racks. I am determined the current GoH build I'm working on will be detailed for a full 360 degree views!

On 1/26/2020 at 4:32 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Thanks!

On 1/26/2020 at 6:42 AM, Kai NRG said:

Outstanding job on the vegetation crawling over the rock - how are those attached?  Is there a flower under each one sticking it to a stalk?

Thanks Kai. Yep you got it - they are (mostly) the five stalk pieces with a bright green flower piece on the ends with the leaf attached to the flower.