Sign in to follow this  
Changhyeon Kim

I have a question about Lego's IP usage.

Hi...I'm preparing 3d animation with my own character on Youtube,using background made by Lego Digital Designer.

The reason why I am doing this is because I saw a lot of Lego stop motion animation on Youtube.

But I am worried if my animation would be banned, or sued by Lego about using Lego Digital Designer.

And in this case,can I use Lego Digital Designer's products(background) on my Youtube animation???

If I can't ,is there proper way to let me use Lego Digital Designer in my 3d animation???

How could Lego stop motion animation Youtuber solve this problem????

I am Not a Lawyer.

However, If you do not gain from the videos monetarily then fair use doctrine should apply.

Even if you DO gain monetarily, TLG would have to become aware of your use of their IP and take steps.
That would likely mean sending YouTube a DMCA take down notice, possibly demanding your monetization going to them and sending you a Cease and Desist letter.

Depending on your content, channel size and views they may not even notice or care at all.

How to solve? Don't use IP you did not create or received explicit permission to use from the IP rights holder.

Edited by Masked Mini

You should take a look at the Fair Play guidelines that Lego has had for many years: https://www.lego.com/en-us/legal/notices-and-policies/fair-play/

The short version is that Lego is very welcoming of fan-produced Lego-related content on the internet, they just have some ground rules they ask you to play by. Mainly, they want you to make it very clear that what you are creating is not an official Lego product. You cannot use their brand in a way that might confuse people into thinking your video was made by Lego, for example. There is a disclaimer at that site you can copy and paste into your video description that will let people know.