Carbohydrates

[MOC] Big Blocks Fine Autos

This is my largest project to date! I've been working on it for over a year. It was conceived as a way to display my Speed Champions-scaled classic car MOCs all in one space. This is a used car dealership that plays heavily into American tropes and stereotypes of such establishments.

oT0MINjm.jpg PDP2HTWm.jpg infNpfdm.jpg 4q37Jrrm.jpg

The interior features a sales office and a garage, both dense with details. The garage features a functional lift. The back is open, and the roof easily detaches for access.

JM8OhGsm.jpg d9EFKVom.jpg 9Zomofhm.jpg xQMP9zBm.jpg dUx0Rfgm.jpg LSsRMrGm.jpg

Some of the finer details: car manufacturer emblems on the facade, the sign on the post, a mop bucket in the garage, and some assorted mini models found throughout the build. The coffee machine is based on my own Keurig, the motor is based on an Oldsmobile W-30 455 V8, and the Coke machine is actually stocked with a row of bottles inside, though you cannot see them without taking it apart.

nXN23w3m.jpg 1GasxWom.jpg 3g9qn84m.jpg fgOaxOAm.jpg

And finally, the cars on the lot! Starting with the front row, from left to right:

1. 1972 Datsun 240z, street
  2. 1972 Datsun 240z, pace car
  3. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 (John Wick's car)
  4. 1967 Shelby GT500 (Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds)
  5. 1970 Chevrolet Camaro RS/Z28
  6. 1967 Pontiac GTO
  7. Hoonicorn V1 (heavily modified 1965 Ford Mustang)
  8. 1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee
  9. 1970 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
  10. 1970 Chevrolet C10, short bed

The back row, from left to right:

1. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda
  2. 1969 AMC Hurst/SC Rambler, with the "A" color scheme
  3. 1969 AMC Super Stock AMX
  4. 1970 Oldsmobile 442 W30
  5. 1968 Oldsmobile 442

21 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

Awesome. Beautiful. Inspiring. Brilliant. Love all the little details.

Thanks so much! The little details are what kept me going. I usually don't have the focus to make large MOCs because I get really caught up in the minutiae and fine details, but this build let me indulge in that enough that I finally got it done.

21 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Now that's my type of Lego creation. 

Thank you!

8 hours ago, peedeejay said:

This is fantastic. The cars, the minibuilds and especially the two sleazy salesmen! :D

Thanks! Though I don't know why you say they're sleazy. Clearly, these fine gentlemen have nothing but your best interests at heart. They're just here to help you find the car of your dreams with fair, affordable, non-predatory financing.

5 hours ago, carebear said:

This Looks Amazing!

Very clean looking!

- Love the BMW Sine!

Greetings!

I appreciate that! The BMW logo is iconic and translated well to LEGO, but there are no BMWs on the lot. Maybe someday. The other three logos all have at least two vehicles on the lot each representing thoeir brands!

34 minutes ago, meliander said:

Fantastic MOC! Love all the little details you have here. Salesmen are spot on, too!

Thanks for the kind words and feedback!

Edited by Carbohydrates

Brilliant. Well done.

The car MOCs are really well done (I'm always jealous of car builders since I can do okay, but a lot of those little details get lost).

The building itself and lot work really well with the details you've provided.

Is the salesman with the tie askew a custom torso/sticker? I don't recall seeing that before.

1 hour ago, TheLegoDr said:

Brilliant. Well done.

The car MOCs are really well done (I'm always jealous of car builders since I can do okay, but a lot of those little details get lost).

The building itself and lot work really well with the details you've provided.

Is the salesman with the tie askew a custom torso/sticker? I don't recall seeing that before.

Thank you! I love building cars. It's sort of been my focus for a couple years now. The torso comes from an unnamed background character from a 2003 Spider-Man set.

Without doubts one of the best minifig scale mocs that I've seen in quite some time! 
I really love that you were able to capture that spirit of used cars dealerships that we usually see in movies (Breaking Bad comes to my mind for some reason) !
Absolutely love those brand logos on the wall (bmw is so cool looking), those flags outside and all the details inside!

Man, you nailed it! 

On 1/23/2020 at 2:08 PM, adwind said:

Without doubts one of the best minifig scale mocs that I've seen in quite some time! 
I really love that you were able to capture that spirit of used cars dealerships that we usually see in movies (Breaking Bad comes to my mind for some reason) !
Absolutely love those brand logos on the wall (bmw is so cool looking), those flags outside and all the details inside!

Man, you nailed it! 

Thank you! It was really fun leaning into the sort of sleazy, manufactured nostalgia stereotypes of US used car dealers. I'm particularly pleased with the flags you mentioned. I tried several things before I settled on the triangular traffic sign pieces, and I'm really happy with the results.

On 1/23/2020 at 7:19 PM, bricksboy said:

I like the lift you design. Excellent job for the whole MOC

Thank you! I did not plan to make the lift at first (or else I probably would have made the whole thing a touch taller to accommodate the gearbox), but I'm glad I did. It's kind of the "killer feature" of the MOC.

11 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

Your 240 is very nice.

Thanks! The 240z is the first Speed Champions-scale car that I designed and it's still one of my favorites. My very favorite is the 2nd gen Camaro, though.