Sign in to follow this  
Paperinik77pk

[MOC] DB BR50 (KabinTender) 12v in 7777 style

Hi all!

After the projects, it was time for some real building. I am in "12v phase" :wub: so I concentrated on the BR50 I draw during Christmas Holidays:

Lego BR50_058_KabinTender 12v

Since there are many expensive parts, I used what I already had at home. I ordered the two front 1x1x2 windows and a pair of big wheels.

Here's the final result:

Lego MOC - DB BR50 KabinTender 12v

It is similar to che project, but it's quite different in some parts:

- Front bogie was redesigned completely - while perfectly working from turning radius point of view, its overhang made the locomotive to hit the 12v switch remote control! :wall::laugh: Now the lower part is turning according to bogie, the buffer turns too.

- Chassis is higher, in order to accomodate some details (by the way, the BR50 had small wheels so I needed to increase the space between the wheels and the body.

- Flexible Pneumatic tubes instead of black "antennas" to reproduce side pipes (I found this solution more...7777-ish)

-  Cabin is half stud lower and has a longer roof to cover part of Tender.

- Some details are different, and were thought directly "on the run"

- Tender is a bit longer, the one I designed was wrongly shaped. Bogies worked fine with the central ladder, but I did not remember the motor has rubber bands on it (and they get stuck on the ladders).

- The connection between the thender and the locomotive is using a very very vintage part from the 60s

- 12v Motor is now in the rear part of the Tender, since the unpowered bogie was easier to modify in order to accomodate the fixed bar coupling.

...and now some photos:

In general, it was built thanks to some  incomplete spare sets: a 7715 (doors, two red buffers, boiler parts and some wheels) , a 7810 (two windows, red ladders and black parts) and a 7710 (black parts, some plates...).

It was a real fun to build it!!!  :wub_drool:

I hope you like it!!!

Ciao!

Davide

On 1/22/2020 at 2:13 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

- Front bogie was redesigned completely - while perfectly working from turning radius point of view, its overhang made the locomotive to hit the 12v switch remote control! :wall::laugh:

Oh I know that feeling, when you realize that the locomotive, even if it runs well on the curves, hits other objects because of the size :angry:

I like this huge machine with those amazing and EXPENSIVE old black windows! :grin:

The tender is a great masterpiece! :wub:

Nice to see all your efforts translated into real bricks! :thumbup:

On 1/22/2020 at 2:41 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Wonderful - it looks even better in real bricks!

Yes, confirmed! The fact it is made of used bricks gives an idea of old stuff, even if well cleaned and mantained :laugh:

On 1/22/2020 at 3:06 PM, Phil B said:

Awesome!

Thanks! :wink:

On 1/22/2020 at 4:52 PM, Ex cinno said:

Great job: we can breathe the 80's atmosphere here :sweet:

Thank you - I'm really glad to hear this - It is the exact feeling I wanted to recreate :wub:

On 1/23/2020 at 8:13 AM, Man with a hat said:

Ah, the good old grey era. And a fantastic job you did!

Thank you!!! :classic:

16 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Oh I know that feeling, when you realize that the locomotive, even if it runs well on the curves, hits other objects because of the size :angry:

I like this huge machine with those amazing and EXPENSIVE old black windows! :grin:

The tender is a great masterpiece! :wub:

Nice to see all your efforts translated into real bricks! :thumbup:

The terrible thing is that I used normal PF switches for testing the bogies, and OBVIOUSLY :laugh_hard: everything went fine, since the switch control is really low and thin. When I tried the locomotive at full speed on a 12v switch...well I don't know if the "crash tests" can be applied to locomotives...but that was the final result!!! :hmpf_bad:

Fortunately, I had the four 2x1x2 black windows from an 7810, so I needed to buy only the two front windows and two pairs of big wheels - therefore it was not a terrible waste of money :wink:

I'm glad you like the KabinTender too! It's odd, but sooooooo distinctive compared to the standard one :grin_wub:

Ciao!

Davide