2 hours ago, kbalage said:

Here's my review of the set:

So, that's your balcony? :D

And the drum could make a nice automatic feeder.

Edited by Gimmick

10 minutes ago, Gimmick said:

So, that's your balcony? :D

I guess something similar happened on the way... but I am not surprised anymore, last time I saw the DHL guy grabbing my box from the rear of the cargo area of the van and he was literally walking on all the other boxes.

On a real concrete mixer truck, is the drum also connected to the wheels? Or can it be while driving? Then which way does the drum rotate when reversing?

(I know nothing about real trucks...)

I assume on a real truck the drum is connected to the engine. Certainly, it keeps turning when the truck is stopped for a traffic light.

5 hours ago, kbalage said:

Here's my review of the set:

I think the linear clutch is there for the obvious scenario where someone tries to drive the truck by the drum. It's a big smooth thing that will certainly look like an attractive part to grab the truck by. Easy mistake to make for the inattentive person.

23 minutes ago, astyanax said:

I think the linear clutch is there for the obvious scenario where someone tries to drive the truck by the drum.

Good call, seems the most likely reason indeed (and so obvious that you'll easily overlook it...).

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

On a real concrete mixer truck, is the drum also connected to the wheels? Or can it be while driving? Then which way does the drum rotate when reversing?

(I know nothing about real trucks...)

The drum is rotated by an hydraulic motor wich in it's turn gets it's power (oil pressure) from an oil pump driven by the main dieselmotor.
It will rotate when the truck stops, it keeps rotating till the operator turns it of, it can very easy rotate backwards due to the hydraulic motor.

14 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

The drum is rotated by an hydraulic motor wich in it's turn gets it's power (oil pressure) from an oil pump driven by the main dieselmotor.
It will rotate when the truck stops, it keeps rotating till the operator turns it of, it can very easy rotate backwards due to the hydraulic motor.

Thanks, that makes sense! I guess we'll inevitably see an RC mod that assigns a dedicated motor to the drum, independent from the wheels. :sweet:

Edited by astyanax

Why the Frick is the engine inside the drivers cabin? I dont know a whole lot about trucks like this but I'm pretty sure that's not how it is supposed to be...

4 hours ago, astyanax said:

Thanks, that makes sense! I guess we'll inevitably see an RC mod that assigns a dedicated motor to the drum, independent from the wheels. :sweet:

Remove transmission system will fir driver motor. Servo motor will put instead HOG axle, and drum motor will put 36t gear's axle. and batterybox will put under water tank.

7 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Why the Frick is the engine inside the drivers cabin?

It’s technically in the right place, but a little too big and not covered.

11 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

engine inside the drivers cabin

This is quite common over here while longnoses are more a usa thing.
there is in the real world a motor cover or the entire cabin can tilt to reach the motor for service

6 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

This is quite common over here while longnoses are more a usa thing.
there is in the real world a motor cover or the entire cabin can tilt to reach the motor for service

That's how I know it - the engine ist under the driver's compartment and the whole cabin can tilt forward to expose the engine bay.  Imo the whole engine needs to be like 3-5 studs lower.

20 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

That's how I know it - the engine ist under the driver's compartment and the whole cabin can tilt forward to expose the engine bay.  Imo the whole engine needs to be like 3-5 studs lower.

Yep, it is even possible to fit V6 engine in this scale to correct position:

44282666622_9da0bb5148_c.jpgIMGP5246 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

and make the cabin tilt:

44282665132_edd0900789_c.jpgWorking fake engine by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

The size of engine is still waaay to big, but I like the shape much more. I wish there would be some new mold for fake engines, I don't like the solution with 3L axles at all.

11 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Why the Frick is the engine inside the drivers cabin?

I think they placed it where the average user could appreciate the "pistons" going up and down. Remember, it's a kids' toy :classic:

Incidentally, I had to do the same on one of my pick-up trucks, although I had much worse space constraints (smaller scale and eight motorised functions). Was it realistic? No. Did it make the intended user - a 4-year-old kid - hop around with glee? Yes.

800x674.jpg

@suffocation Sorry I dont buy that excuse. The car transporter truck had the engine in the right place, unlike this one, and a mechanism to tilt the cabin. The target audience is the same, the models are very similar. So why not do the concrete mixer the same way as in the car transporter?

Dunno - maybe the feedback they got suggested they should make the fake engine more visible at all times during play :classic:

2 hours ago, suffocation said:

Did it make the intended user - a 4-year-old kid - hop around with glee? Yes.

Exactly.. Its as simple as that. :thumbup:

When we're building for ourselves we may want to be as authentic as possible, but this set isn't an afol set.. its for kids.

6 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

the engine ist under the driver's compartment

You know, I once had a old truck where the engine was really between the seats:laugh: happily with a cover with sound dampening
Somwhere in the 70's, the thing was then allready 20 years old or so.

Using large one-piece moulds for the mixing drum isn't such a bad move compared to previous sets.  42100 and 42030 only had one of the large bucket pieces, while 42112 has 2 large drum halves.  Also, since it's much cheaper, the sales volume is likely higher.  Therefore even if the drum mould is never used in another set, at least 3 times as many will probably be made as compared to the large bucket pieces.

3 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

Using large one-piece moulds for the mixing drum isn't such a bad move compared to previous sets.  42100 and 42030 only had one of the large bucket pieces, while 42112 has 2 large drum halves.  Also, since it's much cheaper, the sales volume is likely higher.  Therefore even if the drum mould is never used in another set, at least 3 times as many will probably be made as compared to the large bucket pieces.

42030 bucket was reused in 42081 though.