Here's a problem: if the drum is engaged in spin mode while the truck is driven, doesn't that mean reversing the truck will dump the load?

57 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Following to good tradition, it begins...

640x360.jpg 

I always appreciate your reverse engeneering models, do you have a stud.io file to share?

Thank you

11 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Here's a problem: if the drum is engaged in spin mode while the truck is driven, doesn't that mean reversing the truck will dump the load?

I think the gearbox is done to avoid this problem. You should dis-engage the spin mode when you go backwards. 

17 minutes ago, mpj said:

I think the gearbox is done to avoid this problem. You should dis-engage the spin mode when you go backwards. 

Hmm my guess is, the whole drum is just driven by the handcrank on the side and there is no connection to the wheels... at least from the rear view both arrows indicate this.

It is really a nice truck but its limited playability is its weakness, on top who needs giant drum pieces, maybe GBC makers?.

I don't know about large drum pieces, but the small ones from City concrete trucks were used in the 42052 as engine nacelles. If TLG goes to the expense of designing a new mould, they'll most likely try to make it in a way that's as easy to reuse as possible. (the Mack bulldog is an exception, maybe dictated by the terms of the contract with Mack)

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Should be an easy problem to solve with a ratchet mechanism, like in the 9396 Helicopter:

4 hours ago, Jundis said:

Hmm my guess is, the whole drum is just driven by the handcrank on the side and there is no connection to the wheels... at least from the rear view both arrows indicate this.

There is a gearbox on one side of the truck, so I think there must be an engaged/dis-engaged mode.

20200602_094701.jpg

Edited by mpj
Typo

It's hard to make out in the little picture, but there are symbols on top of that little change-over catch: Left looks like a screw symbol and right looks like the whole truck with emphasis on the drum... But since the screw is a single mold with the drum, I can't figure out what they mean...

8 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

It's hard to make out in the little picture, but there are symbols on top of that little change-over catch: Left looks like a screw symbol and right looks like the whole truck with emphasis on the drum... But since the screw is a single mold with the drum, I can't figure out what they mean...

I bet that's the function discussed above; either the drum turns when you turn the knob or it turns when the truck drives. 

33 minutes ago, mortenm said:

I bet that's the function discussed above; either the drum turns when you turn the knob or it turns when the truck drives. 

Well yeah, I already made a comment about those functions some time ago (few pages back). But, thinking it over again, it would seem weird that you'd have to disengage the drum while driving backwards to avoid unloading. A ratchet also seems unlikely, as that would make the drum stop turning when going backwards all the same.

In the real car the drum rotates it's own direction regardless of drive direction, and it still rotates even when the car doesn't move, so it has it's own propulsion coming from the engine avoiding the drivetrain gearbox altogether.

But since the target is still kids, it's probably just a switch between wheel drive and manual drive, because rotating a crank when you move the car around is no fun, and kids don't mind switching back and forth during playing, it makes them feel like they're doing serious business (at least my kids do).

I'm not getting my hopes up for a complex gearbox or ratchet in a set this size. Would be a nice mod though...

I'm pretty sure I've seen samples of a 'one-way' connection, where the output axle turns in the same way regardless of which way the input axle turns. I'm not saying that's in the stock model, but it could be modded in.

Also, is it me or is the drum rather short compared to the length of the truck? It actually looks like there's enough space for an 'official' motorization of the drum using a separate motor set.

2 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

Also, is it me or is the drum rather short compared to the length of the truck? It actually looks like there's enough space for an 'official' motorization of the drum using a separate motor set.

It just so happens to be that TLG has started selling 'loose' C+ hubs and motors. So who knows we might see the return of 'motorize with set xx' this year too.

It almost looks like the space in front of the drum, below the water tank is designed for the new horizontal motor to drive the drum?  I wonder if there will be instructions for adding a motor?

You can almost see the chassis bending in the side picture as well, looks like it's lacking a couple of beams

23 minutes ago, paul_delahaye said:

It almost looks like the space in front of the drum, below the water tank is designed for the new horizontal motor to drive the drum?  I wonder if there will be instructions for adding a motor?

You can almost see the chassis bending in the side picture as well, looks like it's lacking a couple of beams

Unlikely. There's a slanted beam in the way and no visible point for the motor to be attached.

Having had another close look at the structure and build techniques, I actually think Aurelien might be the designer. The doors and use of beams are somewhat reminiscent of the Arctic Truck.

9 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

spotted the mudguard in LBG as well

lego-technic-august-2020-9.jpg

Sweet! LBG is my go-to-color for almost everything! (Not that it has the best part variety, it is just the only color I have enough of for big cars)

8 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Sweet! LBG is my go-to-color for almost everything! (Not that it has the best part variety, it is just the only color I have enough of for big cars)

I hope to get 4 of this light bluish gray small mudguards for one my car project :devil:

21 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

spotted the mudguard in LBG as well

That looks like white sadly. considering with beam on side of that mudguard panel, mudguard panel is more brighter than beam.