Stephle59

[MOC] [WIP] Zombillenium - Amusement Park

Can't remember exactly when I first ran across this project but I continue to find it impressive. There are so many creative ideas here, from the skeleton gate logo to the vomiting face and everything else besides. Thanks for keeping us updated, I'm glad the creator of the comic is on board with this, and thank you for sharing all your progress!

Okay, I'm catching up on the posts here a bit, sorry.

--> My creation for Halloween:
I had launched a small contest on Instagram, where fans could offer me an idea to realize: either a passage from the film, or a box of a sheet of one of the volumes already published.

3 ideas were put to the vote:
- The demonstration / the strike
- A scene where Sirius arrives in town on a motorcycle, and is manhandled by the inhabitants: he then takes out his scythe to defend himself.
- The concert

And it was the latter who won the vote by a short head.
So I announced that I would realize the idea for today, and it's done:

50550919902_2e7025ed7e_c.jpg
Zombillenium, concert for Halloween by Stephle59, on Flickr

50550919857_2969f641f4_c.jpg

50550058373_e821bfb158_c.jpg

50550792496_eb8daa92b1_c.jpg
Zombillenium, concert for Halloween - Backstage by Stephle59, on Flickr

To the famous tune of Mat Bastard, singer of the group "Skip the Use":
"Everybody stand as one
We don't care where you come from
You'll never be alone

Hey hey hey..."

Here is a screenshot from the film that served as a support:
50550115353_90509e73ed_c.jpg
Zombillénium, the concert - The original by Stephle59, on Flickr

I hope you will like it :grin:

... And now, here's the new part I'm working on: the first of the park's two main towers.

50608436523_652461084f_c.jpg
Zombillénium, tower WIP 3 by Stephle59, on Flickr

- I started from the points of the tower to realize the whole. I had, in the stock of parts, aircraft metaparts, which only needed to be used to form this roof with the so particular design of "duckbill".
- I put rounded slopes that I had in stock to give an idea of the diameter of the tower. The final color will be in light bluish gray color. The rounded shape is pretty good, right?
- The height shown here is that of the first section. 2 other additional sections of 24 studs (in SNOT) each are provided. I put Gretchen at the bottom of this section to give you an idea of the height.
- The internal structure absorbs all the constraints: it is an assembly of 2 x 2 round bricks reinforced by a Technic axis of 32 long (!) which crosses the whole, from a new sole created for the opportunity, right up to the roof.
- I created small porthole-type modules that I can put everywhere. Here the bottom is presented with the small canopy, as in volume 4
- The interior of the glass roof is fitted out: I suggested the panoramic restaurant run by ghosts, an idea by Arthur de Pins that he has never used in comics or in the film. Considering the place, I made the "simpler". A table and two chairs, topped on a mezzanine-style platform. Sections of decor enhance the "background". I'm not going any further, the technique just goes behind ...
- The integration of LEDs in the ceiling is planned to illuminate the interior of the glass roof, in addition to the stained-glass window whose lighting has already been carried out.

Now it remains to order the necessary parts to complete the rounding of the "trunk" of the tower...

On 10/8/2020 at 11:42 PM, jimmynick said:

Can't remember exactly when I first ran across this project but I continue to find it impressive. There are so many creative ideas here, from the skeleton gate logo to the vomiting face and everything else besides. Thanks for keeping us updated, I'm glad the creator of the comic is on board with this, and thank you for sharing all your progress!

Oh thank you so much jimmynick, glad to read you like it :)

Some new about this project.
Here is the first official event of the amusement park, with my RLUG Fanabriques, this last weekend.

During Arthur de Pins's tour launched for the volume 5 of the comic book in France, the first part of the park made its official inaugural outing at the FNAC in Strasbourg, for a day.

50896510743_8762d5709f_c.jpg
Zombillénium - Exhibition at Fnac Strasbourg, France by Stephle59, on Flickr

The "surprise" is that Arthur de Pins came to see the park IRL, after almost a year and a half of chatting with him through social networks. The date was not official, because the FNAC can not make a signing session welcoming a large number of public, given the health context. And that's why Arthur only tours in independent bookstores, for signing sessions only by reservation. As he came to Metz on January 30, he decided to come to Strasbourg the day before. He therefore came to sign some limited edition ex-libris, reserved for the first 70 buyers of a volume of Zombillenium

50897223751_087caa0d72_c.jpg

It was a great day, unforgettable for me. I believe if it hadn't been for the french COVID's curfew we would have stayed a lot longer, and Arthur would still be playing with the amusement park.

I had the right to my dedications of course (the 5 volumes and even the book "The Art of Zombillenium", which I only discovered when I got home), and I present here the two most outstanding for me:

50897339167_988d359b79_c.jpg

The ultimate reward in my eyes !

I present to you the WIP of the pumpkin-shaped parade float of the park, adapted from the film and the book "The Art of Zombillenium" :

50997970117_9b24974253_c.jpg
Zombillenium pumpkin-shaped parade float WIP by Stephle59, on Flickr

And all the difficulties which accompany it.

The pearl gold parts catalog is a horror. Luckily I managed to get my hands on the late Prince of Persia sets at the time, and I'm glad to be able to use the pieces I've never had the opportunity to use until now.
Here, it is as (even more) twisted as the realization of the dark red / tan building. Except that I have much less space to do it, so it's piece by piece optimization.

And a big adaptation to the stock I have. Unfortunately I'll have to order a few more pieces, I won't have enough to finish the rounded shapes of the pumpkin.

The lower part of the float will host a hot dog vendor, the upper part of the float will be one equipped with tables and benches to eat and enjoy the park while driving.

Your work is so much fun. I love seeing this get updated and where things are going. :wub: Awesome stuff!

Thank you so much Kintobor. I'm really happy to read you like my work.
At the end of the year, the roller coaster will normally be completed, with its two large towers and industrial buildings. Still a lot of WIP to see until then ;)

51036384227_05b7807072_c.jpg
Zombillénium, tower WIP by Stephle59, on Flickr

51036384182_894877b24a_c.jpg
Zombillénium, tower WIP by Stephle59, on Flickr

Edited by Stephle59

Small picture of the progress being made:

51069533852_496582dc95_b.jpg
Zombillenium, season 2 - WIP by Stephle59, on Flickr

The chandelier in the restaurant is now lit, as is the side window.
I received the 50 cm Power Functions cable today.

I took BobDeQuatre's advice, the pumpkin cart stairs are shortened.

Below you can see a first attempt at a more classic roller coaster cart set, as seen in the comic.Not satisfied for the moment, but you have to start with something...

On the other hand, the bridge between the towers is well advanced. The global design is there.

I'm now waiting for the Bricks & Pieces orders to finish these parts.

But others will start soon, including the second tower's frame.

It's well on the way to be finished by the end of the year, even if there is still a lot of work to do !

Am loving reading the updates on this! Those towers are just :wub:! Especially the walkway connecting them! I would love to see it look a little more 'decayed' but I understand you are using reference material to make this and so it wouldn't be in keeping with the source material...? 

The lit up chandelier is a great touch! 

I'm also happy for you that you got to meet the guy as well! 

Oh, thank you so much Fuppylodders !

In the story developed by the author, the amusement park was built in the 70s / early 80s. The buildings which compose it aren't decayed, or at least very little. We can see in volume 2 of the comic book, that in fact, all the buildings didn't exist, they just took place on the site of an old mine in the North of France, which was completely destroyed after an explosion. So they imitate what could be found there.
So I want to respect the original atmosphere, in its retranscription with our Danish bricks.

The last order of parts has arrived, putting the end to the work on these two towers.

51205942962_8eeca3c576_b.jpg

Zombillenium, both towers - final version by Stephle59, on Flickr

Some info : about 5000 parts including 1200 light bluish gray curved slopes 3 x 2. About 80 hours of work spread over about 6 months, to complete the two master pieces of the middle of the amusement park.
Now it's time to set the scene, with the rest of the buildings and especially thé much awaited roller coasters. For the moment, I don't publish anything officially on it, cause I still have a long phase of tests to realize before.

Small picture of the Let's Go exhibition that took place on June 19 and 20 in Ostwald, near Strasbourg (France) :

51273713321_6d5d81286d_b.jpg
Zombillénium at Let's Go exhibition by Stephle59, on Flickr

I am present on the picture, so it gives you an idea of the size of the project, and the both towers.

And here, a photo of the door of the amusement park, taken by Bartosch Salmanski, a professional photographer from Strasbourg, which I find so beautiful !
51273897778_63fe7c2c8e_c.jpg
Zombillenium gate, picture by Bartosch Salmanski by Stephle59, on Flickr

Then, little video made during the exhibition :

Edited by Stephle59

This is an impressive process. It is neat seeing the updates. I don't know anything about the source material other than what you've shared, but it seems to be hitting on target, especially since the creator was able to meet and discuss things.

I wish I had some project I could be this passionate about. I tend to wax/wane my LEGO interest and there is nothing that I want to build other than small things that ultimately have no connection to my interests...

On 6/29/2021 at 9:39 PM, TheLegoDr said:

This is an impressive process. It is neat seeing the updates. I don't know anything about the source material other than what you've shared, but it seems to be hitting on target, especially since the creator was able to meet and discuss things.

I wish I had some project I could be this passionate about. I tend to wax/wane my LEGO interest and there is nothing that I want to build other than small things that ultimately have no connection to my interests... 

In fact I have different sources to advance on the project: the books, the sketches that the author sent me, the eponymous film (the freeze-frames are salvific by the way), and the author himself, which helps greatly :wub:

And now, I start again after the summer vacations.

51410873370_c51d4dbd14_b.jpg
Zombillénium, roller coaster building WIP by Stephle59, on Flickr

I started the construction of one of the two big buildings that will host the towers, here for the management tower. This is the one that houses the loading docks for the roller coaster.

As expected, I was inspired by Bruno Couchinho's design to create it. The two large chimneys made me want to add a coke oven as a decoration, among other things. This oven is "functional", I added a light brick to simulate the coal heating inside:

The gas recovery is also part of it, as well as the yellow/black paint to show the dangerous places, here on one of the pylons of the structure.

I'm currently working on finishing the boarding platforms, raising the rails by one plate because the cars are too low. And the famous electrical cabinet that serves as the entrance to the elevator, like in the movie. All this will be published soon :wink:

Edited by Stephle59

What's next:
51416851495_c941e1b322_b.jpg
Zombillénium, roller coaster building WIP (2) by Stephle59, on Flickr

Quite a few things here:

- the rollercoaster lead car gets the newest skull from the Ninjago sets. The miner's helmet holds, but the clutch power isn't great. No choice here : I had to put a little bit of paste to fix it so that it doesn't fall in the loop... But it's clearly nicer like that, isn't it?

- the rails are raised by one plate as planned.

- the footbridge is well advanced, the railings are partly made with Ninjago samurai swords

- the platforms are almost finished, the hazard warning strips are in place and the black side seals imitating real rubber ones are all installed. 'Mind the gap', as the voice of the London Underground would say :grin:
- the electrical cabinet, the secret entrance to the elevator of the management tower, is also put in place

- all the exterior walls are taking shape. I'll be relieved when the bulk arrives, the stock of medium nougat bricks is very low...

And now, I am happy to present you the finally finished building:

51673031809_e0c3dd3ac4_c.jpg
Zombillenium, first roller coaster building done ! by Stephle59, on Flickr

51673031784_786bc83f9b_c.jpg
Zombillenium, first roller coaster building done ! by Stephle59, on Flickr

It's very hard to take a picture of it at home, with the steering tower which is 1m40 high.
The chimneys have received the cables that reinforce them. No Lego string which is too thick here, I opted for polyester thread from Güttermann, thinner and stronger.

More soon !

I start this first post of the year 2022 by wishing you my best wishes for this new year! May it be rich in reunions, exhibitions and other beautiful meetings!

51799342378_5d1f56b076_b.jpg
Zombillenium - Happy New Year 2022 by Stephle59, on Flickr

You can also discover the central part of the amusement park, with its two main buildings. There are about 50 parts missing to finish the roof of the left building, I'm waiting for the order from Lego... More pictures soon.